Chefs Preview Surface Tension-Based Cocktail Garnishes

samzenpus posted about 8 months ago | from the drinking-science dept.

Science 33

carmendrahl writes "Last fall, MIT researchers made news for developing two bioinspired cocktail toppers-- a moving cocktail boat and a floral pipette-- in collaboration with James Beard Award-winning chef José Andrés. Both the boat and floral pipette operate by taking advantage of surface tension-- either to propel the boat forward or to keep small drops of liquid inside the flower's petals. Some of those early garnishes were nominally edible. But to make them worthy of a restaurant debut requires balancing of flavors, temperature, density, and alcohol content, among other factors. Here's a look inside Andrés' company ThinkFoodGroup to see how the project is coming along. The toppers aren't available to the public just yet."

I'm all for science classes to be done at the bar (1)

h00manist (800926) | about 8 months ago | (#45941951)

There are numerous advantages to science classes to take place in bars. Top argument would be the increased interest.

Re:I'm all for science classes to be done at the b (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#45942039)

As long as you don't formulate and drive.

There is a paywall ? (1)

h00manist (800926) | about 8 months ago | (#45942393)

Makes formulating rather difficult, while driving or not.

Re:I'm all for science classes to be done at the b (4, Funny)

lgw (121541) | about 8 months ago | (#45943127)

Wow, AC totally flubbed that joke.

"Don't Drink and Derive!"

There, was that so hard?

Re:I'm all for science classes to be done at the b (2)

ackthpt (218170) | about 8 months ago | (#45942087)

Science applied to make your choice of intoxicant more fun is always a plus.

Generally, when I've done something with a drink in a pub, which confounds and amazes, I proclaim "It's SCIENCE! Drink up!"

Cheers!

Re:I'm all for science classes to be done at the b (1)

bickerdyke (670000) | about 8 months ago | (#45942655)

Or as my english teacher said as she poured everyone another Johnny Walker: Drink up! That's liquid culture!

Re:I'm all for science classes to be done at the b (1)

jimshatt (1002452) | about 8 months ago | (#45943935)

So did my Kindergarten teacher.

Re:I'm all for science classes to be done at the b (1)

bickerdyke (670000) | about 8 months ago | (#45944889)

Well, believe it or not, (probably not if you're from the US) but school can be quite relaxed if students are past legal drinking age.

I don't know how other schools handles it, but ours had a tradition of out-of-school meetings/party/BBQ with students and teachers during the last two years of school. Not too exciting if you know that we were around 19/20 then and a legal age of 18 for alcohol consumption.

Re:I'm all for science classes to be done at the b (1)

Hognoxious (631665) | about 8 months ago | (#45944403)

Or as my english teacher said as she poured everyone another Johnny Walker

I don't doubt it.

Re:I'm all for science classes to be done at the b (1)

CanHasDIY (1672858) | about 8 months ago | (#45943089)

Science applied to make your choice of intoxicant more fun is always a plus.

Yea, but if your choice of intoxicant needs to be made more fun, you're not doing something right.

Kinda sorta reminds me.. (4, Interesting)

ackthpt (218170) | about 8 months ago | (#45942065)

Back when I was a kid there were these little toys you could put in a bowl of water, add a drop of vegetable oil to and watch them zip around until the surface of water molecules and been evenly overlaid with a uniform layer of oil.

I see petals, blooms or leafs drop into pools do this at times while out on a hike or in a park.

Re:Kinda sorta reminds me.. (0)

You can see this happening on West Virginia's water supply right now!

Re:Kinda sorta reminds me.. (1)

ron_ivi (607351) | about 8 months ago | (#45942911)

If only you had patented it....

Rand Paul Says ( Score: +5, Political ) (-1)

Burn during drinking [youtube.com]

Wonderful news! (-1, Troll)

axl917 (1542205) | about 8 months ago | (#45942475)

Surely this means that all world hunger and nutrition issues across the globe have been solved, now that corporations are pouring millions into 3D cocktail garnish R&D, right?

Re:Wonderful news! (0)

Fun fact: Time wasted by having to deal with concern trolls like you is the main reason why cancer hasn't been eradicated yet.

Re:Wonderful news! (1)

ackthpt (218170) | about 8 months ago | (#45942573)

It'll all be upset by the second coming of Prohibition.

Re:Wonderful news! (1)

MickyTheIdiot (1032226) | about 8 months ago | (#45942601)

If it makes money then DO IT.

Re:Wonderful news! (0)

As if prissy wasn't prissy enough.

Re:Wonderful news! (2)

Anonymous Psychopath (18031) | about 8 months ago | (#45942907)

Yes, it's frivolous, but it's interesting. Unless everything you do every day drives towards those goals, you're a hypocrite.

Re:Wonderful news! (0)

Of course! If it weren't surely you'd be too busy working on that problem to make this post, right?

Garnish = Good Times (0)

rmdingler (1955220) | about 8 months ago | (#45942667)

Good times.

Re:Garnish = Good Times (0)

When food is so readily available we can afford to set aside a small amount of it for trim and decoration, it's just not that tough out there. Think how many present countries and/or past civilizations would stand mouth agape at our excesses.

Why so cynical? Edible food garnish does not involve wasting any food. Even poor people spent time to make their food nicer to eat. That said, we do live in a time of luxury. Throughout human history only a small number of people have eaten as well as most Americans today.

However, I still don't get your gripe about an edible garnish. We toss away so much uneaten food it's crazy, but this isn't an example of that. Those past civilizations would be mouth agape and drooling at our luxury.

Re:Garnish = Good Times (1)

Anonymous Psychopath (18031) | about 8 months ago | (#45942987)

Good times.

Dude, it's just raspberry jello. I kind of get your point, but Jesus H, Debbie Downer, better remember your position next time you eat any little thing you didn't absolutely need.

Re:Garnish = Good Times (1)

rmdingler (1955220) | about 8 months ago | (#45945893)

Jesus_H._Mary_and Joseph~It's an ability to reflect on the statistical likelihood of being born in an epoch of history where I wasn't rounded up by the Baron's men for swordplay against some neighboring Baron's men.

The raw probability of arriving to raise a family in such a time and place of peace and plenty.

You know, grateful.... not hateful.

Re:Garnish = Good Times (1)

Anonymous Psychopath (18031) | about 8 months ago | (#45961613)

My misinterpretation, sorry about that. I apologize.

Re:Garnish = Good Times (1)

retchdog (1319261) | about 8 months ago | (#45943639)

anything beyond milk, potatoes, and a multivitamin is unnecessary luxury.

Re:Garnish = Good Times (2)

PPH (736903) | about 8 months ago | (#45943865)

Food availability isn't an issue of lack of supply. Its about production and distribution in the middle of some paramilitary pissing match.

"...aren't available to the public just yet." (1)

SpankiMonki (3493987) | about 8 months ago | (#45942925)

HAHA. I'm sure these cute little toppers will be available to the public once the technology is patented and licensed.

(yes, this post is a troll)

Belongs in Panem. (1)

Animats (122034) | about 8 months ago | (#45943421)

This will go over really well in the Capitol of Panem.

Re:Belongs in Panem. (0)

Mod parent up ... after you go expel your garnishes to make room for more.

Poofter drinks (0)

Manhattans and martinis aside, cocktails are for faggots.

I'm on psychiatric medicine, so I avoid alcohol fo (0)

I'm on psychiatric medicine, so I avoid alcohol for safety reasons. But I'm sure I'd love to experience something like this. Maybe soon there will be a version for people who aren't smashed?