20,000 Customers Have Pre-Ordered Over $2,000,000 of Soylent

samzenpus posted about a year ago | from the you-can't-have-any-pudding-unti-you-drink-your-macro-nutritious-beverage dept.

Science 543

Daniel_Stuckey writes "Less than a year ago, Rob Rhinehart published a blog post explaining how he had stopped eating food and begun living entirely on a greyish, macro-nutritious cocktail. Today, he told Motherboard that he's sold more than $2 million worth of Soylent to tens of thousands of post-food consumers worldwide—and that it's on track to ship next month. 'We have crossed $2,000,000 in revenue from over 20,000 customers, with more every day,' Rhinehart told me. 'International demand is really picking up as well.' This despite the fact that Soylent isn't technically on the market yet, and has thus far only been available to beta testers. Rhinehart's company spent much of last year tinkering with the formula—the version he tried first was deficient in sulfur, and contained since-jettisoned ingredients like cow whey. But there's been a steadily building crescendo of publicity—both positive and negative—around the project since its inception."

Somebody wasn't paying attention (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043265)

Soylent is supposed to be SOY, LENTils, and optionally plankton. Come up with a new name. Sheesh.

"Soylent Green is people!" (1, Redundant)

Z00L00K (682162) | about a year ago | (#46043273)

Makes me think of Soylent Green [wikipedia.org] .

Re:"Soylent Green is people!" (5, Funny)

noh8rz10 (2716597) | about a year ago | (#46043281)

thanks for the spoiler alert.

Re:"Soylent Green is people!" (0, Flamebait)

enoz (1181117) | about a year ago | (#46043341)

Get over yourself, it's been 40 years since that film was released and any attempt to Google for the word "soylent" will immediately suggest "soylent...green is people"

Re:"Soylent Green is people!" (4, Funny)

noh8rz10 (2716597) | about a year ago | (#46043497)

wait are you saying it's made OF people?

Re:"Soylent Green is people!" (5, Informative)

fyngyrz (762201) | about a year ago | (#46043591)

Only in the film, which is a *terrible* adaptation of "make room, make room" by harry harrison.

Soylent was not made of people, and furthermore was almost irrelevant to the plot (of the book... the movie hardly has a plot, it's junk) other than being cheap, somewhat nutritious, and "what you got" if you weren't rich.

You want a truly great read, get the book. You want a horrible viewing experience, get the film.

Re:"Soylent Green is people!" (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043663)

I thought the joke was that "soylent green is people" was included in the trailers advertising the movie so that you ended up having absolutely no reason to watch it since the trailer told you the twist before it was even released.

No matter it's Soylent or Soylent Green ... (5, Insightful)

Taco Cowboy (5327) | about a year ago | (#46043557)

... where's FDA ?

I mean, FDA (the Food and Drug Administration for the uninitiated) is supposed to have been tasked to oversee the safety over ***FOOD***.

This guy is selling his Soylent brand ***FOOD*** to 20,000 people to the tune of $ 2 Million, isn't it time FDA takes some samples and have them tested for safety ?

I am never for BIG GOVERNMENT, but there are times the government does need to step in to assure the safety of the food people buy and eat - especially when this guy use the word "Soylent" as his brand of food, which originally means Soy and Lentil, when his food doesn't even contain Soy.

Re:No matter it's Soylent or Soylent Green ... (4, Insightful)

Immerman (2627577) | about a year ago | (#46043609)

I wouldn't imagine that the FDA would have much to say, beyond the usual cleanliness checks, etc. that any food company faces. After all doesn't pretty much everything in his concoction qualify as a ingredient or food additive? Hell, it's probably a lot closer to real food than a Twinkie.

Re:"Soylent Green is people!" (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043323)

The fact that there is no mod for "duhhhhhhhhhhh" is why I continue to post as AC.

Re:"Soylent Green is people!" (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043679)

You're probably just too lazy to create an account.

Re: "Soylent Green is people!" (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043709)

And you are too lazy to type "you are."

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (1)

hcs_$reboot (1536101) | about a year ago | (#46043303)

Are you sure about that? According to the main page [soylent.me] FAQ (bottom)
Is there any soy in Soylent?
Hardly any. Please see blog.soylent.me for a preliminary ingredient list, once the formula is finalized we will be releasing the official Soylent v1.0 ingredients/nutritional breakdown.

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043397)

The name "soylent" comes from Harry Harrison's 1966 book "Make Room! Make Room!" which concerns a highly overpopulated and starving society; this book was adapted to the film "Soylent Green". "Soylent" is a portmanteau of "soy" and "lentil":

"Billy Chung managed to work the plastic container of soylent steaks up under his shirt and, when he bent half double, it wasn't easily noticeable Soylent steaks, a whole boxful, each flat and brown and big as his hand Billy ate three of the soybean and lentil steaks"

This nitwit has borrowed the name, probably having seen the derivative film and never twigged to the fact that the word meant something.

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (5, Informative)

Fwipp (1473271) | about a year ago | (#46043417)

Or, if you read the linked article, you'll see that he specifically corrects the interviewer, telling him "Actually, in the original book Make Room! Make Room! Soylent is made of soya and lentil."

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043429)

So, he's an even bigger nitwit: knowing it already means one thing, he appropriates it to mean another.

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (1)

sjames (1099) | about a year ago | (#46043447)

So the product soylent is not in fact a substitute food?

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043495)

If you mean the soylent in Harrison's book, it's not a "substitute food"; it's a processed staple. There are other products in the book that might be more suitable analogues for what nitwit is producing, such as ener-G:

[Sol] opened a canister and showed Andy the granular brown substance inside. "It is a new miracle ingredient supplied by our benevolent government and called ener-G--and how's that for a loathsomely cute name? It contains vitamins, minerals, protein, carbohydrates. . . ."

"Everything except flavor?"

"That's about the size of it. I put it in with the oatmeal, I doubt if it can do any harm because at this moment I am beginning to hate oatmeal. This ener-G stuff is the product of the newest wonder of science, the plankton whale."

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (3, Funny)

davester666 (731373) | about a year ago | (#46043677)

no, it is more like a plant-based version of concrete. You take a little bit in a bowl, add water, add some cooked peas, and a cooked sugarbeet [cut in 1/2in cubes], mix it all together and eat before it hardens.

It winds up hardening to a solid in your stomach, and you lose weight because you can't physically eat as much. It's the cheap, home version of getting your stomach stapled.

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (1)

ElectraFlarefire (698915) | about a year ago | (#46043315)

Only Soylent Green is people..
There was also a Soylent Red and.. I don't remember the others..
Soylent Green was just a different and new one!

It gives the marketing of this product some room to grow.. Different 'Soylent's that taste or are different in some ways.
I want Soylent Brown.. A tasty coffee/chocolate breakfast version! High in caffeine!

Re:Somebody wasn't paying attention (4, Funny)

luckymutt (996573) | about a year ago | (#46043589)

I hope that's what it tastes like.

Just stay away from the Green label (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043277)

Just stay away from the Green label

Re:Just stay away from the Green label (1)

thesameguy (1047504) | about a year ago | (#46043313)

Indeed. You'll want to stick with Amber as long as possible.

Because Soylent Green is PEOPLE. IT'S PEOPLE I TELL YOU!

Ambers are people too (1, Offtopic)

davidwr (791652) | about a year ago | (#46043385)

Amber? are people too. [wikipedia.org]

Do you know what else came in green and amber? 1970s/1980s monochrome computer monitors. Yes, I'm a nerd. But this is Slashdot, so you already knew that.

Read what ARS technica wrote (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043279)

It was a 5 part series and was really interesting. Overall, they had a positive view of Soylent after you get past the first 2 days of stomach cramps

Re:Read what ARS technica wrote (1)

davester666 (731373) | about a year ago | (#46043683)

That is straight out of a torture manual.

"post-food consumers" (5, Insightful)

secretvampire (622660) | about a year ago | (#46043287)

Considering that good food and cooking are some of the great pleasures in life, no thanks! I find the concept pretty depressing, actually.

Re:"post-food consumers" (2, Insightful)

neonmonk (467567) | about a year ago | (#46043309)

You don't have to replace your entire diet with Soylent.

Re:"post-food consumers" (2)

secretvampire (622660) | about a year ago | (#46043319)

Okay. I get kinda miffed when I waste a meal on what turns out to be shitty food. I am pretty sure this stuff would fall into that category.

Re:"post-food consumers" (3, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043375)

Most meals are just an inconvenience.

Re: "post-food consumers" (0, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043421)

said the AC that can't cook.

Your tune will change with time young one.

Re: "post-food consumers" (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043577)

As a different AC who can cook quite well, and considers cooking a rather major and serious hobby with considerable cumulative time and effort investments: I agree most meals are an inconvenience. While I cook most of my dinners from scratch, quite often breakfasts and lunches are more about fitting into a schedule,often lacking time, equipment and space to make a properly cooked meal. Unless you want to precook something specific to that meal, or take a decent chunk out of your lunch time to prepare something (even though I can prepare a decent dinner in 15 minutes, that would be a large fraction of my lunch time, and the entirety of my breakfast time), you end up with either leftovers or paying someone a lot more to get something decent, quick, and healthy.

If I had the option to replace a meal with a 5 minute drink, I would frequently exercise it for meals, because eating well is not the only pleasure in life and cooking is not my only hobby. I would rather get back to working on other interesting projects during the day, and even possibly get home earlier to have more time to concentrate on making a single nice meal, then spreading time over three meals.

I don't view every meal that I don't cook as a wasted opportunity, because sometimes the compromise is letting me make gains elsewhere, and I'm not trying to maximize every meal at the expense of any other priority or preference. I also don't consider every glass of water I drink to be a missed opportunity to drink something more interesting or better. I don't consider every packaged program I install to be a missed opportunity to program my own, nor would I question someone else's interest or skill in programming because they choose some packaged programs over doing everything from scratch.

Re: "post-food consumers" (4, Interesting)

AK Marc (707885) | about a year ago | (#46043603)

I can cook better than most, borderline cooking show good. Meals are still an inconvenience. I look forward to a cure for sleep, and a cure for meals.

Re:"post-food consumers" (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043423)

its still a meal no matter what you ingest

Re:"post-food consumers" (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043379)

You don't have to replace your entire diet with Soylent.

So its kinda like Slim Fast.

Re:"post-food consumers" (1)

Immerman (2627577) | about a year ago | (#46043631)

Yeah, that's the impression I got, except with a much broader range of nutrients, a full selection of calories, and no crappy artificial flavors.

Re:"post-food consumers" (4, Insightful)

PapayaSF (721268) | about a year ago | (#46043343)

Indeed. I think this might work as an emergency ration, or perhaps a diet regimen, but I'm not seeing the attraction otherwise.

It also makes me think about something I read decades ago. Supposedly a scientist extracted every known vitamin and nutrient from rat chow, and fed it to rats, leaving out the leftover "non-nutrients." Eventually the rats sickened and died. The lesson of this, as told by the nutrition types I heard it from, was that we have not identified all necessary vitamins and nutrients in foods, so it's risky to think you can make fully nutritious artificial food.

But I just finished a 12-hour work day, so I'll leave it to someone else to track down a reference.

Re:"post-food consumers" (4, Interesting)

dbIII (701233) | about a year ago | (#46043433)

That lesson was learnt by the British Navy before lime juice, and by some Arctic explorers almost just over a century ago (Karluk). State of the art diets let to deficiency problems that seemingly random fresh food could fix (eg. seal blubber and offel). The state of the art have moved on a lot, many things have been identified since the Karluk and surely many things since the rat experiment, but the true test is seeing if the state of the art diet really does perform in an experiment.

Re:"post-food consumers" (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043547)

Your digestive tract itself needs more than just nutrients to stay healthy. The most commonly talked about non-nutrient item is Fiber. There is more to a "healthy diet" than just the basic nutrients, and that's what most critics are suspicious of in this case. We've seen attempts to replace food with a distilled nutrient substance, so far the closest we've come is Baby Formula and even that has turned out not to be the Miracle it was first hailed as.

Re:"post-food consumers" (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043619)

So, add appropriate amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber to the mix... it would even be easy enough to give flexibility in the ratio of the two to adjust to your system and diet's needs, like many people already do with fiber products.

Re:"post-food consumers" (-1, Flamebait)

mysidia (191772) | about a year ago | (#46043573)

Yeah... I was wondering about shelf life, and cost to order a 1 year supply of it. Because I'd still like to have some food to eat after Obama's Federal reserve QE-infinity + Affordable care trainwreck causes the collapse of the dollar and unaffordable energy + food prices for a year or so.

Re:"post-food consumers" (3, Informative)

AK Marc (707885) | about a year ago | (#46043657)

Seems they make this from processed food, not from extracted nutrients. Calories, protein, and vitamins weren't assembled into this, but whole-food was "optimized", but still includes the slop that makes up food.

Re:"post-food consumers" (1)

Immerman (2627577) | about a year ago | (#46043693)

I could see the appeal of a meal or two a day this way, especially if you blended it in with some fruit or something to make it tasty. I often eat meals simply to fuel my body, a quick shake would be a lot less of an interruption, and thus leave me more time to cook later when I'm actually in the mood to sit down and enjoy my food.

Not to mention I'd probably be getting a much healthier and more balanced diet than is often the case, no doubt my body would like that.

Re:"post-food consumers" (2)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about a year ago | (#46043425)

I'm not sure why anybody would attempt to live on this stuff (though cooking is an arduous chore, so I suppose it does avoid that); but it seems like it has a fairly compelling use-case as an equally convenient alternative to far less benignly constructed convenience foods. Microwave TV dinners are almost as joyless and probably kill you faster.

Re:"post-food consumers" (4, Interesting)

dryeo (100693) | about a year ago | (#46043475)

Cheap food for prisons?

Re:"post-food consumers" (4, Informative)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about a year ago | (#46043537)

I think prisons already have nutriloaf, which they value for its combination of penal and nutritive(ish) qualities. The courts keep going back and forth on the 8th amendment suitability of that one...

Re:"post-food consumers" (2)

hodagacz (948570) | about a year ago | (#46043627)

In your opinion. I really don't care what stuff tastes like because I'm partially anosmic (adult onset) reducing my sense of smell and taste so everything tastes like dirt if it has any kind of strong flavors.

Even before that I wasn't crazy about eating for flavors so it didn't bother me that much.

Re:"post-food consumers" (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043629)

So have you never made a meal choice out of convenience because you sometimes have other priorities? Does your entire life revolve around making every meal the best possible, or do you sometimes save time or other resources to put toward other pursuits?

Bachelor chow! (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043293)

In the interview, it is also called bachelor chow. I think that would be a much better name. It's a convenient food alternative, instead of a dystopian horror story.

Soylent Grey is really _____ ! (1)

bussdriver (620565) | about a year ago | (#46043393)

It's not green, so it doesn't have people in it yet. So what secret will we discover is the ingredient in Soylent Grey?

Re:Soylent Grey is really _____ ! (2)

Jeremi (14640) | about a year ago | (#46043565)

It's not green, so it doesn't have people in it yet.

I'm pretty sure the people-based version would taste better.

So what secret will we discover is the ingredient in Soylent Grey?

I'm not sure, but I think this is the stuff they were eating aboard ship in 'The Matrix'.

Re:Bachelor chow! (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043539)

First the Death Clock is stolen from Futurama (Metalocalypse). Now Bachelor Chow? Why did they cancel the show if everyone is getting so much influence from it?

But How Does It Taste? (5, Funny)

Greyfox (87712) | about a year ago | (#46043295)

"It varies from person to person..."

Yes, I stole that from Futurama

Space Food (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043305)

This sounds gimmicky, like freeze-dried space food.

Besides that who would want to give up food for this? Its like giving up sex for masturbation.

Re:Space Food (3, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043311)

Did that years ago. Much less drama in your life that way, and way cheaper.

Re:Space Food (2)

Concerned Onlooker (473481) | about a year ago | (#46043401)

Food isn't supposed to cause that much drama.

Guy is a loon (5, Interesting)

RobinEggs (1453925) | about a year ago | (#46043307)

Go read his blog post about the "results" he experienced. He's giving the full-blown "I now have the body of a 12 year old and my brain increased in efficiency 400%" kind of crap under "qualitative". It's great to feel better after you start eating better, but unless his prior diet was >50% animal product and too much of it for his calorie needs, I'm calling bullshit.

Under quantitative, apparently his blood work improved quite a bit. Yeah, your blood work tends to improve when you eat a simple vegan diet, and that's all soylent contains. Vegan ingredients with a 2 oz mix of fish and vegetable oil per day.

I guess it's nice to have a supremely convenient and very healthy diet that makes you feel better, but he's laying it on pretty fucking thick. Not to mention you could create a diet of the same health benefits with maybe 15 raw ingredients. You could just put the shit in a blender if you wanted...

Re:Guy is a loon (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043347)

No shit, this doesn't sound much different than those "Juice Cleanse" freaks making many dubious health claims.

body of a 12 year old??? Re:Guy is a loon (1)

davidwr (791652) | about a year ago | (#46043409)

I now have the body of a 12 year old

So his voice is about to crack, he's skinny, and no woman would dare date him for fear of going to prison? What adult wants that?

Yeah, 12 was kind of fun when the bullies weren't around, but even if I had a magic wand I wouldn't want to revisit that age again, at least not for more than a few days.

Re:Guy is a loon (1)

phantomfive (622387) | about a year ago | (#46043449)

"I now have the body of a 12 year old

I'm not sure that's an improvement over what I have now, and I'm balding.

Re:Guy is a loon (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043457)

> but unless his prior diet was >50% animal product and too much of it for his calorie needs, I'm calling bullshit.

Well according to his blog, his weight prior to this diet was 204 lbs. My guess is that his prior food intake was not the healthiest.

Re:Guy is a loon (1)

KingOfBLASH (620432) | about a year ago | (#46043509)

It's called marketing for a reason. Nobody comes up with a new diet that you pay $$$$ for the food and says it makes them feel like crap.

Re:Guy is a loon (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043567)

"I now have the body of a 12 year old"

So he lost his facial and pubic hair, broke out with a bad case of Acne, and he's constantly sporting an under-sized boner?

Re:Guy is a loon (1)

purpledinoz (573045) | about a year ago | (#46043705)

The placebo effect can be very strong. But I think it's a really interesting experiment. I can't believe this mix of powders doesn't already exist as a product. I can see this being a great meal replacement every so often, or maybe even as a breakfast routine. There have been many instances while traveling, where I wished I had a cheap healthy option to eat at the airport. It would be awesome to have some powder I can mix up and drink to hold me over until the next meal. Also, it might be also a great option to have in the plane itself, since it won't make you poop.

Meal Replacement Products (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043339)

How is this fundamentally different than MRP's that have existed for decades?

Perfect for conspiracy theorists (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043345)

Conspiracy theorists and alternative medicine freaks are a lucrative market, there was no way this could have failed.

Yeah... (1)

The_Star_Child (2660919) | about a year ago | (#46043363)

No thanks.

What colors does it come in? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043367)

Dohhhh!!!!

Just had a meal (5, Insightful)

vikingpower (768921) | about a year ago | (#46043369)

1) French onion soup with croûtons and cheese

2) Steak ( bloody ) in green pepper sauce, no potatoes or whatever side dish

3) "Mohr im Hemd" ( Austrian chocolate dessert )

accompanied by Rhine wine. How does that compare to slurping some soylent ? The table conversation ? The joy of eating ? I simply don't get it, what the fun of soylent could be. Must be me.

Re:Just had a meal (1)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about a year ago | (#46043419)

I certainly don't see the fun of soylent; but I bet the amount of shopping and prep work is a lot lower, which can be a perk.

Re:Just had a meal (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043485)

Here, we got you an annual supply of Soylent to drink so you don't have to worry about packing lunches or preparing any meals at all. You're welcome. Now get back to work, slav.. I mean.. valued employee!

Re:Just had a meal (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043437)

as awesome as that sounds, and omg it does, it has the nutritional value of drinking a cup of fat, you could counter act that awesome dinner with a glass of this shit for lunch and be better off

Re:Just had a meal (1)

phantomfive (622387) | about a year ago | (#46043467)

it has the nutritional value of drinking a cup of fat

Which actually has high nutritional value (depending on the type of fat).

Fat is a necessary and important macro-nutrient, the problems come when you eat too much of it at the exclusion of other nutrients.

Re:Just had a meal (4, Informative)

phantomfive (622387) | about a year ago | (#46043453)

The point is, you don't have to spend time cooking and cleaning, don't have to worry whether you're getting the right nutrients, and you can spend time focusing on things you enjoy more. Most people aren't eating Mohr im Hemd every day, and a lot of us are eating mediocre, self-cooked stuff.

This isn't for the special occasion, nice, weekend meals; this is for the every-day-grind food.

Re:Just had a meal (1)

mysidia (191772) | about a year ago | (#46043599)

So go to McDonald's every day and order a McSoylent, instead of the daily Big Mac and friesr? :)

Re:Just had a meal (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043607)

Is there anything more enjoyable than tasty food? (except maybe sex, for me is a tie)

Re:Just had a meal (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043533)

It's fast to take, you don't need to spent upward to an hour to cook, so it's great if you're busy.

It makes things like "proper" meal into special occasion, you get to enjoy that proper food even more as well with a richer taste due to you not consuming anything of the sort for a while.

This is mostly aimed for single people for now I guess. Though quite frankly, we don't speak at the table here, it's considered impolite.

Re:Just had a meal (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043587)

Soylent isn't there to replace good meals; it's there to replace quick, crappy meals. You're surely either not eating like that all the time, spending a ton of time on cooking, or wealthy enough to have elaborate meals prepared for you. That's not the case for everybody and it seems willfully obtuse and kinda humblebraggy to not grasp that.

Re:Just had a meal (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043617)

hey cool, you are in austria? are you living there?

Re:Just had a meal (1)

hodagacz (948570) | about a year ago | (#46043649)

It is you.

Re:Just had a meal (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043681)

The table conversation ?

You shouldn't need food to sit down at a table and have a good conversation with friends. In fact, in my experience the food gets in the way, because it is difficult to eat and talk at the same time unless you rush through the eating. If I could recover an extra hour or two a day, that could be filled by a lot of other activities, including more social or active ones. The point isn't that the soylent would be fun, but that now you can put that time and effort into something else you find even more fun.

Re:Just had a meal (1)

hey! (33014) | about a year ago | (#46043697)

My supper was red beans (cooked with tomato, onion, pepper, garlic, spices, hot sauce and ham stock) with rice, and hummus with vegetable spears. The hummus was store bought and the beans were canned, so the meal took me about 20 minutes to cook.

I had no dessert, instead I had an ounce or so of calvados (French brandy made from cider).

Couldn't Resist... (0)

Dialecticus (1433989) | about a year ago | (#46043381)

Harry: "Oh ho ho! Soylent green!? (laughs)...Didn't even know they made it in green. What do they PAY you?"
John Oldman: "Nothing is too good for my friends."

Here's a question... why? (2)

FuzzNugget (2840687) | about a year ago | (#46043403)

Why would you never want to eat food again? I enjoy food. Taste is a sensation essential to enjoying life. Our bodies are made to naturally consume nutrients in the form of *food*, not powder.

You know why you get stomach cramps for a few days with this stuff? Because it's basically the same idea behind feeding tubes for patients who are unable to process food. I can tell you from personal experience that it's pretty miserable.

I can understand the use of this stuff for a malnourished population or maybe a field military operation where supplies are rationed and space is tight, but as some fashionable movement to create the "post-food man"? Why would you do that to yourself and deny yourself the essential pleasure of eating?

Re:Here's a question... why? (1)

Concerned Onlooker (473481) | about a year ago | (#46043435)

"Why would you do that to yourself and deny yourself the essential pleasure of eating?"

Not everyone is a foodie. Me, for instance. I consider eating to be a hassle and something that just gets in the way of other more interesting things. If I could do away sleeping as well, all the better.

Having said that I doubt I could do this 100% of the time.

Re:Here's a question... why? (1)

Okian Warrior (537106) | about a year ago | (#46043601)

Why would you never want to eat food again?

Because I don't care about food, never did, and I have a handful of minor medical issues which might be fixed by eating soylent?

Because Soylent costs about half as much as regular food?

Because drinking Soylent takes 5 min, while making and eating a meal (best case scenario) takes a half an our of preparation and fifteen minutes of cleanup?

Because Soylent requires no time spent shopping, and no refrigeration needed, while the alternative takes a 2-hour trip to the supermarket each week?

Is it so hard to believe that some people think that these benefits outweigh the alternatives?

Re:Here's a question... why? (2)

phantomfive (622387) | about a year ago | (#46043667)

Why would you never want to eat food again? I enjoy food.

This is a false dilemma......this isn't a replacement for delicious food, it's a replacement for crappy food you cook yourself when you don't have time. It doesn't prevent you from eating delicious food whenever you can (and want) to get it.

Re:Here's a question... why? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043687)

Some people do not get pleasure from eating. Most people have managed to cross wire food and amusement.
But they are not the same thing. And it's why so many of you are FAT and getting fatter.

You eat when you're bored, not when you need calories.
It's the default thing you do every single day. "lets eat, where should we go eat, lets have people over and eat..."
Your entire life revolves around food in some form. You can't GO anywhere or DO anything unless food is involved in some major way.

And i will just never get that.
You HAVE to eat every day. It is not optional.

Getting off on eating is much the same as getting off on breathing... And some people just are not into that. Beyond having to do it to stay alive.
We'd rather use our engery and time for something else we DO enjoy. Something with some return beyond simply existing and getting fat.

Eating is a basic requirement to stay alive and nothing more for me.
I wouldn't eat if i didn't HAVE to. It's a huge time investment. Selecting, buying, preparing, eating, cleanup. Especially if you want healthy.
It's just something that must be done and i've gotten it down to wasting a total of 20 minutes a day max. And even that's too much.

When the 'food pill' gets here i'll do that and forget about it entirely.

Possibly good for you (2)

Okian Warrior (537106) | about a year ago | (#46043415)

There's the remote possibility that eating soylent might be good for you.

If you look into nutrition studies, you find lots of little anecdote studies (meaning: one-off scientific studies) that look like a small piece of a larger puzzle. Beef and chicken contain antibiotics which can trigger mild allergic reactions, glutin (from wheat) is a mild poison made by the plant to discourage predators, bread is now made with Bromine instead of Iodine (which the body needs)...

There's just a zillion different ways in which our diet is non-optimal, and a zillion little ailments with no known cause.

(Vitamins typically use Magnesium Oxide as a supplement - but this form isn't bio-available. Is Fibromyalgia caused by low Magnesium?)

A diet consisting of a everything you need without all the additives might just cure some of these diseases; though, I wonder whether lack of roughage will cause problems.

Still, it might be an interesting impromptu experiment. The effects of eating Soylent will be something to watch.

I'm Not Eating That Dogshit!! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043427)

'nuff said.

You May Never Have to Eat Again (1)

MrKaos (858439) | about a year ago | (#46043451)

but you'll sure as shit have to shit again.

The problem I have with this is that I don't think (4, Insightful)

hey! (33014) | about a year ago | (#46043465)

we really understand nutrition well enough to hack it. We keep learning that things we'd overlooked were significant -- phytochemicals, resistant starch, and a practically un-ending parade of classes of fats.

Still, we *are* being nutritionally hacked by food companies all the time, so I suppose this can hardly be worse. But the food companies have a specific goal in mind -- to get us to eat more of their product while making that product cheap as possible. I don't think we're at the point where someone can look at a nutrition textbook and design a healthy synthetic diet.

Re:The problem I have with this is that I don't th (1)

Laxori666 (748529) | about a year ago | (#46043707)

What I wonder is - how exactly is this different from something like Ensure, which you can live on drinking nothing but?

Awesome! (3, Insightful)

the_Bionic_lemming (446569) | about a year ago | (#46043471)

I encourage all the "healthy People" and all of the "diet gurus" and all of the Activists to jump on this bandwagon.

The ones jumping off the "eat stuff" bandwagon will help me get cheaper foods to support my PETA habit... (People Eating Tasty Animals)

To toss a stab at the "oh god it takes so much effort to make food" whiner.

Open a crock pot, drop a slab of beef in it, open a jar of pepperoncinis and dump the contents in, turn on, walk away for a few hours, then consume. It takes less than a few minutes to prepare, and you won't get sick from mixing powders together.

I already do that (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043473)

Well, sort of. I lived on hemp protein smoothies for breakfast for years. I also never got tired of the taste and it was quite easy to make. It did involve bananas and linseed oil, but I made about 20 at a time in 750mL Ziploc containers and put them in the freezer. The night before I'd put one in the fridge and take it to the gym the next morning. It was sufficiently defrosted by then to be the post-workout meal.

Now I have matured to the next level, scotch and haggis. I could have that 3 times a day from now on as well, if haggis were easier to get in Montreal...

Soygis green ... is sheep!!!

Nasty shit which sounds like Nutraloaf (1, Flamebait)

mendax (114116) | about a year ago | (#46043477)

Nutraloaf [wikipedia.org] is this shit that some jails and prisons feed to their inmates who are in solitary confinement for punishment purposes. It sounds very nasty, not unlike this Soylent shit.

juicers (3, Informative)

the_Bionic_lemming (446569) | about a year ago | (#46043505)

I'd like to toss out a healthy and tasty way of getting nutrients - I have a juicer that I use to juice up two medium tomatoes, a green pepper, a couple of carrots , and a beet.

I add a bit of vinegar and some salt.

It's tasty and has the carotene for the eyes, the beet contains nitrates so it's good for the circulatory system, and you've got all the good stuff from tomato and green veg.

Adding kale is a boost as well.

A lot more work goes into cleaning the juicer but I've had an improvement in eyesight and general health feel that may be psychosomatic, but could care less since I do feel better..

Variety ! (5, Insightful)

dargaud (518470) | about a year ago | (#46043513)

I don't care if you can live off his stuff; I want VARIETY from my food (and many other things in life as well). I cannot imagine having to eat the same thing every day, I'd much rather be already dead.

Pre-ordering food? (4, Interesting)

Animats (122034) | about a year ago | (#46043611)

This "pre-ordering" thing has gotten out of hand when someone takes $2 million in pre-orders for a food product. Even worse, their current payment policy:

"When is my card charged?
Since we have already reached our fundraising goal, your card will be charged immediately."

Since they promised shipment in "early 2014", and it's early 2014, If they don't start shipping in volume within days, they're going to run into trouble with the FTC's Mail Order Rule. (The Mail Order Rule can be summarized as "ship within 30 days of promised delivery date or offer a refund; after 60 days, send a refund unless the customer explicitly gives you more time in writing").

Ersatz-food that's for YOU!! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#46043671)

Vegetable Ersatz-food that's for you, sweetheart.. me I'll just have you.. after your system has filtered at least some of the
txoins I will have your meat .. but wont ever want to eat your liver or your kidneys.