The Venus Transit and Hunting For Alien Worlds

Soulskill posted more than 2 years ago | from the pretty-pictures-and-awesome-science dept.

Space 41

astroengine writes "Forget simply detecting a slight 'dip' in brightness as an exoplanet transits in front of its star; soon we'll be able to image the event. What's more, by doing this we'll see that exoplanetary transits look exactly like the historic Venus transit that wowed the world on Tuesday. This is according to astronomer Gerard van Belle, of Lowell Observatory near Flagstaff, Ariz., who hopes to use an interferometer to carry out the mind-blowing goal of capturing the silhouettes of exoplanets drifting in front of distant stars. But that's not all: this whole effort may help us track down the first bona fide Earth-like alien world." In case you missed it, NASA posted a bunch of great footage and pictures of the Venus transit, as did Boston.com's The Big Picture. Phil Plait pointed out a cool shot from Thierry Legault of a transit during a transit.

That thing was blocking my reading light (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40269469)

We shoulda blown it outta the sky before they invade anyway.

Ohhhhh...! Too good, too good! (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40269483)

Nearly four months ago, I noticed that my internet connection was very sluggish. Eventually getting fed up with it, I began to seek out software that would speed up the gigabits in my router. After an hour of searching, I found what at first appeared to be a very promising piece of software. Not only did it claim it would speed up my internet connection, but that it would overclock my power supply, speed up my gigabits, and remove any viruses from my computer! "This is a fantastic opportunity that I simply can't pass up," I thought. I immediately downloaded the software and began the installation, all the while laughing like a small child. I was highly anticipating a future where the speed of my internet connection would leave everyone else's in the dust.

I was horribly, horribly naive. Immediately upon the completion of the software's installation, various messages popped up on my screen about how I needed to buy software to remove a virus that I wasn't aware I had from a software company I'd never once heard of. The strange software also blocked me from doing anything except buying the software it was advertising. Being that I was a computer whiz (I had taken a computer essentials class in high school that taught me how to use Microsoft Office, and was quite adept at accessing my Facebook account), I was immediately able to conclude that the software I'd downloaded was, in fact, a virus, and that it was slowing down my gigabits at an exponential rate. "I can't let this insanity proceed any further," I thought.

As I was often called a computer genius, I was confident at the time that I could get rid of the virus with my own two hands. I tried numerous things: restarting the computer, pressing random keys on the keyboard, throwing the mouse across the room, and even flipping an orange switch on the back of the tower and turning the computer back on. My efforts were all in vain; the virus persisted, and my gigabits were running slower than ever! "This cannot be! What is this!? I've never once seen such a vicious virus in my entire life!" I was dumbfounded that I, a computer genius, was unable to remove the virus using the methods I described. Upon coming to terms with my failure, I decided to take my computer to a PC repair shop for repair.

I drove to a nearby computer repair shop and entered the building with my computer in hand. The inside of the building was quite large, neat, and organized, and the employees all seemed very kind and knowledgeable. They laughed upon hearing my embarrassing story, and told me that they saw this kind of thing on a daily basis. They then accepted the job, and told me that in the worst case, it'd be fixed in three days from now. I left with a smile, and felt confident in my decision to leave the computer repairs to the experts.

A week later, they still hadn't called back. Visibly angry, I tried calling them countless times, but not a single time did they answer the phone. Their negligence and irresponsibility infuriated me, and sent me into a state of insanity that caused me to punch a gigantic hole in the wall. Being that I would require my computer for work soon, I decided to head over to the computer repair shop to find out exactly what the problem was.

Upon entering the building, I was shocked by the state of its interior; it looked as if a tornado had tore through the entire building! Countless broken computers were scattered all about the floor, desks were flipped over, the walls had holes in them, there was a puddle of blood on the floor, and worst of all, I saw that my computer was sitting in the middle of the room laying on its side! Absolutely unforgivable! I soon noticed one of the employees sitting behind one of the tipped over desks (the one that had previously had the cash register on top of it); he was shaking uncontrollably and sobbing. Despite being furious about my computer being tipped over, seeing him in that state still managed to make me less unforgiving. I decided to ask him what happened.

A few moments passed where the entire room was silent and nothing was said. Eventually, he pointed at my computer and said to me, "The virus... it cannot be stopped! Cannot be stopped! Cannot be stopped!" Realizing that he was trying to tell me that they were unable to repair my computer (the task I'd given them), I flew into a blind fury and beat him senseless. Not caring about what would happen to him any longer, I collected my computer, ignored the bodies of the two other employees that had committed suicide, and left the building. After a few moments of pondering about what to do and clearing my head, I theorized that their failure to repair my computer probably simply meant that they were unqualified to do the job, and decided to take my computer to another computer repair shop.

I repeated that same process about four times before finally giving up. Each time I took it to a PC repair shop, the result was the same: all the employees either went completely insane, or they committed suicide. Not a single person was able to even do so much as damage the virus. I was able to talk some sense into one of the employees that had gone mad and got them to tell me how they were attempting to fix the problem. They told me that they tried everything from reinstalling the operating system to installing another operating system and trying to get rid of the virus on the other one, but absolutely all of it was to no avail. Having seen numerous attempts by professionals to remove the virus end in failure, I managed to delude myself into believing that my first failure was simply a fluke and that I was the only one on the planet qualified to fix the computer. With renewed vigor, I once again took up the frighteningly dangerous task of defeating the evil, nightmarish virus once and for all with my own two hands.

In my attempts to fix the problem, I'd even resorted to buying another computer. However, the virus used its WiFi capabilities to hack into the gigabits of my new computer and infect it. Following each failed attempt, I grew more and more depressed. I had already beaten my wife and children five times in order to relieve some of my stress, but even that (which had become my only pleasure after failing to remove the virus the first time), did nothing for me any longer. That's right: my last remaining pleasure in life had stopped being able to improve my mood, and I had not a single thing left that I cared about. I sank into a bottomless ocean of depression, barricaded myself in my room, and cried myself to sleep for days on end. Overcome with insanity, vengefulness, and despair, there is not a single doubt that if this had continued for much longer, I would have committed suicide.

One day, it suddenly happened: while I was right in the middle of habitually crying myself to sleep in the middle of the day, I heard a thunderous roar outside, followed by the sound of a large number of people screaming. When I peered outside my window to find out what all the commotion was about, the scene before me closely resembled that of a God descending from the heavens themselves! I gazed in awe at the godlike figure that was descending from the heavens, and so did the dozens of individuals that had gathered in my backyard. For a few moments, everyone was speechless. Then, they started shouting predictions about what they thought the figure was. "Is it a bird!?" "Is it a plane!?" But, despite not ever having seen it before, I knew just how inaccurate their predictions were, and began to speak the name of the heroic figure.

However, my sentence was cut off when, like a superhero coming to save the unfortunate victim from the evil villain, MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] flew into my house and began the eradication of the virus. MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] was able to completely eliminate in minutes the exact same virus that over ten PC repair professionals were unable to remove after weeks of strenuous attempts! Wow! Such a thing! I simply couldn't believe that MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] was so miraculously efficient that it was able to destroy the virus in less than 500 milliseconds! MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] totally, completely, and utterly saved me from a lifetime of despair!

My wife's response? "MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] is outstanding! My husband's computer is running faster than ever! MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] came through with flying colours where no one else could! MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] totally cleaned up my husband's system, and increased his speed! I highly, highly recommend that you use MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] !"

After witnessing just how wonderful MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] is, I insist that you use MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] when you need to fix all the gigabits on your computer! MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] will completely eradicate any viruses on your computer, speed up your internet connection, overclock your gigabits and speed, and give you some peace of mind! MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] is simply outstanding!

But even if you're not having any visible problems with your computer, it's highly likely that you're still in a situation where MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] could help you. MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] will get rid of any viruses or wireless interfaces that are hidden deep within your computer's bootloader. MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] will also speed up your computer to such a degree that it'll be even faster than when you first bought it! You must try MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] for yourself so that you can be overclocking your speed with the rest of us!

MyCleanPC: For a Cleaner, Safer PC. [mycleanpc.com]

When Hollywood gets it right (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40269497)

It made me wonder when I started to see pictures and video of the transit where I had seen something similar before. In Danny Boyles 'Sunshine', they have a CG scene of Mercury passing between them and the sun. It looks exactly like what we saw this week.

Maybe I am looking for another excuse to wear my tinfoil hat, but what happens if in order to get attention companies like NASA start simply releasing artistic impression as real ones? 50s through 80's saw drawings and artistic work used to help us gain a prospective of Science. Now it can fool us into thinking things exist.

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (2)

YrWrstNtmr (564987) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269537)

Because NASA can't fake it. You could have seen the same in your backyard (clouds permitting) with $10 in parts.

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (1, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40269575)

How do you know that NASA didn't just put a giant disc in space to block the Sun and look like Venus?

Teach the controversy! Venus is a myth!

Duh, NASA isn't really in space (1)

Overzeetop (214511) | more than 2 years ago | (#40270789)

They've never been in space. It was a domestic spy drone. It's just another one of the Obamalist coverups, wrapped in a NASA conspiracy.

It's like you don't know anything. ;-)

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (0)

ColdWetDog (752185) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269861)

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I get the distinct impression that the Solar Dynamic Observatory (the satellite that took the neat pics) costs slightly more than $10.

Or did we devalue the dollar big time last week? I was only gone for a couple of days. Sheesh. Nobody ever tells me anything anymore....

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (1)

khallow (566160) | more than 2 years ago | (#40270785)

Point is that you could have seen the transit yourself, merely, by being out in the backyard with some very cheap gear. There is some valid concern that a satellite or instrument will "sex up" observations merely because there's no means to double-check the observation, but even in those cases, the technology generally isn't so out of reach that one can't replicate the observation with cheaper equipment some point in the future.

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (1)

ColdWetDog (752185) | more than 2 years ago | (#40270895)

Well, they certainly could have done that - and on some of the clips it looked like there was some wash through of the sun's surface through the Venus disk. But what exactly would be the point? It's not like they faked a moon landing or an Arquillian battle cruiser or something like that.

But, hey, if you guys want to wear your tinfoil, I'd be the last to complain. Whatever floats your boat.

Just stay grounded.

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (1)

khallow (566160) | more than 2 years ago | (#40271533)

But what exactly would be the point?

Continued funding for the instrument, obviously. I think here the temptation would be strongest, if the instrument wasn't working properly at the time.

Another example of this sort of suspicion is the Chinese Chang'e 1 mission, which was a lunar orbiter which imaged the Moon's surface in the late 00s. It was falsely accused of using copied images from the Clementine mission. But there's no doubt that there would have been considerable pressure on the group that was running the mission.

My view is that the temptation is there, but there's also a great risk of getting caught, especially with the paranoid and the delusional scrutinizing images from every mission.

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (2)

EdIII (1114411) | more than 2 years ago | (#40272031)

The pictures of the transit are meaningless to me. Well, to be more specific, whether or not they are fake makes no difference to me. All I can appreciate is the beauty of the pictures. They were quite beautiful too.

What cannot be faked is the science behind it. I'm sure there was valuable scientific data collected that is being pored over right now, and papers authored, and so on and so forth.

If they faked the pictures, it would stand to reason they are also faking the data. I would imagine some people much more skilled in astrophysics could pick up on that.

As far as I am concerned, the pictures visually depicted the transit to me and were stunning. Computer generated or not, they served their purpose.

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (1)

khallow (566160) | more than 2 years ago | (#40272305)

What cannot be faked is the science behind it.

Sure, it can. Fake the data and you've faked the science. What you are speaking of is a considerably elevated chance of getting caught. In that sense, sure I agree that it's unlikely that someone would try to fake the science. There's too much independent studies which might turn up contradictions with your claims. OTOH, it's going to be very hard to arrange another Venus transit (would require a spacecraft sent into the shadow of Venus since it's not happening to Earth anytime soon).

Re:When Hollywood gets it right (1)

EdIII (1114411) | more than 2 years ago | (#40272355)

considerably elevated chance of getting caught

You're right and that is what I meant.

NASA was not the only group of people looking with very sensitive instruments. I'm sure plenty of groups spent that day collecting data and if NASA came up with anything that deviated too strongly from everyone else it would be suspicious.

OTOH, it's going to be very hard to arrange another Venus transit

That does put a damper on reproducibility doesn't it? :)

Note to submitter (5, Insightful)

guttentag (313541) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269505)

If you have to use gimmicks like:
  • Starting your summary with "Forget... Soon we'll be able to..."
  • Using phrases like "wowed" and "mind-blowing"
  • Closing with "but that's not all"

It's generally a warning to readers that either there is no substance to what you're going to tell us, or we're about to hear the breathlessly-excited gossip of a 13-year old.

Try to stick to concisely telling us the facts, and let the story is be impressive on its own merits.

Re:Note to submitter (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40269547)

Yeah, seriously! This isn't exciting. Wake me when we can image some alien boobs, now that'll be worth a story!

Personally, I don't care how many she has, as long as it's am even number... And I'd prefer them to be bilaterally symmetrical, but radial symmetry would be okay, I guess. Just so long as there's boobies from space.

Re:Note to submitter (-1, Offtopic)

antonihome (2658485) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269663)

Re:Note to submitter (1)

arkane1234 (457605) | more than 2 years ago | (#40272511)

huh?

Re:Note to submitter (1)

rrohbeck (944847) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269797)

But that's not all: For just another $9.98 you can get your very own slashdot blurb! Order now, operators are standing by!

Re:Note to submitter (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40270893)

Not even mentioned in blurb or linked article was the handily relevant fact that Pluto was first seen at the same observatory, albeit a different telescope. How poor.
Thankfully a 437 meter effective optical aperture is not a 13 year old's girly gossip. Keep practicing, Mr. astroengine.

Re:Note to submitter (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40273283)

If you have to use gimmicks like:

You forgot to mention the gimmick of redundantly calling them "alien worlds". It's not Earth, so it's an alien world by definition. But re-iterating it makes people conjure up images of E.T. and gets more clicks.

I was talking to a friend of mine about the transi (4, Interesting)

tlambert (566799) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269783)

Moderately off topic...

My friend was very upset that she did not get to see it in person.

It seems a lot of newsspeak organizations were quoting "experts" that "there will be plenty of people with setups to view it", and that "the apparatus to view it is dead simple". But she didn't get to see it /directly/ because there were not sufficiently scientifically inclined people set up in her area to let her see it.

All it required a small amount of optics (binoculars), a mirror, and something to project the image onto. Getting to this point was beyond her, and it was beyond the people she worked with. It really drives home to me how disconnected science programs in schools are from cause/effect in reality.

It makes me wonder how much stuff that is "obvious" to us just doesn't filter down into the impact it makes on humans everyday lives.

This reminds me very much of a discussion I had with someone about "the theory of evolution" when I pointed out that dropping an object was a demonstration of "the theory of gravity". She was appalled that gravity was considered a theory from a scientific point of view -- "You mean you don't know how this stuff works?!?"; I had to explain that yes, we knew *how* it worked, we just didn't know *why* -- the same as evolution.

The idea that people can do science (maybe Science, with a capitol 'S'?) with stuff they have lying around their house is probably not emphasized enough; it made me want to become a science teacher, but of course I'm not qualified, only being a physicist and a computer scientist, and not havig a degree in education, or being a member of a teachers union.

Makes me worry about the future more than I already do.

-- Terry

Re:I was talking to a friend of mine about the tra (3, Interesting)

Cazekiel (1417893) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269889)

I was reading an article when the solar eclipse was coming about and the upcoming Venus event on yahoo. I was astounded and dismayed to see the comments below, with so many people asking, "Can someone reply to me and tell me about this? I'm too lazy to read the article." I normally either ignore idiotic comments or try to make reasonable discussion, but in these cases, I replied somewhere along the lines, "Fuck off, read it yourself."

I mean, to think--it's not as if the article was riffed from a super-scientific study that required a master's in science and astronomy to make sense of it. It's one thing if someone DOES read it and wants further information, but to have someone act like they can't be bothered but find it cool anyway but can't be bothered... it actually makes me angry, because you just know how many of them would eat up a stupid report about 'Jersey Shore' without asking for internet Cliff Notes. Maybe I'm just an astronomy snob (I had a coworker say "it's the same thing, really," when I pointed out that astronomy and astrology were NOT the same thing; I gritted my teeth about it all day), but if you want to discover something cool, sometimes you gotta read a few paragraphs. /end rant

Re:I was talking to a friend of mine about the tra (1)

ColdWetDog (752185) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269923)

Makes me worry about the future more than I already do.

""Cheer up, Flicka. Always remember that, when things seem darkest, they usually get considerably worse."

Heinlein "Podkayne of Mars", 1953. In a quote that is one of the earliest written references [technovelgy.com] to a cell phone. How's that for going off topic?

Re:I was talking to a friend of mine about the tra (2)

I_am_Jack (1116205) | more than 2 years ago | (#40270429)

The idea that people can do science (maybe Science, with a capitol 'S'?) with stuff they have lying around their house is probably not emphasized enough; it made me want to become a science teacher, but of course I'm not qualified, only being a physicist and a computer scientist, and not having a degree in education, or being a member of a teachers union.

As entrenched and parochial as the university academic establishment is these days, being a secondary school instructor should seem like a breath of fresh air. Unless you've got an assistant/associate professor's gig at a medium to large university, the pay would be about the same, and there are usually more science teachers needed than research associates. Not to mention the lives you could change, even if you just made a fraction of each graduating class learn to love science more.

Re:I was talking to a friend of mine about the tra (1)

Occams (2422082) | more than 2 years ago | (#40278989)

Whats the big deal? Planits are transiting the sun every day: we are just not in the right place to see them, The usefulness of this event ended 200 years ago. Get over it.

It it NOT an invitation (1)

Overzeetop (214511) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269837)

Don't let some goofy scientist tell you otherwise.

Resolution (3, Informative)

hackertourist (2202674) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269859)

From TFA:

We're not just trying to take pictures of stars and see them as disks -- which is something we can do

That was new to me, so I did some digging. The Hubble was the first telescope to do this, in 1996 [hubblesite.org] . It's quite incredible that we can now do this.

Annoyingly, searching Google for 'image disk star' gives loads of false positives (protoplanetary disks).

Re:Resolution (1)

arobatino (46791) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269947)

Although not a direct image, Betelgeuse [wikipedia.org] was also the first star (other than the Sun) to have its angular diameter measured by interferometry, in 1920.

Re:Resolution (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40270955)

You're looking for "Interferometric Imaging" and it is a very new field, so not many pictures exist yet. Most simply indicate apparent brightness differences on the star surface.
Hold on to yer pants, this is gonna be a wild ride for sure! :D
Here you go: http://www.astro.psu.edu/people/mxz20/rapdi_rotator_lineup.png/view

2012 (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40269869)

There was an intergalactic alignment and so the world just ended!

Hubble-Bubble (3, Insightful)

Cazekiel (1417893) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269927)

The last link is just awesomesauce. That is all.

Re:Hubble-Bubble (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40273275)

The last link is just awesomesauce. That is all.

His ISS capture during an eclipse [discovermagazine.com] also!

What the Transit of Venus tells us (2)

rossdee (243626) | more than 2 years ago | (#40269951)

Using the 'wait until a planet crosses between us and the star it is orbitting" is not a particularly effective way of finding other planets
Unless we are in the same plane as the system, we are not going to find anything, and even then its not going to happen very often.

Re:What the Transit of Venus tells us (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40270329)

And the other methods we have to locate such planets are so much more accurate..........?

Re:What the Transit of Venus tells us (3, Insightful)

IDarkISwordI (811835) | more than 2 years ago | (#40271193)

And yet Kepler has already recorded hundreds of planets, more than ever before observed, using this exact method.

Yeah, I think the dip in brightness thing is BS (1)

axlr8or (889713) | more than 2 years ago | (#40270835)

Whats the difference between a planet passing in front of it's star or Colossus flicking a bugar? Please the time spans with a cyclical analysis sounds to intensive.

Re:Yeah, I think the dip in brightness thing is BS (1)

arkane1234 (457605) | more than 2 years ago | (#40272527)

What?
first, one is real and the other is something you made up...
second, we don't get to see venus close to us very often so that's why it's talked about.

I'm thinking you're just trolling, but I figure I'll at least let you talk before we drop the floorboard.

Re:Yeah, I think the dip in brightness thing is BS (1)

axlr8or (889713) | more than 2 years ago | (#40279149)

OOoh. Very spicy U r. Trolling.? Hmm. No not really. I was in fact, referring to the imaging from great distances. At those distances just about anything could come between a star and a telescope. An asteroid, sputnik, dead aliens, the Prometheus. I'm not an expert on light. You sound like you are. Please provide your credentials and expound.

Re:Yeah, I think the dip in brightness thing is BS (1)

Maritz (1829006) | more than 2 years ago | (#40306493)

Space is a lot emptier than the picture you seem to have in your head.

Amazing pictures (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40272359)

and I have a picture of a car moving past my house.

Yet another case of the Slashdot summary (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#40272965)

image the event

Wrong.

capturing the silhouettes of exoplanets drifting in front of distant stars

Wrong. RTFA before posting a summary, please.