Telescopic Contact Lens With Switchable Magnification To Help AMD Patients

samzenpus posted about a year ago | from the eye-enhancement dept.

Medicine 68

cylonlover writes "Age-related macular degeneration is the leading cause of blindness among older adults in the western world. Unfortunately, conventional optical aids provide little help for a retina which has lost the acuity of its central area. Now a team of multinational researchers led by University of California, San Diego Professor Joseph Ford has created a telescopic contact lens that can switch between normal and magnified vision to offer AMD patients a relatively unobtrusive way to enhance their vision."

AMD patients? (5, Funny)

rossdee (243626) | about a year ago | (#44153749)

I didnt realize that AMD was a disease - I guess i should of bought a machine with Intel Inside(TM)

AMD patients? (2)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about a year ago | (#44153789)

But what about Intel pat oh wait, you beat me to it.

Re:AMD patients? (1)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about a year ago | (#44153805)

Safari keeps replacing my three dots with the … character and Slashdot keeps eating UTF-8 encoded text.

Re:AMD patients? (1)

SteveFoerster (136027) | about a year ago | (#44154251)

So, you're saying that both Safari and Slashdot need these special new contact lenses?

Re:AMD patients? (1)

Errol backfiring (1280012) | about a year ago | (#44153811)

If you had worn the lenses, you could have read that it is acutally "Anthill Inside"

Re:AMD patients? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44154225)

Me: Hello KoKgobbler!

You: Gobble gooble gobble!

Me: Alrighty then! Bye!

Re:AMD patients? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44154393)

Unfortunately either type of machine is susceptible to getting multiple sclerosis (MS)

Re:AMD patients? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44155073)

Not as long as they are mine...

Re:AMD patients? (1)

squiggleslash (241428) | about a year ago | (#44154895)

Have you ever tried to do some simple task and found yourself overheating, recovering only by stopping all work and sitting under a fan running at full speed? Well, if so, you may have AMD...

Re:AMD patients? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44154909)

Pentium 4 was made by AMD?

Re:AMD patients? (1)

aztracker1 (702135) | about a year ago | (#44155621)

I was thinking of the old Cyrix Cx5x86 series... they were an okay value, but hot as sin... "Chernobyl Chips" as my friend referred to them.

Re:AMD patients? (1)

peragrin (659227) | about a year ago | (#44161295)

it sounds like a joke, but I had one of the original Athlon processors. I couldn't put cover on the case or else the system would over heat. and even then it used four fans to draw air over it.

Re:AMD patients? (1)

jellomizer (103300) | about a year ago | (#44155945)

This is one of the first Stories in a while with Acronym that actually explains what it is, in the story headline. I really hate it when they post a story and shoot out acronyms left and right especially acronyms for a particular field that is not covered so much on Slashdot.

Re:AMD patients? (1)

Tablizer (95088) | about a year ago | (#44160005)

What they didn't tell you is that Intel is inside your eye, not your machine. That's why their slogan lacked an object.

Re:AMD patients? (1)

LifesABeach (234436) | about a year ago | (#44160663)

Oh so THAT was the warning label I was told about.

Oh please (5, Funny)

Sparticus789 (2625955) | about a year ago | (#44153755)

Telescopic contact lens + Linux-powered rifle scope = I can finally become Hawkeye. Minus the abs.

Re:Oh please (0)

AmiMoJo (196126) | about a year ago | (#44154447)

Sorry to rain on your parade but the laws of physics say otherwise. That bow is about as realistic as the average Hollywood gunfight.

Re:Oh please (2)

Sparticus789 (2625955) | about a year ago | (#44154589)

Hawkeye's power is not in the bow. His power is the ability to shoot or throw anything with precision. Telescopic contact lenses would give me enhanced eyesight and allow me to find targets at greater distance than normal. The Linux rifle scope would allow me to tag any target and hit it. The bow is merely his preferred weapon. [wikipedia.org]

Re:Oh please (1)

AmiMoJo (196126) | about a year ago | (#44154837)

True, I really meant that it was used in an unrealistic way, similar to how Hollywood guns never run out of ammo until the most dramatic moment and somehow the bullets send people flying but don't exert the same recoil in the shooter.

His arrows are fairly silly as well.

Re:Oh please (1)

rokstar (865523) | about a year ago | (#44155419)

Boomerang arrow. Boomerang, respect it.

Re:Oh please (1)

ThunderBird89 (1293256) | about a year ago | (#44157207)

That actually sounds more like Bullseye [wikipedia.org] . Hawkeye is usually bow-only (but has been shown to use improvised weapons, yes), while Bullseye has been shown to kill a man by spitting his tooth through the target's skull, and is able to use any object as a precise projectile weapon.

Re:Oh please (1)

Sparticus789 (2625955) | about a year ago | (#44158849)

I didn't want to say that I could be Bullseye, as it could land me on the NSA right-wing terrorist watch list. Not that it is likely that I haven't landed myself on that list already.

Re:Oh please (1)

DragonTHC (208439) | about a year ago | (#44154865)

sadly you will still lack the brain power necessary to calculate trajectories that fast.

Re:Oh please (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44155131)

I don't remember Hawkeye [imdb.com] using contact lens or a rifle scope.

I guess I have missed an episode of M*A*S*H [wikipedia.org] ...

Re:Oh please (1)

Runaway1956 (1322357) | about a year ago | (#44155287)

Hawkeye's pointed barbs never missed their target, you'll admit!

Re:Oh please (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44155585)

Hawkeye's pointed barbs never missed their target, you'll admit!

I'll admit nothing without consulting my lawyer!

Re:Oh please (1)

Sparticus789 (2625955) | about a year ago | (#44164211)

He did finally get with Hot Lips, but it took a Chinese artillery attack to start the moment. Sorry guys, it's WAYYYY past spoiler alert time.

My CPU... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44153765)

...also suffers from this condition.

Watch out for dirty old men (3, Informative)

arcite (661011) | about a year ago | (#44153767)

Zooming in for the breast shot! ;) yes I know, we'll all be dirty old men one day.

Re:Watch out for dirty old men (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44154539)

Actually slightly less than half of us will.

Re:Watch out for dirty old men (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44156915)

the rest will be glasshole recording artists.

Re:Watch out for dirty old men (1)

drinkypoo (153816) | about a year ago | (#44157361)

yes I know, we'll all be dirty old men one day.

Hooray for gay marriage, I guess.

The pace of technology (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44153801)

Next you'll be telling me they invented a one-size-fits-all contact lens with anamorphic autofocus.

I'm switching to Intel. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44153803)

AMD problem solved.

We have the Technology (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44153813)

We have the technology. We can rebuild them.

Come on guys (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44153883)

I realize AMD processors haven't been so great lately, but it's hardly necessary to consider those that use them as patients.

Unless you mean that we've learned to have patience with our computers.

Bad FA (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44153929)

When I was younger, I had a friend named Earl who suffered from AMD, a condition which slowly destroys the macula, the high-resolution central region of the eye's cornea.

The noncompos who wrote this article doesn't know the difference between a cornea and a retina. The macula is in the center of the retina, the cornea is the eye's outer lens. Does anybdoy have a link to an article about this that wasn't written by someone totally clueless about the subject matter? The subject itself is fascinating, but when I saw that moronic mistake I stopped reading.

Re:Bad FA (2)

theshowmecanuck (703852) | about a year ago | (#44156697)

You got it wrong by not trying to understand how a telescope helps. That would make you the moron. They put a telescope on the cornea [gizmag.com] as a way to distribute the light reflected from the object of interest to areas of retina around the damaged macula that isn't damaged [azooptics.com] . It is a way to allow functioning parts of the eye to be used to see things in the centre. My mother had this disease and it would have been awesome if she would have been able to use something like this (the idea came to late, even the implantable ones) for her.

It needs glasses??? (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44153973)

If you need glasses to switch between magnification and no magnification, then why not simply make the glasses do the magnification?

This seems to be rather silly in my book.

Now, the implantable zoomming replacement eye lense that costs $25,000 an eye they dismissed as too expensive, no THAT seems worth talking about.

Re:It needs glasses??? (3, Informative)

skids (119237) | about a year ago | (#44154977)

Because... REASONS!

No really, it causes issues with the brain when the lens does not move with the eye. Like vertigo. Yes I RTFA.

Re:It needs glasses??? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44156239)

Polarization filters can be switched electronically (like in your run-of-the-mill LCD) , so it is be feasable to switch the glasses' polarization filters (and therefore from normal to magnified vision) instantaneously.

Re:It needs glasses??? (1)

theshowmecanuck (703852) | about a year ago | (#44156885)

In your opinion. But otherwise no. If you look at what is actually involved in implanting a telescope in your eye [gizmag.com] you'd see that it is not really a good solution compared to a contact lens (if the latter is equally effective). The contact lens is way less obtrusive, less likely to cause future medical condition, less likely to cause catastrophic injury if someone were to get hit in the eye with anything. etc etc etc. Having recently being diagnosed with early stage AMD in one eye, I am glad someone is coming up with shit like this. But I would much rather see something like stem cell therapy or other biological solutions that provide a real cure; instead of having to learn how to interpret what is directly in front of me in the form of a doughnut shaped images.

AMD? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44154107)

Came here to make an Intel joke too. Curses...

Other features? (1)

Stele (9443) | about a year ago | (#44154135)

Well, what about other optical effects, like split screen, slow motion, Quantel?

Distracted by the ad (1)

sl4shd0rk (755837) | about a year ago | (#44154229)

"The Emergency Bra that doubles as a facemask"
What was TFA about now?

Re:Distracted by the ad (1)

wonkey_monkey (2592601) | about a year ago | (#44154619)

The Emergency Bra that doubles as a facemask

Uh. Are you sure it wasn't a bra that doubles as an emergency facemask? I mean, I guess there may be times when a woman urgently needs frontal support, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Garrett, is it you? :-) (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44154269)

Garrett, is it you? :-)

Yes but... (3, Funny)

Dusty101 (765661) | about a year ago | (#44154289)

... does it make The Noise from "The Six Million Dollar Man" when it zooms in?

Good news for AMD patients (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44154449)

But this is bad news for NVidia patients.

Re:Good news for AMD patients (1)

RMingin (985478) | about a year ago | (#44154499)

Nvidia doesn't have any patience.

OK, that's nice (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44154729)

Can we please stop playing 19th century watchmaker now and start understanding how cells work? Can we find a way to repair the systems here or what? If matter was able to organize itself into a retina with just a single cell as a starting point, why are we utterly unable to repair these systems?

Re:OK, that's nice (1)

Runaway1956 (1322357) | about a year ago | (#44155523)

'Cause we ain't as smart a specialized single cell?

Obl. Red Dwarf quote (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44155141)

Lister: Any problems?
Kryten: Well, just one or two. In fact I've compiled a little list if you'll indulge me. Now then, uh, my optical system doesn't appear to have a zoom function.
Lister: No, human eyes don't have a zoom.
Kryten: Well then, how do you bring a small object into sharp focus?
Lister: Well, you just move your head closer to the object.
Kryten: I see. Move your head ... closer, hmm, to the object. All right, okay. Well, what about other optical effects, like split screen, slow motion?
Lister: No. We don't have them.
Kryten: You don't have them - just the zoom? Hmm. Well, no, that's fine, that's great, no, no, that's really great, that's great.

New drivers? (1)

speps (1108625) | about a year ago | (#44155717)

After the Catalyst Control Center, we'll get the Cataract Control Center, hopefully won't use .NET this time around.

Any reason these have to be corrective only? (3, Interesting)

Mal-2 (675116) | about a year ago | (#44156101)

Is there some fundamental reason why these are only useful to someone with damaged vision? Since they are not implanted and have no moving parts, they shouldn't be much worse than regular contact lenses, which some people wear for purely cosmetic reasons. The biggest problem I can see would be the light loss from the polarizing glasses. Two stops is significant, especially at night, and the ability of the iris to compensate will be hampered by the size of the central pupil in the contact lens.

Re:Any reason these have to be corrective only? (1)

oreiasecaman (2466136) | about a year ago | (#44169697)

Came here to say that. I'd love having lens like that to augment my vision to beyond 20/20

Re:Any reason these have to be corrective only? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44169981)

Agreed, a problem for someone w normal vision wearing a telescopic device (which would be like looking through binoculars, only built into the eyes) would include a reduction in their field of vision (how much less of an area you can see while looking through binoculars, for example... no panoramic viewing), the loss of light allowed into each eye, being limited due to the limitations of this type of contact lens/device, and it is because of light, and light coming into the eyes at the proper angle that we are able to see, not to mention that as we age we need a greater amount of luminosity to see, even without a vision loss.

Additionally, I believe there would be a concern for any person with healthy vision regarding the wearing of such contacts, as it seems that the wearer would have to be regularly putting on and taking out various contact lenses with varying magnification levels and focal lengths/distances, depending on what they wish to view. With that much inserting and removing of contact lense, there is an incredibly high risk of eye infection and complications. Some eye infections can be incredibly painful and even lead to permanent damage to one's vision and thus vision loss. I don't know that I'd be willing to risk my perfectly good vision for that. To me the risk of an infection or infection-related vision loss, not to mention the inevitable problems to be discovered with the newness of such "contact lenses", would not be worth it! Not to mention the likely prohibitive cost!! No thanks!! I'll just wear a pair of binoculars around my neck, or better yet, wear a monocular hanging from a neck lanyard should I wish to see something far away in greater detail!! Or, if worse comes to worse.... I'll just move closer to what I'm trying to see!!!

Amy K. Brown MS, CLVT,CVRT
Masters of Vision Rehabilitation
Certified Low Vision Therapist
Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist

Re:Any reason these have to be corrective only? (1)

Amy Kay (2970977) | about a year ago | (#44170083)

"Anonymous Coward" is now Amy Kay. :)

Re:Any reason these have to be corrective only? (1)

Mal-2 (675116) | about a year ago | (#44182249)

I think these will have a limited but important role in certain fields. Any occupation where you have to wear eye protection anyhow, and can use the magnifications, may be potentially assisted. Indoors, one can generally throw more light at the problem. Increasing lighting by a factor of four to account for two stops of loss is mostly a cooling problem, though it may be uncomfortable for anyone NOT wearing shaded goggles. With the touch of a button (which may or may not be attached to the eye protection itself), one could magnify the work area. I wouldn't be surprised if gem cutting and appraisal see this technology adopted pretty quickly.

Where these WON'T be so useful is outdoors in uncontrolled conditions, where you have little control over the light level, and the polarizing lenses are an extra piece of hardware you might not otherwise need (and the polarization is not always a good thing, it can make glare WORSE if it's rotated wrong). Even there, they may prove useful in certain niches -- it's not at all unusual to wear sunglasses at the beach, and nobody would see the contacts behind them. Still, the worst someone can do with them is gawk from a distance, since they aren't cameras. They can ALREADY be long-distance lechers, this just makes it less obvious.

mod do3n (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44157415)

or misleaD the

Want (1)

Chewbacon (797801) | about a year ago | (#44158711)

I'll be a guinea pig.

AMD Explained (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#44169809)

AMD is a vision loss related condition. AMD is short for Age-related Macular Degeneration, and it is one of the main and a non preventable cause of vision loss and legal blindness in Americans (and others) over the age of 65. There may even be a hereditary factor to it, doctors still aren't 100% sure.

The macula is the part of the eye which is responsible for our close up, straight ahead, central, detailed vision..... for us to see 20/20 if possible. This is what we use for reading, seeing what we write, driving, recognizing ppl's faces..... anything you would do looking straight at something!

There are two forms of AMD: Wet AMD, which is a more aggressive form whereby blood vessels around the macula begin to leak causing sudden vision distortion, most common symptom is that straight lines, like door jams and telephone poles will appear 'squiggly'. This is an emergency situation, where if the Ophthalmologist can cauterize the leaking vessels quickly enough, the eye can sometimes flush the leaking, vision-disrupting blood away, restoring some better central vision over time. However, the bleeders generally continue to occur and only so much can be done to stop the bleeding w out creating scarring which also creates vision loss. The other form, Dry AMD, progresses a lot more slowly, though can turn into Wet AMD at any time.

As the macula degenerates over time as people age, the result is that the center of our visual field becomes blurry or even a blank, black area. For a pictoral example, see here; http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/examples/armd.jpg .

Typically, if you can magnify something enough for someone with AMD, they can see some of the details. I explain that central vision loss (called a scotoma) like this: Put a silver dollar coin on a newspaper article, somewhere within the text. That coin will block out a few lines of text and a number of letters/words. If you put a smaller coin, say a dime, over that same exact spot, a smaller area will be blocked, with less lines and letters missing. There are electronic devices which can provide enough magnification for most ppl w ARM to be able to read the newspaper, until their eye condition becomes too far advanced. There is no cure for AMD, only treatments to arrest the bleeding in Wet ARM. However, the electronic devices currently available are, by and large, heavy and not portable. There are portable devices, but they do not provide as much magnification as their screen size does not allow for as much magnification and letter size due to the smaller screen size. (For example, a non-portable 21 inch screen size vs a portable screen size of 6-8 inches diagonally.)

So, it appears that the goal of this telescopic device is to provide that amount of magnification by having it placed within the eye itself. It will be fascinating to see if this device works as it is hoped it will and of course if it is even within the means of the average senior citizen with ARM today.

(Oh, and for those who are wondering, NO, conventional glasses or regular contact lenses will NOT help correct or improve vision for people with ARM.)

Not sure why I'm stated as posting as "Anonymous Coward"..... but, I'm neither anonymous nor a coward.

Hope this was helpful to those interested......

Amy K. Brown, MS, CLVT, CVRT
-Masters in Vision Rehabilitation
-Certified Low Vision Therapist
-Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist

AMD Explained (1)

Amy Kay (2970977) | about a year ago | (#44170615)

AMD is the abbreviation for Age-related Macular Degeneration, and it is one of the main causes of vision loss in first world countries among people age 65 and older. At this point there is no cure for AMD, and doctors still aren't completely sure what causes it.  Perhaps, since we are living longer than generations before us did, our macula, which is responsible for straight-ahead, central, 20/20 detailed vision, is simply degenerating.  Maybe before they were able to recognize and name this disease, it was something like this:  "Grandma is really getting up in age (say 66 year old, when most ppl died around 60 years of age on average) and has now gone blind".   Anyone ever hear that said about older and prior generation family members?  There's a good chance that "Grandma" had AMD, there just wasn't a name for it yet.... besides "old age".

Some doctors now believe that there may be a genetic component to AMD as well, as it seems to run in families.  Siblings may get AMD, and perhaps one of their parents had it too (or most likely did).  Unfortunately there is currently no cure for AMD, only some treatment to arrest the progression of the disease and rehabilitation therapy skills and devices to teach patients how to "work around" and "live" with AMD, while still maintaining as much as the same quality of life before the vision loss.

Though the term "blind" is often used, generally, people who get AMD do not go completely blind (unless they have some other accompanying eye disease, such as glaucoma.  Because AMD mainly affects the central 20 degrees or so of vision (which is the vision we use for reading, writing, driving, recognizing someone's facial features....) they will still have use of their peripheral vision.  AMD can and often does result in legal blindness (only being able to see the "big E" on the standard Snellen eye chart, (if even that), and nothing smaller on the chart when sitting 20 feet away from it in a well lit area.

AMD can NOT be corrected with conventional eyeglasses or conventional contact lenses, as it is the degeneration or breaking down of a vital part of the retinal nerve which enables us to see centrally.  The vision loss caused by AMD creates a blurry or even dark spot in the middle of your vision.  For instance, if someone comes to the door and a person with AMD goes to answer the door, they may look at the person's face to see who it is, but not be able to make out the facial features enough or at all so as to identify who is standing at their door.  To see an example of what someone with AMD might see when looking at a picture of two boys holding a soccer ball and a basket ball, go here:  http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/examples/armd.jpg.

There are two types of AMD: Wet AMD, which the macula (at the back center of the retina, which lines the inside of the eye and goes to the back of the eye to become the Optic Nerve) has blood vessels which begin to leak blood into the center of the eyeball, which contains a clear jelly like substance.  With blood leaking into that clear area, called the vitreous, it creates vision loss, and Wet AMD can occur suddenly and without warning.  Often times, a patient will wake up and find that straight lines (like the door jam, or a telephone pole) appear to be "squiggly" as they see it.  That is a main indicator that there is now bleeding into the eye and it is an emergency situation.  If the patient can get into the Ophthalmologist right away, often the doctor can cauterize the bleeding vessels, thereby stopping the bleeding.  In time the eye may be able to flush the blood out of the vitreous area, thereby clearing up the vision.

The slower, generally less aggressive form of AMD is called Dry AMD.  This is the macula breaking down, and being reduced in its ability to see clearly.  Often however, Dry AMD can suddenly become Wet AMD, so doctors will often have an AMD patient look at an amsler grid daily to ensure that they can see the dot on the grid and that the grid lines are straight.

(For a picture of an amsler grid, go here:  http://www.enhancedvision.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/amsler.jpg).

If the lines do not appear straight or appear to be bending in towards the center dot, or the center dot, which is what the person's focus is to be on, is not seen, then likely Wet AMD has occurred and it is an emergency situation.

Perhaps the easiest way to explain the effect of AMD on a person's vision is to give an example.  Because a patient's central vision is affected, they likely will have difficulty reading, because they have that central "blurry" or "blind" spot, which is called a scotoma.  Scotomas can vary in shape and size, depending on the extent of the damage to the macula.   Without a cure, patients can only learn skills and utilize special magnifying equipment to read with the AMD scotoma.

Here's an example:  Place a silver dollar (or quarter) on part of a newspaper article.  That coin will likely block the viewing of parts of a few lines of the article and several letters in a few words.  The coin is representative of a scotoma.    Now, place a smaller coin, say a dime, on that exact same spot of newsprint.  Less lines and less of the lines/words are covered by the dime.  One may even be able to figure out (using context clues and what they can see around the dime's area) what is written on the newspaper under the dime.   The dime represents magnification.   If the print can be magnified so that it is larger than the person's scotoma caused by AMD, that person can likely read the text.    Currently there are hand held magnifiers that work well for some people with AMD so they can read "regular print" and there are also electronic devices which can magnify the text 36 times or even larger, thereby having their scotoma (like the dime) block out only a small portion of a letter, which the brain can automatically complete what that letter looks like, even with the missing area.    Unfortunately, the main electronic magnification devices, called Closed Circuit Televisions, or CCTVs,  are NOT portable.   There are some portable CCTVs on the market, but they may not be able to provide enough magnification for some people, as, due to their portability, their screen is rather small, thus limiting how big the print they wish to read can be made.  Size does matter in this case!  The non portable CCTVs can have a 21 inch (diagonally measured) or greater screen size (which is why they are not portable, not to mention the need for an electrical outlet and the sheer weight of the device), whereas the portable "CCTVs" may only have a screen size of 6 to 8 inches diagonally.

To view an example of a CCTV and of a portable CCTV go here:

(Note there are various manufacturers of CCTVs with different names and features.  The link is just to one of them as an example, not an endorsement of any particular device over another.)

So, the idea of having telescopic contact lenses with switchable magnification amounts sounds wonderful, in theory.  While I'm not sure even the developer has worked out all the details of how such a contact lens would work, my guess is that to have different magnification amounts, a person would have to have a different contact lens to utilize based on the magnification level desired and the focal length, or distance from what they are looking at at which the item is in clear focus.  To have one (or one set of) contact lens that can vary in magnification amounts say even from 4x to 8x sounds amazing (and un-doable) to me.

But, with a better understanding of the disease of AMD and the way to live and function as independently with AMD, one can see the draw to a telescopic varied magnification level contact lens!!  No handheld magnifiers to remember to bring with you to read a restaurant menu, no monocular telescope or binocular hanging around your neck for clearer distance viewing, and no aesthetic issues, such as feeling like others are staring at you (and they probably are!) because you are using some kind of device to read something that most other people can read.  Not to mention, extreme portability!!  What a wonderful thing!!  I hope the developer is able to create such a contact lens and that they are not cost prohibitive to our ever-growing senior citizen population with AMD!!

I hope some of you have found this information to be helpful...

Amy K. Brown   MS, CLVT, CVRT
Masters of Vision Rehabilitation
Certified Low Vision Therapist
Certified Vision Rehabilit

Re:AMD Explained (1)

Amy Kay (2970977) | about a year ago | (#44170645)

Sorry, the last line of my text didn't post....

Amy K. Brown   MS, CLVT, CVRT