Involuntary Eye Movement May Provide Definitive Diagnosis of ADHD

Soulskill posted about 3 months ago | from the either-that-or-a-massive-brain-hemmorhage dept.

Medicine 200

Zothecula writes: If a child who's simply very active is mistakenly diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), he can end up on pharmaceuticals such as Ritalin unnecessarily. The problem is, it can be quite difficult to determine if someone actually has ADHD, and misdiagnoses are common. Now, however, researchers from Tel Aviv University have announced that analyzing a patient's eye movements may be the key. "The researchers found a direct correlation between ADHD and the inability to suppress eye movement in the anticipation of visual stimuli. The research also reflected improved performance by participants taking methylphenidate, which normalized the suppression of involuntary eye movements to the average level of the control group."

I don't know what they're talking about (4, Funny)

sandytaru (1158959) | about 3 months ago | (#47679843)

I can stay focused just fine (*flicks eyes to where Outlook just refreshed*) and concentrate for long periods of time (*glances outside - cute squirrel!*) and I can assure you my eyes stay glued firmly to the screen. (*twitches and changes tabs because the title bar just changed on one*)

Re:I don't know what they're talking about (1)

So, what you are saying is, distractions distract? Say it ain't so!

I'm serious. If you think your example is some example of ADHD, then no wonder we are drugging our kids up into zombies. *Normal* brain gets distracted by distractions, especially when task at hand is not engaging or otherwise deemed important by said individual.

So close Outlook, close other programs you don't need, turn off Slashdot instead of looking to drown out said distractions with drugs.

Re:I don't know what they're talking about (4, Insightful)

sandytaru (1158959) | about 3 months ago | (#47680897)

I actually have to do just that a lot of the time. Also, music helps a bunch - background noise that isn't random allows me to keep my mind on the task at hand instead of bouncing all over the place.

We also a problem of celebrating the ability to multi-task as an adult, and yet getting on the case of any child who exhibits those abilities because they're not "focused" enough.

Re: I don't know what they're talking about (4, Interesting)

As someone recently diagnosed, my experience has never been one of distraction, per se. I would force myself to sit at my desk and stare at a project. I might read an article every now and then, but I was never constantly going back and forth. My problem was actually forcing my brain to work on the task when it wasn't particularly interesting. If the task took no concentration it was much easier. If the task was highly stimulating (I.e. learning lots of new stuff) eventually I'd slip into "the zone". But for most stuff it was a daily struggle.

For 15 years I worked 60+ hour weeks (sometimes 80+), partly because I had to compensate with time for my inability to focus on work.

I thought I was just undisciplined. But in any event meds changed my life completely. Now I can work an 8 hour day, and while its sometimes still a struggle I don't feel like a failure at the end of the day. (A psychotherapist thought my anxiety about work was what kept me from focusing. But I kept telling her it was the other way around. Once I met a psychiatrist he understood immediately and even had anecdotes about a friend from medical school who exhibited my behavior.)

For anybody in my position, don't think you're stupid or it's your fault. I have an IQ in the 99.99th percentile, actually managed to fumble through a good law school, and I'm a well paid software engineer. In retrospect my "issue" helped make me who I am. It explains, at least in part, my varied interests and ability to deeply focus on stimulating activities. But in our culture it began to make my life miserable, especially in middle adulthood.

I used to be skeptical about ADHD. The list of symptoms reads like a horoscope; that is, everybody can identify. But frankly I don't care about any of that anymore. Psychiatry may still be in the stone age in many regards, but I'm doing much better now. So much about my life, even as a kid, makes much more sense now. I had invented all kinds of explanations for why I was the kind of student, worker, husband what I am. But in retrospect ADHD is such a much more elegant explanation.

I'm also a life-long stutter, which also fits the pattern. But ironically my stuttering helped keep me more reserved than the stereotypical ADHD kid or adult. To not stutter I always have to carefully and deliverstely think through what I want to say aloud, which mitigates my tendency to interrupt others or speak in a hyperactive manner.

Re:I don't know what they're talking about (4, Informative)

JMJimmy (2036122) | about 3 months ago | (#47680673)

They need to be specific, this applies to ADHD-H. This does not apply to ADHD-I and is questionable with ADHD-C. I have ADHD-I and I have the problem that my eyes get sore from hyperfocusing to the extent that my body forgets to blink.

Besides, they already have a definitive diagnosis. A brain scan. Aside from the very obvious differences in brain wave patterns, the structure of the brain is physically different. ADHD-H will show the centre of the brain growing at an accelerated rate compared to the other areas of the brain. ADHD-I will show under development of the frontal and/or temporal lobes and a noted size difference in the rear of the brain (something on the right side rear is smaller)... I'm totally not awake so all the appropriate terms and thoughts in general aren't coming to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?... [youtube.com] --this lecture talks about it... it's split into a bunch of random pieces so I don't know which one the ADHD-I brain portion is in... that or there's a 3 hour video with it all (I think it's the same lecture)

inb4 (0)

"That's just called being a kid!"

Re:inb4 (0, Flamebait)

It is. ADD and ADHD are fake "disorders" invented by doctors and pharmaceutical companies to get kids addicted to their drugs and make lifelong customers.

When I was a kid, nobody had ADD/ADHD because it hadn't been fabricated yet.

Re:inb4 (0)

When I was a kid, nobody had ADD/ADHD because it hadn't been fabricated yet.

It's just no discipline.

Re:inb4 (1)

> When I was a kid, nobody had ADD/ADHD because it hadn't been fabricated yet.

Uh huh. When I was a kid, nobody had AIDS because it hadn't been fabricated yet.

Re:inb4 (5, Insightful)

p00kiethebear (569781) | about 3 months ago | (#47680461)

It must be nice to jerk yourself off with a story like that. You're absolutely right. Millions of scientists and doctors and pharmacists are all fucking conspiring to sell your kids ritalin! Are the corporate overlords also making you get vaccinated? It must be nice where you live, being able to stick your head in the sand and make up stories about why things don't exist rather than looking deeply for reasons why they DO.

Re:inb4 (1)

robsku (1381635) | about 3 months ago | (#47680741)

I so wish I had mod points :)

Re: inb4 (0)

Wrong. Also, ADHD (but without the name) has been known for over 100 years.

Re: inb4 (1)

robsku (1381635) | about 3 months ago | (#47680797)

Actually, no. I presume you are talking about MBD (minimal brain dysfunction)? It's a broad generalized diagnosis that was often the diagnosis for ADD and ADHD people before medical science progressed to know of, understand and diagnose ADD and ADHD. It covered (and still covers?) many other medical conditions that were not fully understood back then.

Re:inb4 (3, Informative)

PRMan (959735) | about 3 months ago | (#47680721)

It is overdiagnosed. I've seen kids with ADHD that can sit and play a videogame for 3 hours. They can watch a full-length movie no problem. But when it's time for homework or school, they "can't focus". THOSE kids DO NOT have ADHD.

And then I've seen kids that can't do any of those things. Every 5 minutes they HAVE to do something different. They can't watch a 30-minute TV show. Those are the real cases and need medication.

Re:inb4 (5, Insightful)

RyuuzakiTetsuya (195424) | about 3 months ago | (#47680889)

Nice diagnosis doctor assface.

Check the research. [nytimes.com]

Basically, ADHD isn't being able to sit still for a long time, it's not being able to focus on things that aren't fun.

For most brains, being able to get through say, homework, isn't a problem. You just sit down, figure, it's going to take about 20 minutes to do all the math problems and you go play video games.

For someone with ADHD, the brain is constantly craving rewards. So video games, movies, etc. all basically jam a fork into the pleasure centers of the brain. So ADHD kids can sit still and enjoy the fuck out of it. When the gears shift, and into say work mode, there's nothing jamming against the pleasure center and the mind loses focus.

Re:inb4 (2, Insightful)

The ability to "hyper-focus" on certain stimuli (such as video games) is a hallmark symptom of ADHD...

Re:inb4 (4, Insightful)

robsku (1381635) | about 3 months ago | (#47680729)

Ignorance is a bliss. ADD and ADHD can actually be physically shown as disorder of the brains dopamine system - but you wouldn't know that since you haven't actually studied any real information about ADD/ADHD as it's easier to hold on to your pre-determined opinions when you have no facts to confuse you.

Also, that ADD/ADHD is a "children issue" only is something that makes me angry. I was diagnosed with ADHD at age of 26. Since I've started with medication my life, in certain areas has become much easier - some would say much more "normal", but I like to avoid that term. I was finally able to get through education on IT field - something people like you claimed I had problems only because of lack of motivation. They say that lack of motivation was the reason I couldn't pass a 3-year education even though I tried for 5-years, and they happily miss seeing anything illogical in their statement.

I do sometimes wonder how different my life had been if ADD/ADHD had been known when I was a kid. For sure I would have avoided many problems with school as well as with other problems I made my family go through... Child services tried to find ways to help me and my family, but they didn't know about ADHD back then, so the reasons behind my misbehaviours remained mystery.

May I presume you are a US citizen? I apologize if I'm wrong... However if I'm right then I have less problems understanding how, no matter how ignorant and irrational, you have come to your conclusions. It is true that medical industry is milking this thing - and USA is the leader in over-diagnosing of ADD/ADHD. Still, just like with chronic depression, the fact that some doctors are over diagnosing a medical condition and the fact that pharmaceutical companies are always more than willing to milk such errors to the maximum does not mean that said medical condition is false. Also it's logical fallacy to say that because a condition had not been known before a time, it didn't thus exists before said time.

Re:inb4 (1)

JMJimmy (2036122) | about 3 months ago | (#47680739)

When I was a kid, nobody had ADD/ADHD because it hadn't been fabricated yet.

You were born prior to 1775? Must suck stepping on your balls so much.

Re:inb4 (0)

tbq (874261) | about 3 months ago | (#47680517)

"That's just called being a kid!"

It's also called parents not parenting their children, which makes it very difficult for teachers to deal with these unparented kids in class. Drugs are a relatively easy band-aid for dealing the behavioral symptoms of kids that are raised by TVs, computers, and other gadgets rather than their parents (who were likely raised the same way). There may be huge, negative ramifications for dosing a significant percentage of an entire generation up to their eyeballs with meds in the foreseeable future.

Re: inb4 (0)

You sound like someone who either has "perfect" kids or none at all. Spend a few days with my kids unmedicated and I'll bet that you'll be reaching for a bottle, either their meds or something "medicinal" for you. They are very good, loving, and caring, but they just have some miswiring in a small part of their brain. I have had ADHD all of my life and wish that I was diagnosed as such as a kid so that I could have the help I needed, just like my kids and all of the others who fight ADHD and its variants. I envy you who live with "perfect" kids or spouses. I'd love for our family to have a stress-free life. But I know that my kids will be that much stronger for having to conquer this adversity now then when they are older, like I am.

Re:inb4 (1)

robsku (1381635) | about 3 months ago | (#47680833)

You make a good point that would be hard to disagree with and not look like fool, but going to the other extreme and denying the whole existence of ADD and ADHD (especially in countries where over diagnosing of it is not rampant as it is in USA) would be irresponsible as well.

Re:inb4 (2)

tbq (874261) | about 3 months ago | (#47681449)

I don't think there is much argument that ADD/ADHD are recognized and classified conditions. It's also obvious that the treatments do help those who have it, otherwise those treatments likely wouldn't be demanded by so many parents/teachers/doctors to try to help their kids. In the US, it seems far too common that we are too quick to diagnose ADD/ADHD and give treatment for symptoms when the underlying cause isn't ADHD at all but often bored kids with unfocused energy merely acting like energetic kids.

Rick Deckard says... (1)

"We call it voight-kampff for short"

Re:Rick Deckard says... (-1)

Have you ever fucked a bot by mistake, Mr. Deckard?

No worries about Ritalin (2)

jrivar59 (146428) | about 3 months ago | (#47679895)

If used incorrect, just apply the antidote: Ritalout.

Re:No worries about Ritalin (3, Funny)

Sporkinum (655143) | about 3 months ago | (#47680317)

Apply directly to forehead.

Re:No worries about Ritalin (1)

Christ Jesus, what fucking dipshits moderate up god-awful tripe like this? Boy, this is one ZaNy "joke", presumably for the class of persons that find "Everybody Loves Raymond" to be high comedy.

Kids just need a whoopin (-1)

Beat those sorry ass kids straight. Everyone needs to quit being such pussy fags.

Re:Kids just need a whoopin (1)

oldmac31310 (1845668) | about 3 months ago | (#47680055)

Beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat with a baseball bat...

I would be very interested... (3, Insightful)

sudden.zero (981475) | about 3 months ago | (#47679953)

...in how they determined that their control group didn't have ADHD since it's so hard to diagnose, lol! All jesting aside I think that this is very interesting, and if it works I would love for my step daughter to be tested this way. She has been diagnosed ADHD, and I believe the diagnosis to be correct. She has trouble focusing on anything regardless of environmental variables.

Re:I would be very interested... (2, Insightful)

qpqp (1969898) | about 3 months ago | (#47680143)

She has trouble focusing on anything regardless of environmental variables.

As others have pointed out, in most cases this is called "being a kid." If something's presented in a boring way, try to do that differently. And, more importantly, try to think outside your box and find out things on which she does focus pretty well.

Re:I would be very interested... (5, Insightful)

Andtalath (1074376) | about 3 months ago | (#47680393)

Nope.
Notice the "regardless of the circumstances".

Medicating with amphetamine all the time is obviosuly quite moronic.
I myself need it to function normally in the work-environment.

I didn't even realize what people meant by saying "just concentrate" until I took my first methylphenedate when I was 25.

ADHD is an issue, and it's NOT just kids being kids.
It's a fundamentally different way for the brain/body to function then the norm.

Re:I would be very interested... (2)

Mister Liberty (769145) | about 3 months ago | (#47680629)

Yes and no.
There are two kinds of ADHD. The 'old' one and the hyped one.
The former is pathologically founded in the child; the latter is socially founded in the parent.

Re:I would be very interested... (2)

robsku (1381635) | about 3 months ago | (#47681063)

And "anti-ADHD" people, having ignored actual information and studies about it, lack the knowledge that it's actually physically proven to be caused by irregular functioning of the brains dopamine system. Pardon my france in case the above seems linguistically wrong - personally I blame my ADHD ;)

Re:I would be very interested... (1)

X-Ray Artist (1784416) | about 3 months ago | (#47681283)

This is more than "just being a kid." We all have to cope with boredom. Expecting things to be customized to our particular level of interest in unrealistic. I have been ADHD since childhood and it causes problems from time to time. Fortunately, I work at a job that has plenty of distractions as part of the job. Hopefully, I usually remember to get back to the tasks I have been distracted from. I tried the drug solution for awhile and it did make me more able to concentrate, but I didn't like the stifling of my creative side. ADHD/ADD are real but often overdiagnosed.

Eh, I thought there already was... (2)

Ecuador (740021) | about 3 months ago | (#47680023)

I thought there already was a definitive diagnostic test. See here [cc.com] or here [cc.com] (for those who like me are not in the US or a country where you can access the videos, you will need a browser plugin to view them, e.g. I have Media Hint - sorry for the inconvenience).

Fake diseases (0, Troll)

oldmac31310 (1845668) | about 3 months ago | (#47680029)

True, it is always difficult to diagnose invented conditions, diseases etc. But sure, there is money to be made from other people's misery. Diagnose at will!

Re:Fake diseases (4, Insightful)

Lazere (2809091) | about 3 months ago | (#47680081)

Hardly an invented condition when people with ADHD respond to stimulants differently from others.

Re:Fake diseases (0)

Yeah, welcome to human variety. Everyone responds to stimulants differently than everyone else. So?

Re:Fake diseases (0)

Yeah, I can take 100 people and put them in a room with a big bag of pot too, and WOW, wouldn't you know it? There's all kinds of different reactions. Some people got really hungry. Some people laughed a lot, some got really paranoid, and others just fell asleep. And those are the varied reactions to consuming a natural plant. Just imagine what kind of side effects and reactions you're going to see across those same 100 people when you introduce them to chemically-laded pharmaceuticals...

Sorry, but the jury is still out on the whole ADD/ADHD mess. Kind of hard to take it seriously when even the "father" of ADHD seriously questioned the validity of diagnoses and suggested we were over-prescribing the shit out of it, which is rather obvious when you look at the statistics. (Yeah, real surprise there to find that Big Pharma would be more interested in profits than ethics...)

Re:Fake diseases (0)

oldmac31310 (1845668) | about 3 months ago | (#47680493)

I totally agree. To their undying shame, many parents and teachers just do not want to have to deal with children that don't conform. Stamping out natural character traits in childhood does not bode well for the child's adult life. Why was my original post modded troll? Ha, ha. I suppose the fake disease asbergers crowd saw to that! We're all diseased! We have an excuse for our bad behaviour! Don't blame me, it was my diagnosed condition's fault. Bah!

Re: Fake diseases (0)

Must be nice to be perfect. You had better hope someone doesn't think the same as you about Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, or any other brain-related issue when you get older. However, it sounds like some atrophy has already started to occur so you'd better find a sympathetic ear now before it's too late.

Re:Fake diseases (2)

iggymanz (596061) | about 3 months ago | (#47680437)

1. We hypothesize a disorder X
2. We observe eople respond differently to stimulants
3. We conclude disorder X exists

Nope, back to logic 101 for you

Re:Fake diseases (1)

Lazere (2809091) | about 3 months ago | (#47681009)

Nice try. Not quite right though. It's more like:
1. We observer some people having concentration issues across the board.
2. We hypothesize disorder X with prediction Y
3. We run brain scans and find out prediction Y is right
4. We hypothesize that stimulants may work differently on these people
5. We run tests and find out that stimulants work differently on these people
6. We conclude disorder X exists and stimulants can treat it

So, back to scientific method 101 for you.

Re:Fake diseases (1)

iggymanz (596061) | about 3 months ago | (#47681149)

plenty of reputable doctors question the very existence of the disease, since children diagnosed with it in one setting show no signs of it in others (doing something they are actually interested in). So your point 1 might have a problem and if so the whole thing collapses.

Re:Fake diseases (1)

Lazere (2809091) | about 3 months ago | (#47681329)

They can question all they want, but if they want to disprove it, they'll have to provide some evidence to counteract the evidence that's already there.

Re:Fake diseases (2)

ColdWetDog (752185) | about 3 months ago | (#47681469)

Nobody (outside Slashdot and other highly reputable bits of the Internet) really questions whether ADD exists.

Many people wonder about a number of aspects of the problem:

- Where the break between normal and abnormal is. Like most biological issues, this behavior is on a continuum. Where do you intervene?
- Which leads to the question of diagnostic accuracy and efficiency.

We know that amphetamine class drugs are helpful in real ADD. But these drugs (like virtually all drugs) have risks and benefits. Since amphetamines carry significant risks, who do you treat and how long. It is also clear than non-pharmeceutical approaches can work, but these are typically labor and time intensive. How do you manage this?

So there is plenty to discuss within the framework of diagnosis and treatment of the disease. But it most certainly exists.

100 percent bullshit (2, Insightful)

uCallHimDrJ0NES (2546640) | about 3 months ago | (#47680037)

The persistence of the notion of this disorder is disturbing. The method by which it's diagnosed is faulty. You can't come in after all this legacy of crap and tell us that you can diagnose it physiologically using a single criteria like this. These assertions will be disproven within the year. The entire ADHD diagnosis phenomenon is the culture struggling with the ramifications of human interaction with technology. You can't set the example of "pay close attention to the stimulating box for long periods of time" over multiple generations and not expect a massive change in the way kids behave. Whether they fit in with our plans or not, these kids are NORMAL. It's the expectation that this generation will behave like the previous one which is faulty.

Re:100 percent bullshit (0)

That's funny. I was diagnosed with it when the extent of high tech in my daily world was a walkman.

Re:100 percent bullshit (0)

Since one of the technologies which has been identified as a contributing factor to ADHD (the television) predates the Walkman by several decades, it's not funny at all. Your attempt at being clever is, though. ;)

Re:100 percent bullshit (2, Insightful)

Tailhook (98486) | about 3 months ago | (#47680331)

He was right except for the part about "interactions with technology." We've built up some sort of model kid and heavily medicate those that fail to follow the model closely. That model kid happens to be highly risk adverse, entirely compatible with quiet suburban life and profoundly concerned with the sensitivities of its elders, their jet set lifestyles and half dozen credit lines. It's got little to do with stimulating boxes and everything to do with shoehorning kids into compliant slots in their parents world.

His skepticism of this supposed new diagnostic method is spot on. This is pseudo-science used to rationalize drugging people that don't fit the model, employ vast numbers of highly paid specialists and sink wealth into "health care."

Re:100 percent bullshit (0)

What do you propose we do for kids who do not fit the standard model and are therefore thrown to the wolves without pharmaceutical help? We know the issue, we know a variety of solutions, but society has not responded. Do you propose we just let people be collatoral damage?

Re:100 percent bullshit (0)

And when the Walkman was in a world full of newspapers and books, it was every bit as distracting as the internet is today.

Believe me I know. There's no way in hell I could have ignored my parents half as well as I was able to with a Walkman and a pair of headphones on.

Re:100 percent bullshit (2)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 3 months ago | (#47680167)

On the plus side, even if we accept the assertion that the disorder is nonsense (which is questionable; but for the sake of argument); the usual treatment has the virtue of being sufficiently useful, safe, and even pleasant that plenty of people who don't even suspect ADHD will try to score some through alternate channels or complain until they get a prescription.

The risks aren't zero, and there are certain people who should stay away; but psychostimulants are some very nice drugs.

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

uCallHimDrJ0NES (2546640) | about 3 months ago | (#47680973)

I have to reject that. Slippery slope. If we take enough drugs, we can totally mechanize and work/play on our machines/selves/machineselves all the time, and be "content" about it. Why would that be good, as opposed to changing our expectation of the next generation being the same mental configuration as the previous one?

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

Lazere (2809091) | about 3 months ago | (#47681125)

ADHD meds are no more a slippery slope than Antidepressants before them. And they were no more a slippery slope than the Tobacco/Pot/Alcohol/Coffee before them. Arguments like yours are why Slippery Slope is considered a logical fallacy.

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

uCallHimDrJ0NES (2546640) | about 3 months ago | (#47681181)

I'm saying that seeking chemical sources to soothe over the overabundance of reward-based interactions we are experiencing will naturally progress towards escalating both the drugs and the reward-based interactions. I apologize if I misused the term "slippery slope". Invoking antidepressants as an example of harmlessness is far more questionable than any incorrect naming of a type of fallacy I may have done.

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

Lazere (2809091) | about 3 months ago | (#47681281)

No, you used the term "slippery slope" correctly. The very premise of your slope is flawed. As a society, we've had mind altering drugs that directly stimulate our reward centers for as long as we've been a society. Nearly everyone takes some kind, but we still have an incredibly small percentage of people looking to use the harder stuff (antidepressants, ADHD drugs, street drugs). Given this history, it seems highly unlikely that we're heading toward a future of "mechanized work/play" any time soon.

Re:100 percent bullshit (0)

Which medical school did you graduate from?

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

uCallHimDrJ0NES (2546640) | about 3 months ago | (#47681045)

Which medical school did you graduate from?

You don't know? I graduated from the school that passes out pieces of paper that prove I'm more authoritative than you are. Look at my creds, they prove everything! It's way better than thinking about what I'm saying. Now shut up and call me Doctor.

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

mveloso (325617) | about 3 months ago | (#47680415)

Humans have been interacting with technology since the dawn of the species.

"Hey grog, stop staring into that fucking fire all the time, it'll ruin your eyes"
"That beer is going to kill you"
"That meat stuff you're eating is unnatural. Humans were meant to eat berries and plants and shit."
"Cooking is going to rot your brain. Meat was meant to be eaten raw."

I mean, come on. Blame chemicals, which are more likely to be the problem than "man interacting with technology." That's like blaming your fleshbot for the fact that you don't meet any women - oh wait.

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

uCallHimDrJ0NES (2546640) | about 3 months ago | (#47680937)

You misunderstand me. I'm not blaming technology. I'm blaming our lack of understanding of how our interaction with it affects us as a group over time.

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

Andtalath (1074376) | about 3 months ago | (#47680421)

Could you please just talk with any psychiatrist for this subject for five minutes?

Stop trying to apply common sense, which is basically just a nice word for prejudive, instead of lookint at the facts.

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

trytoguess (875793) | about 3 months ago | (#47681007)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but from I know of human history the expectation of children was that they should be able to quietly observe their parents and learn from them. And of course early actions like hunting would require paying close attention for long periods of time. I suppose ADHD would've been ok when we were hunter gathers, but once we moved on to tool useage and planning on ways to procure food, it it would've become a liability.

Re:100 percent bullshit (1)

robsku (1381635) | about 3 months ago | (#47681257)

There is no "massive change" in percentage of people with ADD/ADHD though, it just was previously not understood. I can sympathesize with you though as you come from diseased culture where over- and mis- diagnosing AD(H)D is the norm (wtf is that shit about "pat close attention..." about? That has nothing to do with methods of diagnosing ADD or ADHD in civilized societies) and adults that are lazy fsck's who do happily accept drugs as substitute for parenting to escape their responsibilities. Sad as it is, your diseased culture (and I make no claims that I live in perfect one) doesn't mean ADD and ADHD are fake diseased - they are very well known and studied. It used to be that people with (real) AD(H)D were diagnosed with MBD, a very general and broad diagnose which covered many back then not understood medical conditions - yet the percentage of people diagnosed with MBD was way way way lower than the percent diagnosed with ADD/ADHD *IN USA* today. The rest of the world is different though.

Also, AD(H)D is not just "kid thing" - I was diagnosed with ADHD at age of 26 (and year 2006).

The drugs are terrible (4, Informative)

bluefoxlucid (723572) | about 3 months ago | (#47680085)

They put me on methylphenedate. Then they put me on Risperdone to control the psychosis induced by methylphenedate. The drugs are horrible. The only thing worse is Prednizone.

Phenotropil is effective in small doses, with fewer and less severe side effects. I did the pharmacology myself, with lots of Googling. Psychosis isn't a side effect--Phenotropil sharply controls, reduces, and prevents dementia--but INSOMNIA sure as hell is!

Okay, I found better drugs. But the drugs still have bad side effects. Let's face it: Insomnia is bad. I have always had delayed sleep phase disorder (self-diagnosis): if I don't rigidly discipline my sleep, any deviation causes me to stay awake. Stay up until 10:30? Become no longer tired, until 1-2am, then sleep until noon--and continue to do this until I somehow fix my sleep cycle, so I can't ever have a night out. On-call fucking sucks. And now, due to further conditioning, I not only can't sleep early, but I can't stay in bed past 7am; I'm sleep-deprived because my body refuses to get more than 4-6 hours of sleep!

I could take sleep drugs. Melatonin no longer works: after some occasional use, it now only works in high doses; and both high doses and chronic use cause my nuts to ache for extended periods, which I thought was just me sleeping on my side or something... until I found out melatonin affects testosterone production and can be bad for the testicles. Whoops. Valerian... I ran through a railroad crossing barrier. Ambien and Allegra I've seen do the same: you're incredibly fucking high, but you feel fine... until you crash into a parked car, or smile and nod while a pedestrian wanders in front of you. Thud.

That doesn't mean drugs are BAD; they're risk. You risk side effects against a disease. Is your ADHD worse than ... potential insomnia? Potential minor psychosis? Psychosis can be MAJOR if you're prone to dementia. Sleep drugs may not ruin your life; out of millions of cases, I know one person who almost died because Ambien affects him for 10 hours and he didn't know that. Of course you should take life-saving drugs, and life-enhancing drugs, if the side effects don't occur or are less bad than your symptoms.

I think we should drop back to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and floatation-REST as our first attempts for ADHD and Aspergers [nih.gov] and insomnia [circle.ubc.ca] . CBT is a particular sticking point in insomnia: bad sleep hygiene is terrible, and parents are horrible parents for forcing their kids into bed. Go to bed even if you're not tired? Fuck you, mom. If you're not asleep in 10 minutes, GET OUT OF BED. Don't do other things in bed. Wake your ass up in the morning; if you're tired, too bad. Get up. When you're sleepy, you'll sleep at night.

So yeah. Let's eject this ADHD magic pill bullshit. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, physical activity, and flotation-REST to start; move up to lighter drugs (lighter side effects, even if less effective), and then into the heavy shit (methylphenedate, adderall, drug cocktails). Throwing methylphenedate down someone's throat as a first option is like launching MIRV nukes three seconds after someone stands and shakes his fist at the UN table.

Re:The drugs are terrible (0)

TLDR, your issues may be hormonal and or metabolic as well.

Re:The drugs are terrible (1)

spads (1095039) | about 3 months ago | (#47680291)

I would try elavil. It turned out to be the key for my insomnia. I had to adjust to very low dose (10 mg, 2 nights/wk) in order not to develop a tolerance, though. Had profound effects at higher dose, which was quite interesting, but just not sustainable, unfortunately. Insomnia is the leading killer I contend with. I think AD(HD) is a reality, but not much to be done but training oneself and as much as possible leading a balanced and productive life. ("balanced" <=> not pushing oneself unhealthily).

Re:The drugs are terrible (1)

tofu2go (727555) | about 3 months ago | (#47680363)

If you require risperidone to control psychosis, it sounds to me like were being overdosed with the methylphenidate. Rather than trying to correct the overdosing of one medication with another that antagonizes dopamine, they should have just laid off on the methylphenidate... It might also suggests that you are not dopamine deficient, and I can't help but think that you may have been misdiagnosed....

It is interesting that you have insomnia with the methylphenidate. As someone who was recently started on Adderall, my sleep actually "improved" since starting the medication.

Disclosure: I am not a doctor. A lot of us on this board will be expressing opinions that are health related and could have serious consequences, so it is worth reminding everyone that you should consult a medical professional if you have questions or concerns regarding your, or your family's, health.

Re:The drugs are terrible (0)

Except the psychosis is only a symptom if it would have manifested itself later.

Sorry your treatments didn't work, but the fact that they put so many different problems under the umbrella of ADHD, that no one understand anything other than their own situation.

Some diagnosis and treatment really IS straightforward, and does work.

I speak anecdotally for my unique situation, but then again, so do you; I can just admit it.

Re:The drugs are terrible (1)

njnnja (2833511) | about 3 months ago | (#47680411)

What are "lighter drugs"? Not trying to call you out; I appreciate the level of honesty in your post. But I thought that stimulants were lighter drugs, compared to, say, antidepressants or antipsychotics

Re:The drugs are terrible (2)

afidel (530433) | about 3 months ago | (#47680447)

On Melatonin, this [oxfordjournals.org] study says there is no decrease in testoserone production.

Re:The drugs are terrible (2)

Andtalath (1074376) | about 3 months ago | (#47680457)

In my experience (I'm from Sweden and have an ADHD diagnosis and know a lot of people with the same one), the right way is to have a bit of both.

The pills won't "cure" anything.
They will, in many cases, dampen the symtoms.

And that is all.

Extremely useful for some, including me.

Re:The drugs are terrible (1)

TubeSteak (669689) | about 3 months ago | (#47680831)

I have always had delayed sleep phase disorder (self-diagnosis)

Melatonin isn't a sleeping pill* and you're probably not using it correctly.

The correct** way to use melatonin is in low doses 5~8 hours before bed time.
Melatonin is your brain's way of saying "hey, it's dark out, let's push over the chemical dominoes that will lead to sleep."

On the other end, when you wake up, you either need a light box or some sunshine.
(Ideally you want a light source of at least 10,000 lumens at 480nm (IIRC))
This sets off another chain of chemical reactions that let your brain know that it's time to wake up.
As a result, it prevents your sleep phase from shifting forward by however much your delay is.

*Most of the usage directions you find online are wrong.
**I'm not a sleep doctor but I talked to one recently, you should too.

Re:The drugs are terrible (0)

Many studies show that 6 hours of sleep is optimal. Just saying.

Re:The drugs are terrible (2)

Sanians (2738917) | about 3 months ago | (#47681049)

Let me guess:

You often wake up to go to the bathroom, only to find once you're there that you really didn't need to go that badly. (Remember when you were a kid and you'd wake up in the morning almost ready to burst? That's normal. Waking up several times a night to empty a half-full bladder is not.)

Also, you sometimes have nightmares where you're running away from something, or doing anything that's physically exhausting, and then you wake up and breathe heavily for a while to catch your breath? (Guess what: Dreams are just imagination, they don't make you out of breath.)

I think you may have a sleep disorder. Specifically, either sleep apnea or upper airway resistance syndrome. In either event, lack of breathing will cause you to awaken, but by the time you're conscious, the problem is gone, so your mind doesn't know why you woke up. So it just blames the most annoying thing it can note at the moment: some really-not-that-loud noise, your not-that-uncomfortable matress, your half-full bladder, your kind-of-hungry stomach, or whatever. If it's bad enough, you'll end up so awake that you can't fall asleep again for hours.

The delayed sleep phase is due to your body having to make up some extra sleep, due to the poor quality. It wants to stay awake for 16 hours then sleep for 8, but ends up sleeping 9 or 10, and that just screws everything up.

You might also be able to get a guy with a broken foot to run if you chase him with a baseball bat, but no one would say that is because there's really nothing wrong with his foot. Cognitive behavioral therapy is bullshit. For those who aren't aware, it literally means "talk to the patient and figure out what they're doing wrong and tell them how to change it." So you keep suggesting shit until pure coincidence cures them (or merely makes them think they're cured) and take credit as obviously it was your advice that changed things, or you offer new advice every week until you're eventually forced to offer advice the patient just can't follow (like "get up in the morning anyway") at which point you can blame the therapy's failure on the patient's non-compliance. Like most of psychology, it's bullshit.

ADHD, though, is real. It just isn't what most doctor's think it is. There is one I saw on a television show who started testing kids with ADHD for sleep apnea, and cured quite a few of them of their ADHD with some oral surgery. Apparently he's the only person to think that poor sleep might result in kids who can't concentrate and who are hyperactive because being hyperactive is the only thing keeping them awake.

I actually think that most psychological problems are sleep disorders. Tired all the time, such that you can't improve your life or even enjoy it? That might make you depressed, right? ...and maybe, since your brain can't do sleep-things while you're asleep, it starts doing them while you're awake, and so you start having hallucinations. Then your sense of logic goes out the window, as it often does when people are asleep, and so everyone says you're delusional. I mean, just how many psychological conditions aren't known to be associated with sleep disturbances? Are there any?

...and then the drug of choice to treat ADHD is a stimulant. It's like we're just trying to keep the kids awake, to improve their concentration, and to make it so that they don't have to be so hyperactive in order to avoid falling asleep.

Re:The drugs are terrible (1)

MozeeToby (1163751) | about 3 months ago | (#47681441)

What you're describing is not insomnia, it sounds much more like a circadian rhythm disorder. I'm not just being pedantic, it's important to understand the differences between the two because the treatments can be significantly different. For instance, it's generally not wise with circadian disorders to medicate to sleep, the sleep you get won't be restful because your body is pretty much convinced that 1AM is a good time to be wide awake.

A small dose of melatonin taken at the right time of day (some experimentation is necessary, it could be as early as first thing in the morning) helps some people get their natural melatonin production on the right track. Bright sunlight first thing in the morning can also be effective. Of course, for many there is no effective treatment and you just have to learn how to deal with it best you can.

Read Summary Wrong (1)

Jason Levine (196982) | about 3 months ago | (#47680105)

I read the summary wrong at first and thought that it meant they "fixed" ADHD by participants taking meth. If that's the cure, I think I'd stick with being uncured.

I'm not sure of the chemical makeup of the compound they are talking about versus the illegal drug. (Chemistry was one science class I always stunk at.) They might be somewhat-related with the name similarity. Perhaps someone can explain the difference?

ADHD is a made up disease with NO SICIENCE (-1)

For the Phake azz Quack Doctors False Science Now called PSYCHIATRY invented by MIC target 4 u guns and lives
On the other hand Measuring The SHTF SHIT being dumped on our heads via chemtrails has actual science.

And we can see the government is misguided / LYING OATH BREAKING SCUM FUX
City of XYZ Department of Utilities Utilities

Aluminum
Aluminum is a metal released from metal refineries and mining operations.

Okay ya blind fuxin City Of XYZ CORP INC LeaderSHITS

NANO aluminum you DO not measure.
measure smaller parts.

Same for RadioActive Shit

Ya Liars.
LIARS CREATE DIERS

does the tail wag the dog? (0)

if we fix involuntary eye movements, we fix ADHD?

fuck beta (0)

fuck beta

involuntary eye movement? (0)

They ares were made to involuntary move in the form of blinking.

Something smells of bullshit here

Human entropy (1)

Gothmolly (148874) | about 3 months ago | (#47680253)

Since we're largely shielded from the negative effects of genetic entropy, where will the western world be in 50 years?

Pfft (1)

ThatsNotPudding (1045640) | about 3 months ago | (#47680283)

This is already been done: http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Voight-Kampff_machine [wikia.com]

Re:Pfft (1)

iggymanz (596061) | about 3 months ago | (#47680365)

I appreciate how movie instructs in the proper etiquette should the line of questioning become too uncomfortable or the questioned feel the inquisitor is learning of negative traits best left undisclosed: "My mother? Let me tell you about my mother!" *BLAM* *BLAM*

what a crock of shit (0)

Fat fuck lazy ass parents can't stand their kids being kids. You mean kids are loud, needy, annoying, and need taught life's simplest nuances regarding polite behavior? You mean being a parent means requiring infinite patience and using every opportunity to teach and guide and mold? No thanks I think I'll just drug them into zombified submission. Ooh that couch looks comfortable.

Re:what a crock of shit (1)

Lazere (2809091) | about 3 months ago | (#47681217)

You know typical ADHD drugs would actually make neurotypical children worse, right? ADHD drugs tend to be stimulants, care to guess what that would do to normal children? Give a five year old some coffee and find out. It's a far cry from "drug them into zimbified submission."

[citation needed] (3, Interesting)

seebs (15766) | about 3 months ago | (#47680373)

I'd be interested in the basis for the claim about misdiagnosis being "common". I have known a number of people with ADHD who were misdiagnosed with something else. I don't think I've ever met anyone who got a misdiagnosis of not having ADHD.

The quality of the anti-ADHD-diagnosis rants can be pretty much summed up by the fact that people are claiming that a stimulant drug which makes people twitchy is going to "drug people into zombified submission". It really is that blatantly stupid; there is nothing remotely like "zombified submission" on the table.

Re:[citation needed] (1)

jittles (1613415) | about 3 months ago | (#47680665)

It's kids being diagnosed with ADHD when the correct diagnosis is really poor parenting.

Re:[citation needed] (1)

seebs (15766) | about 3 months ago | (#47680689)

Yeah, I know what the allegation is. Where's the evidence? Where's the clinical studies?

People love to assert that someone with a cognitive disability isn't really disabled, just "lazy". But that people enjoy asserting it doesn't make it true.

Re:[citation needed] (1)

Charliemopps (1157495) | about 3 months ago | (#47681167)

You're not a parent are you? I'd have a hard time calling anyone that didn't beat their kid a bad parent. That'd be like calling someone that fell off a bridge a bad sky diver. You do what you can, there's no way to do it right, and they landing's going to hurt no mater what you do.

Lack of impulse control (1)

Andtalath (1074376) | about 3 months ago | (#47680487)

This shouldn't really be news.

One of the major ADHD tests is if you can control impulses in various situations.
Impulse control is way, way harder, bordering on impossible for people with strong ADHD.

I still remember my test for instance.

I was supposed to press for every symbol that came up on the screen, except for X and Y.
I couldn't help pressing for X as well.
I literally said the equivalent of "fuck" each time, which made my psychiatrist laugh.

This would be something similar.

Has all research moved to Tel Aviv?? (-1)

What's up with that?

Trying to make it more difficult to boycott the bastards, eh? Well, if you wanna end the war, that's what you gotta do.

Stop and think.... (3, Interesting)

The premise that over-diagnosis is a systemic problem is common, and has been propagated by the media, with very little actual scientific proof behind it.

The national average is that 7.8% of children are diagnosed with ADHD and somewhere around half (depending on where you live) get prescribed medication. So the idea that we are diagnosing a whole generation of kids as having ADHD is ridiculous. The idea that we have a culture of medicating our kids unnecessarily is also ridiculous. The statistics simply don't bear this out. The CDC did a study that has been dramatically misinterpreted to create this perception.

Here is the big article that most people reference when they say that there is a plague of over-diagnosing ADHD.

First, they only reference ADHD's increase in the CDC study, when it wasn't the only one, nor was it the largest disorder having an increase in diagnosis. It was a 3% increase.

Second, there are three corrections, only mentioned at the very bottom that change facts stated in the study. That should tell you something right there.

Third, and increase is an increase, but they fill in the blanks as to the cause of the increase. My favorite is the change in the definition of ADHD, some media and researchers pose that the changing definition of ADHD has weakened its diagnostic criteria so it is going to be more common. But the DMS IV, the standard psych diagnostic manual in the U.S. hasn't had a change for ADHD in 20 years and the DSM V wasn't out yet, or not long enough to have an effect.

Yes, ADHD diagnosis have increased, and yes so has the rate of medication being prescribed. But at the same rate, on average (some less, some more) than other childhood disorders. Additionally, the study merely referenced the increase in the number of diagnosis and prescription, not the amount of misdiagnosis or anything like that. The only studies that I know of that did that were severely flawed. One did a survey where they told the sample of Psychiatrists to make a diagnosis of a selection of cases, some which did not show all of the symptoms for ADHD and some did. But they told them to make a diagnosis, already biasing those participating towards making some diagnosis rather than none at all. The other was a world wide study that compared the DSM IV diagnostic guide to the cases that were diagnosed, the problem is much of the world doesn't use the DSM IV but a different resource entirely. So they were judging those diagnosing using and apples and oranges measuring stick.

I of course, am not saying it never happens, clearly misdiagnosis does happen. And it may be more common with ADHD than with some other disorders. That could be due to big pharma wanting to schill pills, or it could be due to the very visible and noticeable nature of ADHD and it's commonality, meaning just the shear numbers increase the chances. It could be that ADHD has some similarities to behavior that is not ideal but not to the level of a disorder. It could be it is no worse than other cases of misdiagnosis. And to my mind, more likely, if it is happening more than other disorders, is because we need better diagnostics, which is what this research is about. No one is going to say that one test like this is the only thing needed to make such a diagnostic, not really. That is headline grabbing garbage that will never make it into a real serious clinical environment. No diagnostic manual is going to recommend a diagnosis based on one symptom or type of behavior, period.

bluefoxlucid makes some good anecdotal points, but they are anecdotal, meaning they are one specific case, specific to that person. You cannot extrapolate anything out of it to the general populace. They had bad reactions to medicine, which unfortunately happens. I can't be used to make any judgements about the whole, however. Nor can it give us any insight into the usefulness of the drugs as a whole, only as they relate to that specific individual.

A study showed that for those with ADHD who were medicated, the initial medication, commonly methylphenidate, showed a significant reduction in symptoms and behaviors of ADHD (keep in mind the D is disorder, this isn't normal boisterous behavior etc, the term disorder actually means something, a significant, chronic detrimental affect on your life to paraphrase) in 60% of patients, there were some other drugs, that are less common but will help another 20-40% depending on the medication. So that does leave a segment of the population that drugs don't help. But a significant percentage of people are helped by these drugs, and the help is not minuscule. They track things like grade performance, number of behavioral incidents per day and at school and monitor them over time. That isn't one case, that is many, many cases. But there is a section that doesn't get the help they need. There are some that it helps but the side effects aren't worth it. But most, by far, are helped significantly.

In America, less than 1 in 10 kids have been diagnosed with ADHD, and anywhere from 40-68% of those diagnosed are medicated. That doesn't sound like a culture of kids being ruined through misdiagnosis and overmedication.

The brain is a electro-chemical reaction, end of story. When that reaction isn't working well, we can alter the chemistry to fix it. We have to be careful, as we can do a ton of damage too. But we can also change people's lives for the better, and we do. The mental health industry is not nearly what it should be, especially from a diagnostic perspective, and we have a long way to go from a medicinal perspective as well. But we are moving in the right direction and this mindset that we are ruining our kids with medicine isn't based in fact, or science.

Stop and think.... (1)

funkyboss007 (3785935) | about 3 months ago | (#47680921)

This was my post, sorry, didn't realize I didn't have my account. I am no coward lol!

E4. (-1, Offtopic)

indecision (and

Diagnosed (3, Insightful)

Charliemopps (1157495) | about 3 months ago | (#47681053)

I've got ADHD for real. My doctor used to joke that I was the only kid he knew of that definitively had it, the rest he was just pretty sure about. At the time they were heavily medicating children for it... much worse than they do now and my parents refused to have me walking around like a zombie. Like it or not that was probably the most instrumental decision my parents made in my upbringing. Without the medication, I was left to cope with the symptoms on my own. If given several tasks to complete, I'd spend hours bouncing from one to the other and never really start any of them. Eventually I learned to deal with it on my own but never really knew how until I got to talk about it with a few shrinks.

What I did was learn a type of "Hyper focus" they described as common amongst the afflicted. I would drive all other thoughts from my mind, almost like a Buddhist, and then focus exclusively on my task. If I allowed other topics into my mind, I'd wander and lose track of what I was doing, so I instead learned not to let myself think about anything else. This skill has it's upsides I was told. I was able to grasp larger, more complex tasks because my mind was not preocupide with other things. It also had it's downside. I'd be so focused on the task at hand that if someone interupetted me I'd fly into a rage:
Me:WHAT?!?!
Wife: Dinners ready. Is programming the thermostat really that frustrating?
Me: um... sorry? :-)

I'm glad to see they may have a definitive test, and it seems superior drugs. I don't want to say I wish I had them... I wouldn't be me without ADHD, but I welcome any tools that help parents be more informed. I wouldn't give up being abnormal for the world, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy either.

RNM (0)

Also associated with a US human experimentation program in remote manipulation of neurons. Its an AI hacking the eye, so the genetic algorithm causes the muscle to move randomly.