Bill Gates & Twitter Founders Put "Meatless" Meat To the Test

samzenpus posted about 5 months ago | from the now-with-more-vitamin-M dept.

Biotech 466

assertation (1255714) writes "Bill Gates and the founders of Twitter are betting millions that meat lovers will embrace a new plant-based product that mimics the taste of chicken and beef. Meat substitutes have had a hard time making it to the dinner tables of Americans over the years, but the tech giants believe these newest products will pass the "tastes like chicken" test. Gates has met several times with Ethan Brown, whose product, Beyond Meat, is a mash-up of proteins from peas and plants."

Watch Out for PETA (4, Funny)

Scarletdown (886459) | about 5 months ago | (#46853875)

Prepare to be targeted by an angry mob from PETA...

The other PETA, that is... People Eating Tasty Animals.

Re:Watch Out for PETA (1)

Jeremiah Cornelius (137) | about 5 months ago | (#46854031)

SOYLENT GMO. EAT IT from Mr. MONOCULTURE!

Re:Watch Out for PETA (3, Insightful)

The123king (2395060) | about 5 months ago | (#46854089)

I don't know... If everyone in the world switched from eating meat to eating vegan substitutes (which is more environmentally friendly), you're going to end up with a massive animal welfare crisis on your hands. All those cows, pigs, sheep, chickens etc are no longer going to be wanted by mankind. What this means is many thousands of years worth of natural and artificial selection will be wasted, most animals domesticated for meat will die out, and us as humans will lose a large chunk of what makes us "human".

TL;DR good for environment, not so good for the billions of animals domesticated for meat.

Re:Watch Out for PETA (4, Interesting)

erikkemperman (252014) | about 5 months ago | (#46854141)

I think I see what you mean. But the words "animal welfare crisis" seem pretty adequate to describe the way our meat ends up on our plates right now.

Personally I am a meat lover of the hypocrite kind: if I had to slaughter my own, I'd be a vegetarian tomorrow. So I have this sort if compromise where I only eat meat maybe two or three days a week, and then I choose the more expensive kind which is supposed to be from animals which could be argued to have had a half decent life.

Re:Watch Out for PETA (3, Interesting)

mspohr (589790) | about 5 months ago | (#46854169)

You do realize that farm animals are bred and raised on... duh, farms and that this is done in response to a "market" where people demand food from these animals. Basic "market" principles apply here. If there is less demand then the farmers won't breed and raise more animals.
So... if the market goes away there won't be a lot of homeless animals.
Also, all of the breeding and natural and artificial selection of animals has only served to produce odd monocultures of animals and nothing would be lost. I'm sure that some people will keep some demand for these animals.
It would be good for the environment (and the animals) for people to switch to eating fewer of them.

Re:Watch Out for PETA (2, Interesting)

Badger Nadgers (2423622) | about 5 months ago | (#46854183)

But if we get rid of them, where are we going to get all the sh*t for the organic veg?

Re:Watch Out for PETA (0)

It's better that they die naturally than continually be raised only to be killed. Cows and chickens would still be around, but for other reasons.

Stp the silly beta (-1)

Stop the silly beta. 5 browser restarts (clear all on exit) and keep getting hte beta.

Re:Stp the silly beta (1, Informative)

Gavrielkay (1819320) | about 5 months ago | (#46853901)

Use the return to classic view link. I hope they track the number of clicks and realize that everyone is bailing on the stupid beta version.

Not only is the beta layout screwed up on my phone (0)

but that link doesn't even work.

But the price? (2)

Kojiro Ganryu Sasaki (895364) | about 5 months ago | (#46853885)

Stuff like this tends to be prohibitively expensive. That seems to be the greatest obstacle to acceptance.

Re:But the price? (1)

wiggles (30088) | about 5 months ago | (#46854025)

It's available at Whole Foods today for a MSRP of $5.29 for a 12 oz package.

Re:But the price? (4, Insightful)

ganjadude (952775) | about 5 months ago | (#46854079)

a pound of ground beef (16 OZ 90%) is under 4.50 as I write this in my local store. Also chicken breasts are going for 2.99$ a pound. Im not going to spend more money for less of a product, that is not even real meat

Re:But the price? (5, Insightful)

the eric conspiracy (20178) | about 5 months ago | (#46854221)

Recently I bought a 6 lb package of 88% ground beef at Costco for less than $18.

$5.27 for 12 oz is double what I'm paying for beef.

I'm all in favor of reducing meat consumption but not at the price of doubling my food budget.

Re:But the price? (2)

Maxo-Texas (864189) | about 5 months ago | (#46854239)

Within the last 6 weeks chicken has been for sale for 99 cents a pound twice. Breast meat filets have been on sale for $1 per pound once and for $1.99 several times.

Beef seems to be holding around $4 bucks but oddly- steak dips lower (as low as $3) periodically.

Re:But the price? (1)

Jedi Alec (258881) | about 5 months ago | (#46854295)

How much of that pound of chicken was actual chicken and how much was injected water? Just curious.

Re:But the price? (1)

RicktheBrick (588466) | about 5 months ago | (#46854383)

To be fair one should compare the price of cooked chicken since they are precooked. Are the chicken breast both skinless and boneless? If not than one has to subtract the weigh to both of these to figure the true cost of the meat. I am sure that their product is much easier to prepare and serve. If one values their time than one would consider that too. I would think that one could microwave them and put them out with some sauce in no time at all. I would assume that they do not need to be refrigerated too so they would be much easier to store at home too.

Re:But the price? (2)

ganjadude (952775) | about 5 months ago | (#46854435)

all good points. In my case they were boneless skinless chicken breasts. and When I buy them its to prepare a meal, If I wanted easy id go to the frozen food dept and buy some chicken nuggets and throw them in the nuker. There is something satisfying though about spending an hour crafting a great dish and finishing it off with a good quality beer

Re:But the price? (1)

mspohr (589790) | about 5 months ago | (#46854177)

Whole Foods is a rip-off store. Everything there is overpriced because it has a good "story" that appeals to clueless tree-huggers.

Re:But the price? (0)

But if even Bill is able to afford it, who won't?

AND?? (3, Funny)

Gavrielkay (1819320) | about 5 months ago | (#46853887)

Peas and plants. Because now peas aren't plants? Who wrote that?

Re:AND?? (2)

Ardyvee (2447206) | about 5 months ago | (#46853951)

Aren't peas the seed of a plant instead of the plant itself?

Re:AND?? (0)

Peas are seeds, a vegetable that comes from a pea plant. TFA is technically correct.

Re:AND?? (2)

Smurf (7981) | about 5 months ago | (#46854185)

But following that logic ("a pea is not a plant because it is just part of a plant") the statement is still incorrect because I bet you could use the same argument to disqualify all the other ingredients as being plants.

Re:AND?? (1)

camperdave (969942) | about 5 months ago | (#46853969)

Peas and plants. Because now peas aren't plants? Who wrote that?

Not all peas [wikipedia.org] are plants, and I would imagine these already taste a lot like chicken.

Re:AND?? (1)

EvilAlphonso (809413) | about 5 months ago | (#46854119)

I guess somebody probably meant to write "peas and vegetables". At least that would make sense as peas are legumes and not vegetables...

Re:AND?? (1)

Vegan Cyclist (1650427) | about 5 months ago | (#46854259)

Aye, or it would have been better said 'peas and other plants'.

Re:AND?? (0)

Peas and plants. Because now peas aren't plants? Who wrote that?

Sorry that was a spelling mistake. It was suppose to say, "Pee and Plants".

First post! (-1)

Take that vegetarians!

The diffciulty in getting carnivores to switch (5, Insightful)

"The difficulty now comes in finding a way to convince carnivores to switch."

If it tastes like meat, smells like meat, and looks like meat, then I won't refuse it on principle. How do you get me to switch? Make it cheaper than real meat.

Re:The diffciulty in getting carnivores to switch (2, Interesting)

Giant Electronic Bra (1229876) | about 5 months ago | (#46854105)

I don't get the fixation people have with 'tastes like meat' (actually the texture is the tricky part, taste is rather easy). If you actually learn to cook reasonably well then meat dishes actually aren't the most fantastic things around. I find that not eating meat is pretty trivial and given the cost, health, sustainability, and ethical advantages of that choice why not do it? I have yet to meet a person who switched and didn't FEEL much better afterwards. Almost any garden variety restaurant in China can make you a dish that usually can't be distinguished from a meat dish, and if I wish I can make several of them myself. OTOH there are plenty of other ways to enjoy your vegetables more.

Re:The diffciulty in getting carnivores to switch (5, Insightful)

Nidi62 (1525137) | about 5 months ago | (#46854193)

I don't get the fixation people have with 'tastes like meat' (actually the texture is the tricky part, taste is rather easy). If you actually learn to cook reasonably well then meat dishes actually aren't the most fantastic things around....Almost any garden variety restaurant in China can make you a dish that usually can't be distinguished from a meat dish, and if I wish I can make several of them myself. OTOH there are plenty of other ways to enjoy your vegetables more.

Show me a vegetable dish with the flavor and texture of a nice medium rare filet mignon, or a slab of prime rib medium with au jus, and I will switch. Until then, I am keeping my meat.

Re:The diffciulty in getting carnivores to switch (0)

It doesn't even have to taste or smell like meat.
Pretty much all fast food meat products already fail that test so as long as it can be made cheaper the fast food industry is ready to make the switch. (If they haven't already.)

Re: The diffciulty in getting carnivores to switch (0)

Ah the secret of the double meat palace!

Re:The diffciulty in getting carnivores to switch (0)

I might switch away from real meat to not eating anything if they start selling this shit as meat.
Why the hell do people need to switch? Is it some religious thing?
Also, humans aren't carnivores. We're omnivores.
Only Eskimos can say they are carnivores.

Re:The diffciulty in getting carnivores to switch (1)

Forget tastes like meat, smells like meat, and looks like meat. Will my body handle it like meat? Will it provide all of the same nutrients and effects (good and bad) as meat?

Re:The diffciulty in getting carnivores to switch (2, Insightful)

Slugster (635830) | about 5 months ago | (#46854443)

I would. "Carbs that taste like meat" is still carbs.

A few years back I tried eating low-carb out of curiosity (that is--high meat & fats). Best thing I ever did, and the regular medical checkups I get reflect that. It may not be what the AMA advises, but 5000 years of Eskimos trumps whatever the committee opinion is this year.

Besides, they could make the carb-meat "cheaper" just by placing a ridiculous tax on the real stuff.

Yes it tastes like chicken (0)

Sounds like a joke doesn't -- I swear I heard this before ;)

The War on Farmers (2, Insightful)

teslabox (2790587) | about 5 months ago | (#46853925)

It's not enough to industrialize agriculture, now they want to trick us with fake food.

Cows graze around boulders and on slopes, where tractors can't work. They cannot be effectively replaced. (Feeding cows corn & soybean meal is rather foolish, and is the real problem here.)

Re:The War on Farmers (-1)

I assure that in most meat you eat, grazing is not involved at all. There will always be plenty of market for real meat steaks to support cows that ever see a blue sky in their life, just not necessarily in your local McDonalds or on your ham pizza.

Re:The War on Farmers (1)

sir-gold (949031) | about 5 months ago | (#46854161)

Goats do a much better job of mowing lawns than cows do, and they are a lot easier to move from one yard to the next.

Re:The War on Farmers (0)

westlake (615356) | about 5 months ago | (#46854407)

Cattle production in the US is concentrated in the flatlands of Texas and the Great Plains. All Cattle & Calves... [cattlerange.com] Nevada, much in the news these last few weeks, ranks 37th.

wow (1)

"I just completely disagree with that. It is an assembly of amino acids, fats and water that is just like what you get out of an animal, so in my view, it is meat."

What a tool. It is *not* meat. It *is* fake meat. Die in a fire.

Re:wow (1)

Gaygirlie (1657131) | about 5 months ago | (#46853957)

What a tool. It is *not* meat. It *is* fake meat. Die in a fire.

What does it matter if it's not "real" meat if it looks, smells and tastes like it? I certainly simply do not care if it comes from disgusting-looking ooze growing in labs or whatnot, all I care is whether it's as cheap/expensive as real meat and tastes the same.

Americans (2, Interesting)

This is really a regional problem (understandable in a country that has never had capacity issues raising cattle on enormous scale).

Outside the US, many countries have been eating significant quantities of meat substitutes for ages - my favourite, even as a meat eater, being Quorn, which is genuinely rather nice tasting and doesn't have to taste 'like' meat to appeal to me (though it's not a vegan product in any sense).

Within the US, Quorn received a seriously dubious monstering from CSPI, but even in the UK Quorn needed help to get past the 'fake meat' angle; Sainsbury's went big on it and it survived.

Try it sometime, particularly with a splash of light soy sauce right at the beginning, which does help it taste more chickeny, if you need that.

Re:Americans (1)

Quorn isn't that the mushroom-based product? No matter how much you mask that with soy sauce, still tastes like fungus to me.. Although I'd be happy to try any alternative to chicken and beef if they are actual alternatives. Sadly, though, many meat substitutes don't taste like meat at all. They're useful products in their own right but don't come near to replacing chicken and beef. Heck, I even tried eating a variety of insects but those too are not a substitute and they're hugely expensive here. Real chicken is simply cheaper and it actually does taste like chicken.

Re:Americans (3, Funny)

camperdave (969942) | about 5 months ago | (#46854071)

...though it's not a vegan product in any sense

Sorry, but to us carnivores, vegan means any substitution of meat for hippy-dippy, new age fairy food. The only thing you should substitute meat with is other meat; chicken or steak burritos for example.

If it's cheaper than real meat.. (0)

And has all the benefits of meat without the downside of meat, with the same great taste of meat(or better), I'm sold.

Re:If it's cheaper than real meat.. (-1)

Yep. That all that and it makes you last longer.

It will fail... (-1)

because Republicans derive most of their enjoyment from meat from the act of murder rather than from the taste. There's a reason intelligent people eat less, or often none, meat than the Republican mouth breathers. This product will fail since its number one market will refuse to eat it because they'll no longer get off on dead animals.

Re:It will fail... (2)

ganjadude (952775) | about 5 months ago | (#46854385)

what the hell is with some people always needing to insert insults against republicans or democrats in articles that have nothing to do with politics?

It's not all about flavor... (0, Troll)

wjcofkc (964165) | about 5 months ago | (#46853979)

It's not all about flavor, it's also about presentation. A steak has to look and cut exactly like a steak to be a stake, and it must have the varying consistencies you get from everything between rare to well done. If they can pull that off, fine - but it has to be exact. Besides, it's not like we have a food shortage, the problem is distribution. If you're taking the ethical route, fine for you, but it's not for me.

Re:It's not all about flavor... (2)

CRCulver (715279) | about 5 months ago | (#46854157)

Besides, it's not like we have a food shortage, the problem is distribution.

Raising livestock takes more water than growing plants, and water is certainly something one would like to conserve. Furthermore, livestock effluence (animal shit) tends to find its way into rivers and streams.

Animal welfare isn't the other ethical issue involved here. I see nothing objectionable in slaughtering an animal and eating it, but doing it on a mass scale presents a risk to the environment that has convinced me to limit my meat intake.

Re:It's not all about flavor... (1)

CRCulver (715279) | about 5 months ago | (#46854171)

That should read "Animal welfare isn't the only ethical issue", sorry.

Re:It's not all about flavor... (1)

rev0lt (1950662) | about 5 months ago | (#46854397)

Well, it doesn't take more water for the same protein value. One of the reasons we eat livestock instead of grass is because we need more complex stuctures (eg. proteins) to live. Animal shit may be a problem, but human shit is way worse, as it can't even be easily recycled as a fertilizant. I'm not in favour of animal cruelty (so some heavy processed meat process makes me wonder where we're going, but on the other hand, recycling everything from a corpse is more thant what I do with my vegetables), but your meat choices have no impact in life.

Re:It's not all about flavor... (1)

Or you can make it half-assed and try to make it cheaper than real meat. Then you can replace all meat in the fast food industry.

Re:It's not all about flavor... (1)

Twinbee (767046) | about 5 months ago | (#46854415)

How something is supposed to 'look' is something that can change within a generation.

If on the other hand you believe in universal aesthetics (like I do), and must dip into the mere look of the presented food, then there's no reason we can't have a BETTER looking food put onto our plate than what stone-age meat has to offer.

why copy meat? (1, Informative)

peter303 (12292) | about 5 months ago | (#46853987)

Non-meat dishes, if properly done, have great flavors and textures all their own. And can satisfy the appetite.

As a long-term vegetarian, the main concession I make are vegetable patties. And that is for their form factor and ease of cook and not for a resemblance to a burger. Companies like Moningstar and traders Joes make patties out of all kinds of vegetables and spices- soy, bean corn, peas, garins, mixtures etc.

Re:why copy meat? (2)

markass530 (870112) | about 5 months ago | (#46854001)

I would say vaginitis is a helluva concession

Re:why copy meat? (0)

Because Americans have the worst palate in the world. I try everything new I possibly can, where as my father would never sway from his gross canned vegetables.

People will now be like " I am so healthy now that I eat fake meat." When they could have just ate some eggplant instead.

Hipster vegans.

Re:why copy meat? (2, Insightful)

I'll never understand. For some reason some people apparently don't want to eat meat, but they want to eat a bad imitation of it.
It's like diet coke. If you want to lose weight, drink some water. If you like the taste of diet coke better, you are a weirdo, but at least I can respect that.

Re:why copy meat? (1)

SylvesterTheCat (321686) | about 5 months ago | (#46854249)

At last! I have an explanation.

Actually, I refer the taste of Coke Zero slightly over diet Coke and both over sugared Coke. But what do I know? I am a weirdo.

Re:why copy meat? (0)

Maybe they like the taste of it, but don't want to eat meat for ethical, health, or other reasons? There's nothing strange here.

What does chicken taste like? (1)

Mouse " You take chicken, for example: maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything."

But what do we do with all the chickens? (0)

If we don't eat them, they will totally overrun the world! ;)

This will backfire (2, Insightful)

hessian (467078) | about 5 months ago | (#46854041)

Grand liberal vision:

We stop eating meat, everyone has more to eat.

Actuality:

We stop eating meat, people breed until the damage is equivalent to what we're doing now.

Beta tester (1)

SixAndFiftyThree (1020048) | about 5 months ago | (#46854043)

I've eaten (I won't say where) some earlier versions of Beyond Meat. While not as chewy as the real thing, they had a lot in common with meat; I could quite easily have believed they were the flesh of some animal I had not yet tasted. With good use of sauces or spices they should be able to compete with meat. Can anyone tell me if McDonalds has yet trademarked "BeyondBurger"? I mean, a plant-based patty that tastes better than their beef ought not to be difficult at all.

Re:Beta tester (1)

sir-gold (949031) | about 5 months ago | (#46854279)

I'm pretty sure McDonalds switched to a meat-substitute for most of it's low-end burgers years ago....

Not all vegetarians would like vegetarian meat. (5, Interesting)

140Mandak262Jamuna (970587) | about 5 months ago | (#46854045)

Some of the vegetarians follow vegetarian diet due to religious reasons. An extreme form of that practice is followed by the Jains, They would not even eat root vegetables because harvesting it kills the plant. But they would accept milk because milking does not kill the cow. There are others who would eat all the vegetables, but not meat. These people not only don't want to eat meat, they don't want anything that looks like meat.

In fact I belong to one such group: south Indian lacto-vegetarian brahmin. My rational mind and my reading of scriptures tell me, it is just a cultural practice, Hinduism does not really ban meat. My reading of books in evolution and my rudimentary understanding of biology tells me Homo sapiens evolved to eat at least some meat. Our closes primate relatives bonobos and chimps both eat meat. Still my cultural training is so ingrained I would not be able to bring myself to bite a piece of chicken, or something that resembles chicken. I am sure bits and pieces of meat must have found their way into my plate by accident. Restaurant workers might not have changed gloves, or the pizza cutter might not have been wiped before cutting my pizza, or the soup might have had a chicken stock instead of vegetable stock. Even after knowing all this, I am not able to bring myself to eat meat or anything that resembles meat.

I know we form such a microscopic minority what we think or do would not have the slightest effect on the general population and trends. But still, I have no plans to change.

Re:Not all vegetarians would like vegetarian meat. (1)

Old Fatty Baldman (3630557) | about 5 months ago | (#46854137)

I'm not sure how it got this way, but in western culture, a lot of people see giving up meat in their diet as something akin to turning in their guns, getting castrated, and buying a Prius. It's not *really* about the sublime flavor of a perfectly-seared rare steak, and therefore no artificial meat product, no matter how convincing, will succeed on a large scale as long as that sentiment exists. That, and the fact that there's a whole world of perfectly good food that doesn't even attempt to emulate meat means that artificial meats are doomed to forever be a specialty product, like nicotine patches and hairpieces. Carnivores don't need them and vegetarians don't need them.

Re:Not all vegetarians would like vegetarian meat. (3, Insightful)

SuperKendall (25149) | about 5 months ago | (#46854235)

How it got that way is that meat is tasty and provides a lot of energy. People are so fervently against giving up meat because the substitutes that have been put forth (tofu, soy) generally suck in most forms people consume them in. Yes you can kind of make Tofu tasty with some work (though personally I've never had tofu elevated beyond "edible"), but you have to do nothing to a chicken breast to make it tasty other than cook it.

If this mean substitute is actually tasty and the texture is not horrifically awful (most of the supposed meat substitutes ignore that aspect) then in fact a lot of people probably would be OK using it.

Your main problem, as with so many other things in ilife. will be environmentalists since it's not "natural".

Re:Not all vegetarians would like vegetarian meat. (1)

140Mandak262Jamuna (970587) | about 5 months ago | (#46854281)

In many eastern cultures self-denial is considered a virtue and earns respect. It is not written in any scripture or anything. Just a cultural practice, done by ordinary people as part of their lives without serious thinking. They clump all of it under religion, but won't be able to quote chapter and verse to justify, say, the practice of going on a pilgrimage to the holy city of Banares to renounce a vegetable for the rest of their lives. But my parents, all my uncles, aunts and grandparents had done that. I know my dad had renounced snake-gourd in that pilgrimage and I have to avoid cooking that vegetable in his death-anniversary function/feast.

Re:Not all vegetarians would like vegetarian meat. (0)

how can you live with yourself knowing that you are killing millions of innocent bacteria every time you get the munchies

Re:Not all vegetarians would like vegetarian meat. (0)

I'm far more concerned with the millions of brain cells that I kill just before the munchies...

Re:Not all vegetarians would like vegetarian meat. (0)

I'm a european guy and in no way indian and my parents eat meat, but I've become a vegetarian at age of 5, not knowing any other vegetarians but did it "out of ethical beliefs" and I feel just the same as you.

Re:Not all vegetarians would like vegetarian meat. (1)

rev0lt (1950662) | about 5 months ago | (#46854427)

I have an indian friend that tasted meat the first time when he was like 21 or 22. What he described, besides the obvious bacon bliss, is a symptom of protein privation during is whole life - a "meat rush". He will now bite a steak or a burger everytime he can.

how much land does it cost to make it ? (0)

how much land does it cost to make the same amount of meat you would get from a cow?

Re:how much land does it cost to make it ? (0)

Good question, but did you realise it takes 6lbs of feed to raise 1 lb of meat?

Re:how much land does it cost to make it ? (2)

tomhath (637240) | about 5 months ago | (#46854199)

Good question, but did you realise it takes 6lbs of feed to raise 1 lb of meat?

And you do realize that most of that feed is grass, which is grown on land not suited to cultivation? The final few weeks of "finishing" uses more grain, but the cattle are raised on hay, pasture and range.

It's A Price Thing (1)

Jim Sadler (3430529) | about 5 months ago | (#46854073)

I enjoy several meat substitutes such as Boca Burgers and meal starters. I would use them more often if the price was more reasonable. It is odd that these substitutes can exceed the price of the real thing.

Re:It's A Price Thing (1)

mspohr (589790) | about 5 months ago | (#46854219)

Boca burgers are terrible hockey pucks from a factory with lots of added chemicals. Do not eat.
You can easily make good veggie burgers that are a lot cheaper, healthier and tastier than any store bought veggie burger.
Here's one good recipe:
http://www.seriouseats.com/rec... [seriouseats.com]

Re:It's A Price Thing (1)

Noishkel (3464121) | about 5 months ago | (#46854309)

Yeah, that's one of the unfortunate things about a lot of vegetarian and vegan options out there... they costs a lot. For my money it would be better to work on the availability and price issue more than try to fool meat eaters into buy more expensive substitutions.

Yeaaaah! (0)

Time to get people off the cocky!

Meat is good. (0)

We need artificial meat, not fake meat. Meat is very useful to the body.

being a vegan is being a fag (0)

but i do think its the most ethical and environmentally sound position.

A better shade of slime (0)

Soylent, er, 'pinkslime' green. Crd$2 for a lousy half-kilo! Ought to help Caterpillar shares climb out of the hole of these last couple of years.
For decades, everyone eating corporate foodstuff, specially in the USA, has been eating processed starch and some oil altered into anything and everything. And silicone rubber. And pink slime. And some extra chemicals. Hormones, of course. Plastics. Some blood-fed cow's reprocessed milkstuff. Petrochemicals, where possible. Not necessarily profitable or efficient - just viable. Religion is it's own reason and reward.

missing the fat flavor (4, Insightful)

Khashishi (775369) | about 5 months ago | (#46854123)

I tried it. The texture and protein feel matches lean chicken or turkey reasonably well. But the fat flavor is missing. This is a general observation I have with all the faux meats. They simulate really lean cuts, but all the flavor comes from the fat, which is missing. It's probably the case that recreating the fat of meat is more difficult than creating the protein. This is a challenge to the manufacturers out there.

Filler food and filler clothes (-1)

If you like filler meat, this weekend's Wall St Journal had an article on filler in cotton clothing - to make it cheaper, manufacturers are blending cotton with synthetic fibers.

Is there any limit to how cheap food can get? I stopped buying eggs at one grocery store because the shells literally shattered in my hand without applying much pressure at all. That means the hens are being starved of nutrients.

Is it really worth saving a few cents to accept this sort of food?

Finally getting this right. Maybe. (3, Insightful)

Animats (122034) | about 5 months ago | (#46854135)

After a long history of failures, from Hamburger Helper to VitaPro, this stuff apparently tastes more or less like processed chicken. It's sold at Whole Foods. It's not cheap. Chicken tends to be chopped up and extruded anyway. ("McNuggets"). Matching the taste of breaded chicken nuggets seems do-able.

Nutrition is an issue. The nutritional composition of this is entirely determined by the manufacturer. The mix of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals is a manufacturer choice. There are few standards on the required nutritional value for human food products. Most concerns about food safety involve excluding undesired or toxic components. It's quite possible to sell something that tastes like meat, is harmless, but has little nutritional value.

But does it put up a fight? (0)

Do I get to stalk it through the forest?
Does the light fade from it's eyes as it bleeds out after I've run my blade through it's throat?
Does it frantically kick it's legs one final time?
Does the blood run down my arms as I remove the heart, lungs and kidneys?

No? Then it's just not the same.

Who is the target audience for this crap? (0)

I'd hope that most vegetarians already know how to cook vegetarian food without needing meat.
So why go and buy something that simulates meat?
This is just like tofu burgers. I already like tofu. I don't need it to be made to like like a fucking hamburger. If I want a hamburger I'll eat a fucking hamburger.

Dark-age style slaughterhouses (1)

Twinbee (767046) | about 5 months ago | (#46854229)

If this takes off, and I don't see why not (unless it's significantly more expensive), I almost worry that the existing range of quorn-like products will die off. There's a potentially infinite range of tastes and textures out there, and by eating just real meat, we're forcing ourselves to a tiny sub-portion of possible flavours.

It's about time we moved away from dark-age style slaughterhouses to a tasty meat substitute. Bring it on.

Allergy Issues (0)

Note that amongst the peas & plants is a fast growing allergen; Soybeans

Soybeans have increased in allergen status over last 3 decades, may be due to various genetic changes in certain strains or specific insecticides, none the less the allergen issue can be fatal to many, and yes this Soy is included in the formula for this meat. Wish Gates would invest our excess software profits in something beneficial to us.

great! (0)

While you suckers eat the meatless meat, this will leave more, cheaper real meat for me and others like myself.

Zombie Apocalypse is upon us! (1)

jonfr (888673) | about 5 months ago | (#46854257)

I am sure this is going to create an zombie apocalypse due to some mysterious and unexpected side effects. I better get ready to build energy based weapons so that I can survive whatever is left once nature has taken its cut (vultures, dogs, cats and so on).

Tastes more like real Dr Pepper! (1)

Noishkel (3464121) | about 5 months ago | (#46854261)

Anyone remember those old ads? Diet Dr Pepper tastes more like real Dr Pepper? Yeah, it did taste a little more like the real stuff... but it still tastes like ass.

And more to the point of things that actually matter.... anyone got a line on how much this stuff costs? How about if it's actually good for you or not? What kind of crazy flavoring and additives are being put into it to try and make it taste that way? Hey how about any GMO ingredients? Not that I think GMO is the devil that it gets made out to be. But I'm not much into it either.

Simulating meat does seem bizarrely common (3, Interesting)

Coisiche (2000870) | about 5 months ago | (#46854267)

In the UK, Quorn is the main faux meat mycoprotein. I'm not a vegetarian but I have tried a few of their products and they are, without exception, all about simulating meat.

The simulated chicken pieces are probably the most realistic; so much like the real thing in terms of appearance, texture and taste it's uncanny. The steak strips aren't as good texture wise, nor is the lamb cutlet, but both are ok taste wise although to visual inspection the lamb one is obviously artificial. The sausages are good but since the meat content of real sausages is questionable anyway, I don't think there's much comparison to draw. The biggest fail is the Quorn bacon rashers. You have to wonder why they bothered trying. Nothing can compare with real bacon and we can't help vegetarians who chose to give that up.

A good visual why to move away from animal foods (1, Informative)

Vegan Cyclist (1650427) | about 5 months ago | (#46854285)

Compare the amount of livestock to the rest of the wild mammals on the planet, it's quite staggering, and i doubt many would expect the numbers to look like this:

http://xkcd.com/1338/ [xkcd.com]