Researchers Create Living Human Gut-On-a-Chip

timothy posted more than 2 years ago | from the waiting-for-the-snl-sketch dept.

Biotech 22

cylonlover writes "In an effort to provide a more accurate alternative to conventional cell culture and animal models, researchers at the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University have developed a microdevice that mimics the structure, physiology, and mechanics of the human intestine. The so-called 'gut-on-a-chip' could help provide new insights into intestinal disorders and be used to evaluate the safety and efficacy of potential treatments."

Ohhhh... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#39507779)

Ohhhhh... If you keep licking it like that... Uuuuuu... Haaaaaa... I'm at my limit!

Welcome (1)

Sparrow1492 (1962256) | more than 2 years ago | (#39507793)

I for one would like to welcome our new cyborg intestine ovelords.

Re:Welcome (1)

rgbatduke (1231380) | more than 2 years ago | (#39507989)

And first post too! Impressive!

Re:Welcome (1)

ae1294 (1547521) | more than 2 years ago | (#39512905)

And first post too! Impressive!

Good, good... Your NerdRage has made you strong! Now strike him down and take your rightful place beside me young Sky-walker! Together we shall rule the meme's and crush all who troll before us.

Pfffffffrrrt (2)

Nursie (632944) | more than 2 years ago | (#39507899)

This is just the latest iteration of the high-tech fart joke, isn't it?

Re:Pfffffffrrrt (1)

houstonbofh (602064) | more than 2 years ago | (#39509423)

My first though was a 7 layer dip I had a while back that raced through my system like a teenager in the parking lot after "Fast 5."

Next... (1)

c0lo (1497653) | more than 2 years ago | (#39507919)

... the "e.coli-on-a-chip"... can't have a good gut model without the symbiotic gut flora [wikipedia.org] , can they?

Re:Next... (1)

ae1294 (1547521) | more than 2 years ago | (#39512953)

What I want to know is what would happen if I eat these chips? Would I have many smaller guts inside my gut? What sort of power would that bestow?

Re:Next... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#39514911)

What I want to know is what would happen if I eat these chips?

You grow fat... maybe develop type-2 diabetes.

Let me know when they full-scale versions.. (1)

dexotaku (1136235) | more than 2 years ago | (#39508101)

Let me know when they've got a full-scale version. Replacing my digestive tract [or parts of it] with one[s] that actually work[s] would be nice. =B

Re:Let me know when they full-scale versions.. (1)

Vernes (720223) | more than 2 years ago | (#39508275)

I for one would welcome a modular digestive system.
Celiac disease, Crohn's disease are just 2 of many afflictions where science still have to find a real solution for.
Just replacing a gut would be awesome, tailor made to be ignored by your immune system.

That's nothing (4, Funny)

Oswald McWeany (2428506) | more than 2 years ago | (#39508103)

They built a gut on a chip? That's nothing... I built my gut on chips back in the 90's.

The real challenge was laying off the chips to make the gut shrink again.

Re:That's nothing (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#39513857)

in re: laying off that bag of chips. What you could do instead of paying $3 for a "family size" bag of chips and then snarfing it while watching the big bang theory, is pay $3 for a bag of salad mix--I buy the baby spinach one.

Yes, it's not as tasty as the chips, but you really only eat the first 2 ounces of chips for the flavor, and the other 28 ounces out of boredom or inertia.

Or instead of paying $3 for a bag of chips you can pay $3 for a bag of salad mix and throw it away. Let's be realistic, you're not going to eat the salad anyway.

Virus? (1)

aglider (2435074) | more than 2 years ago | (#39508149)

Can this device catch any ... virus? I think so, even if of a different type!

Re:Virus? (1)

Oswald McWeany (2428506) | more than 2 years ago | (#39508163)

It could probably catch a stomache bug.

Stop thinking here... and start thinking HERE. (3, Funny)

Sneftel (15416) | more than 2 years ago | (#39508241)

Forget "brain-on-a-chip" neural simulation FPGAs... The new hotness is "gut feeling"-based reasoning.

Microbiome research (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#39508829)

The Human microbiome project has shown us that we only had about 1% of the information when it comes gut bacteria bugs because 99% are not culturable. The cataloging of the majority is done by DNA analysis but we have no idea for the most part how they interact with each other and with the host.
Hopefully this will give more insight into the human microbiome in action, the bugs in the gut and their composition govern everything in the human body, from the assimilation of nutrients to immunity and they have been ignored for a long long time until some recent proof of concept studies http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111031114945.htm .

SECURITY ALERT! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#39509357)

Gut on a chip has a backdoor. Buffer overload the colon...

This just emulates that old saying... (1)

cvtan (752695) | more than 2 years ago | (#39512043)

GIGO

Sony guts. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#39512125)

Zohan for the win!!!

Wow (2)

ThatsNotPudding (1045640) | more than 2 years ago | (#39512455)

No shit?
No, seriously; is there any?

The real use for this technology (1)

MrBippers (1091791) | more than 2 years ago | (#39513045)

Summary and TFA seem to skim over the main area where this technology will likely see application--in looking at drug permeability and transport across the intestinal membrane. This is something that gets examined for EVERY orally administered drug and right now this is done primarily with cell culture monolayers of intestinal cells. This model allows for the addition of peristaltic forces and other stressors to give a more physiologically relevant system.