Tattoo To Monitor Diabetes

timothy posted about 12 years ago | from the nano-culture dept.

Science 202

infonography notes that the "BBC is reporting about using tattoos to monitor the state of a diabetics' health. While TV's the Invisible Man series had this, this is actually real. Designed by Gerard Cote, of Texas A&M University they are made of polyethylene glycol beads that are coated with fluorescent molecules. Likely this will start to change the attitudes of parents who have been resisting the urging of their kids to get Tattoos."

hmm is this slashdot news? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186436)

Remember ppl sitting on your ass all day can give you diabetes :/

Re:hmm is this slashdot news? (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186494)

Type 1 Diabetes has no link to activity, fitness or diet. In fact, Olympic Swimmer Gary Hall, Jr. developed it a few years back. Type 1 also hits most of its victims early in life, making it a longer term disease. It's also more serious, because unlike most type 2 diabetes, a type 1 does not produce any insulin and MUST take it in order to continue living. A type 2 can go for years without proper treatment, a type 1 can go a day or two (if they're lucky).

Re:hmm is this slashdot news? (1)

huh12312 (605811) | about 12 years ago | (#4186849)

Darn...I mean great now I have a reason to get a tattoo

First Post. (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186438)

Finally I Win the game of Life

Tatoos. oooh, sounds kinky!

This should really be a great thing (1, Insightful)

Slashdotess (605550) | about 12 years ago | (#4186447)

My father has diabetes and I don't want to get it myself, I hope with the new generation of genetic research we'll have more of these stories on slashdot.

Re:This should really be a great thing (0)

djupedal (584558) | about 12 years ago | (#4186965)

The 'story' isn't on /.
It's on the BBC, and if you spend your time wishing and waiting for this or any other news to show up on /., you risk dissapointment.

Re:This should really be a great thing (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186984)

> I hope with the new generation of genetic research we'll have more of these stories on slashdot.

You FUCKING IDIOT! What "new generation of genetic research" are you talking about?

I'm TIRED of "science" stories on Slashdot! STOP IT! When I want general news on the medical sciences I read sites and journals like Nature, NEJM, JAMA, The Lancet, PNAC and so on, or more specialised journals for my specific fields of interest and research.

Shit like this is like reading "harddrives are expected to have greater storage capacities this year" or "a computer doing simple trigonometrical calculations no longer needs to occupy a whole building" in a medical/biochemical journal/newssite. It's not news. It's not news for nerds.

About Lingam Gnosis (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186448)

Lingam gnosis is based on the belief that all penises fall into one of four broad essential categories, or types fire, air, earth and water. Most commonly, however, penises are a combination of two or more of these types.

The Earth Penis
Earth penises are relatively easy to identify as they resemble tuberous vegetables yams, potatoes, turnips etc. Those thick, starchy roots that grow best when buried deep in dark, damp soil. Earth penises are generally large, often irregularly shaped, and darkly pigmented. The testicles that accompany the earth penis are likely to be large, hairy and pendulous. The earth penis is homely and supremely functional, it likes to plant and plow, and itís likely to belong to the top in any relationship. Earth penises typically correspond with meat and potatoes sexual tastes. If your man has an earth penis don't expect anything too outragous. He might like it rough, but he'll always keep it simple-like himself. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, if he's carrying one of these brutes in his Calvins, chances are he aint too bright.

The Air Penis
Air penises are generally long, slim and pale, with neat, globular, lightly pigmented testicles, carried high and tight. The most aesthetically pleasing of the types, the air penis is an artistic penis, and their owners are often artistic. It is common for an air penis to have a bend or a dip in its length, and just as this penis is often not quite straight, the owner of an air type penis is the most likely of all the types to have bisexual tendencies. If your lover has an air penis, commitment could be an issue air penises are notoriously unfaithful and fickle. However, once captured, air penis types make the most intelligent and imaginative sexual partners.

The Fire Penis
Fire is the most masculine of the elements, and a fire penis always correlates with an aggressive, assertive, controlling nature. A typical fire penis is thick, straight, symmetrical and smooth, though not especially long. The defining characteristic of the fire penis, however, is its color bright red, through to an intense hot pink. Men with a fire penis in their pants have a burning sexuality and charisma to burn, too. There are always plenty of moths dying to dance around this flame! But before you singe your wings, remember: sex with the owner of a fire penis can be hot as hell, but life with one is usually just plain hell, so if your intended unzips one of these crimson lollipops, zip it up quick and move on.

The Water Penis
Water is the most feminine of the elements, and, accordingly, water type penises are often small, soft and feminine in appearance. Owners of water penises are generally nurturers in their relationships; they will cook, clean, iron and give it up with an almost touching if it wasnít so fucking irritating sense of duty. Occasionally, this taking on of the motherly role can lead them to assume the balance of power within a relationship for the other partner this is both claustrophobic and scary, particularly when they find themselves fucking them and enjoying it! Water penis owners are often very highly sexed organisms, especially when alcohol is added. For a water penis, a couple of G&Ts is a never-fail legs-opener.

This +1 Informative post has been brought to you by SweetAndSourJesus

Re: About Lingam Gnosis (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186625)

I work with Tim Follows, the guy who played Ponyboy on the short-lived "Outsiders" TV series from the mid-80s.

He's just a normal guy, although he looks vaguely familiar in the way that former sub-celebrities tend to.

Once in a while one of the temps or a new person will start asking him lots of questions about being on a TV series and the whole actor's life. He always let's them down easy: "That was a long time ago. It seems like another life".

Once in the breakroom he said to me: "You know, plants get their carbon from carbon dioxide. That means every tree was once pure air. Think about that shit."

Sometimes I like to think Tim Follows can levitate.

Throd pist (-1)

Asdfghanistan (590625) | about 12 years ago | (#4186449)

sux0r

You know, it's a strange feeling.. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186453)

.. to see Microsoft ads on /.

VS.NET [doubleclick.net]

Never fails to surprise me. It's like Osama buying ad slots in between president's speeches.

How, exactly...? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186454)

is a small, tuxedo'ed midget going to help me with my diabetes? Administering insulin tests, or what?

hmmm (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186458)

does this mean that everyone with diabetes will have the same exact tattoo? sure, its a scientific breakthrough blah blah blah, but that would really suck.

all the easier (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186462)

to round them up?

For treatment, of course. ;)

Great (1)

URoRRuRRR (57117) | about 12 years ago | (#4186466)

Now the glow in the dark bleeding heart "Mom" tattoo will be a fad. Oh well. Better than "Winger"

Hrm, as a juvenile diabetic... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186467)

I don't have any tattoos... I don't particularly want any tattoos, but if it means no more finger pricking (which really sucks, and after a while makes your fingers look like a mess), I think I'd consider it. The cost of finger pricking is also quite expensive, as a box of 100 test strips can cost $50+ (and depending on what you follow, you may test up to 7 or 8 times a day).

My only real concern is that I hope they have some sort of long term treatment/cure worked out in a few years (Cloning, transplants, machines, etc) and I wouldn't really want this tattoo for life. I know some tattoos are easier to remove than others, and I'd want to know about this one. The tattoo really only addresses one issue anyway: the monitoring. The insulin injections would still be required in some form.

P.S. Don't get this disease. It sucks.

If there's a cure.... (-1, Troll)

SuicideTroll (604972) | about 12 years ago | (#4186528)

WHY not Take IT huH?

Have you ever thought how would my life has been changed if I didn't had diabetes?

WELL GET teh TATTOO AND Don'T COMPLAIN!111

Re:Hrm, as a juvenile diabetic... (2)

topham (32406) | about 12 years ago | (#4186607)

Perhaps the insulin injections could be changed to pill forms, etc, -if- the monitoring was more frequent (to the point of rediculous with the current tests).

Not saying it could or would, just thinking that a more active test could potentially lead to alternative treatments which are difficult, or useless in the current environment.

Wouldn't work (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186613)

The insulin would either get digested or not enter the blood stream in sufficient quantities.

Re:Wouldn't work (1)

woodja (28457) | about 12 years ago | (#4186824)

Wish I could mod up an AC post. But this is correct. The insulin would get broken down similar to protein. Insulin needs to be absorbed into the body . There is some talk of a nasal spray, but this causes a lot of unpleasant side affects and isn't very reliable. The same goes with insulin patches and other similar devices. Development is occuring, however, for some kind of artificial pacrease pouch that gets inserted under the skin every year and genetically produced cells that can produce insulin and be placed in the bloodstream.

It is nice to see that all the research money going into Diabetes is slowly showing some results. Hopefully they will all help make my life as well as millions of others with Diabetes better.

Re:Hrm, as a juvenile diabetic... (2)

Jacer (574383) | about 12 years ago | (#4186983)

I too am diabetic, or atleast I was from age 16 to 18. Some time in June of this year my pancreas started to produce insulin of it's own. While I know (as much as I may want it to be) this isn't permanent, I know that i wouldn't want a tattoo for life.

Handy... (5, Funny)

Richy_T (111409) | about 12 years ago | (#4186472)

Now when a diabetic goes hypo, the words "feed me sugar" can appear across their forehead.

Or, remembering a particularly traumatic experience when a friend went hypo, perhaps the words "fuck you" to save them the bother of saying them themselves (yes, I know a hypo diabetic is not in their right mind).

Rich

Re:Handy... (1)

Yorrike (322502) | about 12 years ago | (#4186526)

Other diabetics tell people to fuck off when they're hypoglycemic too? Sweet. I thought it was just me ; )

Re:Handy... (1)

woodja (28457) | about 12 years ago | (#4186795)

Ya, low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can do some pretty strange things to your mind. From what I've been told and observed, you become less 'human' and primal instincts kick in when your blood sugar goes low. Sometimes when I'm programming and I go low, I just start saying "shit, shit,..." to myself. You have trouble thinking so you just want to tell everyone off until you get enough carbs to get back to normal.

A continuous method of monitoring blood sugar levels could certainly help put an end to these low sugar sessions and could certainly save me from future embarrassing situations.

Re:Handy... (2)

stefanlasiewski (63134) | about 12 years ago | (#4186988)

Yes indeed.

My sister-in-law has passed out from low blood sugar several times in the last year. Before each episode, she said something akin to "Fuck off!".

Nowadays, when she says "Fuck off!" we force her to sit down and measure her blood sugar.

Of course, sometimes she has perfectly normal blood sugar, and has a perfectly legitimate reason to say "Fuck off!", and us saying "Are you feeling ok? Perhaps you should stick this sharp needle in your finger and experience some pain, just to alieve our fears" just makes her angrier...

But still, she completely passed out on me twice now, and each time we either had to force sugar into her convulsing, drooling mouth or stick a big needle into her quaking leg to counteract the effects of the insulin. It's scary...

Re:Handy... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186976)

great idea! where do i sign up?

Wha? (3, Funny)

Steve G Swine (49788) | about 12 years ago | (#4186483)

"Oh, c'mon, Mom, just get a tasteful little rose somewhere..."

Change attitudes? hardly (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4187000)

now that the tattoo IS what it always appeared to be... a circuit drawn on the body... i would think that people would flee from tattoo parlors. No, thank you, i wouldn't like to have some kind of circuit-implant drawn on my body, even if it is a tasteful little rose.

How long would this last? (5, Insightful)

ndnet (3243) | about 12 years ago | (#4186490)

This sounds like a great idea, and I know many people (my grandfather included) who would prefer this to the finger pricking fun on a regular basis. However, it does raise a couple of questions.

1) How long would it last? Since it ISN'T absorbed into the cells, how long could the fluorescent dye, if you will, stay in the "interstitial fluid"? Would you need a new tattoo every month? year?

2) How much will it cost? The method doesn't really sound that expensive, except for the watch-like device. But will HMOs pay for it? Medicare?

3) How reliable is it? There are some diabetics who are very sensitive to sugar differences. Howa accurate can this be? Does it compare favorably with strips?

Re:How long would this last? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186503)

If it's less than about $1500 a year, then it'd be cheaper than strips for me and my insurance company.

Re:How long would this last? (2)

Yorrike (322502) | about 12 years ago | (#4186534)

If I had to get a new tatoo every month, or even every week, it'd beat the hell out of ripping tiny little holes in the tips of my fingers.

Trust me on that one.

Likely? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186491)

"Likely this will start to change the attitudes of parents who have been resisting the urging of their kids to get Tattoos."

Score 1 - "Whaa?"

Sorry, I just have to wonder what part of his ass the poster pulled that out of.

I'd like Linux Tattooed on my butt! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186495)

Because that would be cool!!
Don't you think, guys? guys???

Barcode (1)

GigsVT (208848) | about 12 years ago | (#4186497)

And, as an added side feature, the barcode pattern of the tatoo can assist if your child is ever lost or stolen. Hand and forehead options available!

Gimme! (5, Informative)

mindriot (96208) | about 12 years ago | (#4186502)

If this is actually working, I'd happily volunteer to be the first to use it... I think the advantage is not that it's pain-free. I couldn't care less about pricking me in the finger. The real problems with conventional systems are

• You are dependent on an electronic device and test strips. You have to carry it with you at all times (or should at least), and I could move around much more freely if I did not need to take with me and look after my glucose tester.
  • The test strips have to be bought regularly (I use between three and five per day), and they're not exactly cheap. It's also a pain because, at least in Germany, I have to get a Doctor's prescription each and every time I need to buy new supplies. Some sort of subscription would really help here. I am diabetic, and I will be for probably the rest of my life, so why the need to get a stupid prescription all the time, instead of having some sort of token that entitles me to buy my medication whenever I need to?
  • Nothing could be of more help than a continuous measurement. That way, for example, I could immediately tell if my food had more carbs than I expected and I can react sooner.

Also, while devices for continuous measurement are out there, I don't expect them to be really comfortable, and I'd still depend on a device that I have to look after. So if this tattoo proves to be working, I'd be more than happy to use it.

Oh, and a question -- this polymer stuff reminds me of those materials used in modern hard-to-forge banknotes (see here [ecb.int] for instance), is that a similar material?

Re:Gimme! (2)

garcia (6573) | about 12 years ago | (#4186535)

they want you to have a prescription so that you have to constantly be checked by a Dr. in order to get your meds/items. That way you are forced to visit and pay up (at least in the US where we don't have nationalized healthcare).

I have to take prescription meds for high blood pressure, same thing. Every 6 months, check to see if the meds are working the way they should, and refill for 6 more months.

It's a pain in the ass.

Re:Gimme! (1)

peeping_Thomist (66678) | about 12 years ago | (#4186583)

Every 6 months, check to see if the meds are working the way they should, and refill for 6 more months. It's a pain in the ass.

Your doctor and your HMO don't make any money on these kinds of visits. They require them because if they didn't, you might develop more serious problems that would end up costing them a lot more money.

In the US, if the doctor and HMO want you to visit the doctor on a regular basis, it's because they think it will cost less in the long run. Otherwise, if you're healthy, they'd rather you never went to the doctor.

It sounds like you don't like the fact that you've got a serious, chronic medical problem, and as a result are at a higher risk than most people for developing other serious medical problems. Welcome to the club.

Re:Gimme! (2)

garcia (6573) | about 12 years ago | (#4186633)

Considering that it costs me $50 per visit, I don't see how it is helping me. I don't see the need for 6 month checkups when the prescription won't change for years, possibly decades.

Fuck the HMOs and the Dr.'s. I don't see why I should have to pay a dime for either my visit or my prescription. 60 pills should not cost $38. It just shouldn't.

I feel like I am buying Ecstacy.

Re:Gimme! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186781)

If you look around on the ground for strange colored pebbles and swallow those, it won't cost you nearly as much. Unfortunately it won't work, either. In the process of making medicine more effective we've also made it more expensive.

Anyway really, it could be worse. I take anti-rejection meds. A month of those is like $2500 to my insurance company (I end up paying something like $100 a month out-of-pocket for the whole regimen, and lots of people end up paying much more). May seem like a lot to you, but it's still the cheapest way to prevent me from being dead. Luckily for you there are a lot more people with high blood pressure than there are organ transplant patients, since the research cost is subsidized over many more people. (Lucky for me too, since I have to take blood pressure reducers in addition to my other drugs.)

I'd be ecstatic if I only had to see the doctor twice a year. Besides, you probably don't even know about all the health problems that high blood pressure tends to cause. If you went that decade without a checkup by a doctor, you might find yourself more like me.

Take your own opinions with a grain of salt.

Re:Gimme! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186919)

you are to take my opinions cum grano salis, not the other way around.

I know what HBP leads to. My grandmother had it, my father has it. Grandmother survived several heart attacks, my father (55) has survived one which killed a good portion of his muscle.

I think you should learn to think before you assume.

Re:Gimme! (1)

peeping_Thomist (66678) | about 12 years ago | (#4186868)

Considering that it costs me $50 per visit, I don't see how it is helping me.

You're in a high-risk group. Experience and simple economics have taught HMO's and doctors that monitoring high-risk patients more closely than low-risk patients pays off in the long run. Whether it "benefits" you is beside the point. If we wanted we could say that you are benefitted by being monitored more closely because of your higher risk factors, but from your perspective it might be preferable to go without monitoring and show up in the doctor's office only when you realize that something has gone wrong. But from the HMO and doctor's point of view, that is not a very cost-effective way of handling you.

It's too bad your office visits cost so much. Mine are $15. But it sounds like I have a lot more prescriptions than you.

Re:Gimme! (1)

Joe Tie. (567096) | about 12 years ago | (#4186899)

I think the reason it's done is because they decrease money that would be lost on the people who would not take their drugs correctly and get money from the people who don't need to see them.

Re:Gimme! (3, Interesting)

Yorrike (322502) | about 12 years ago | (#4186555)

The case here in New Zealand is you must get a prescription, but after that, the test strips are effectively free. I've been dreaming of a watch that'd constantly tell me my blood sugar since I was a boy.

Don't dispare, there's some interesting treatment in development here in New Zealand that's cured a few Type 1 diabetics (like me), by using pig isolete cells encased in polymer tubes that are implanted in the abdominal area.

Really great stuff, but New Zealand's government is full of crack pots who think that such implants could introduce a retro virus - so the recipiants of the implants have been in Mexico and the Cook Islands so far (they're actually curing people).

Re:Gimme! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186702)

They've cured diabetes in rats using a similar technique here in Canada. This tattoo thing is being used on rats too.

Geez, rats have some of the best healthcare in the world!

Re:Gimme! (2)

rodgerd (402) | about 12 years ago | (#4186737)

The government may be full of crackpots cross-species virial infections have happened before, and pigs are a good source.

Re:Gimme! (2)

x136 (513282) | about 12 years ago | (#4186573)

Heh, that's you. I hate it. I'd love a non-invasive testing method, continuously monitoring or not. (I know I'd test a lot more, too.)

The real problems with conventional systems are

Well, you'd still need some sort of device to translate the intensity of the glowing tattoo into a number. It'd still be a vast improvement, though. No more lancets, no more blood, and no more of those expensive test strips (IIRC, they're like US$50 for a box of 100 if your health plan doesn't cover the cost.)

Imagine the cool devices that could come out of this. Maybe a watch that constantly monitors the sugar level, and can be exported to a computer, maybe with software that analyzes the data and suggests changes in your insulin doses... Okay, I admit it. I'd be happy if it did nothing but make it unnecessary to do a finger stick test. :)

As has been said by many others so far, sign me the hell up.

Re:Gimme! (1)

Yorrike (322502) | about 12 years ago | (#4186588)

As has been said by many others so far, sign me the hell up.

Hell yeah, death to lancets and those Softclix bastards. Gimme ink!

I know it's likely to be nothing more than a dot of polymer, but if you could get a pattern, what would you get? I'd lean towards a tux tatoo - that'd be cool.

Re:Gimme! (2)

sconeu (64226) | about 12 years ago | (#4186699)

Plus in the paranoid post-9/11 US, you can get in trouble for carrying your kit on a plane. (Hasn't happened to me yet, but did to a friend).

On top of that, if I get this, I don't have that stupid Sharps container lying around, that I have to dispose of as hazmat waste!

Some possibilities for easier use (2)

Goonie (8651) | about 12 years ago | (#4186643)

What about tattooing a "reference chart" next to the actual sugar-sensitive tattoo as a rough guide, so that you could monitor major changes by just glancing at the tattoo? Maybe even arrange it so that certain segments glow as threshold levels are reached (kinda like a battery gauge type of thing)?

Or, even, tattoo it to your wrist and have a colour sensor in your watch that started bleeping if your sugar levels changed too much.

Caffeine (1)

Wiseazz (267052) | about 12 years ago | (#4186505)

Now all I need is a tattoo to tell me when I've had too much coffee...

Re:Caffeine (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186674)

Are you crazy? You can never have too much coffee!

Sounds cool, sign me up (5, Insightful)

jonabbey (2498) | about 12 years ago | (#4186511)

It sounds like there's a lot of details left to be worked out, but if something like this could serve as a continuous blood glucose diagnostic, I'm so there. Having been an insulin dependent diabetic for the last 13 years or so, a continuous blood glucose monitor has really been the most important missing piece to the whole puzzle.

Sampling my blood sugar once or twice a day is far too infrequent to get a sense of how my blood sugar rises and falls over time. Having a monitor that could record my blood sugar levels even every five minutes would be fantastic. Make it able to sample every five seconds and hook it up to an insulin pump, and you've got as close to a cybernetic cure as one could hope for.

Being an insulin-dependent diabetic is like driving a manual transmission car.. very workable, but you have to do a lot more work, and you have to know what the engine and gears are doing. If it's still too early for a cure, having a really good tachometer would be the next best thing.

And having an intelligent cyber-tattoo would be just too cyber-punky for words. Sign me up.

Re:Sounds cool, sign me up (1)

Inthewire (521207) | about 12 years ago | (#4186807)

...and we all know that any database can be fed through a graphing program and output to a webpage. Fuck webcams, I want streaming blood sugar monitors.

Just like Henry Rollins! (1, Flamebait)

cdtoad (14065) | about 12 years ago | (#4186521)

Yes! Now I can have a BIG ASS SEARCH & DESTROY tattoo on my back that pops up when I need to up my glooooocose. I'll be Punk Rock & Healthy!

Cool, but... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186522)

Does it run Linux?

What I need is.... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186530)

a tattoo for my wife that indicates she has a headache.

the marked (1)

skydude_20 (307538) | about 12 years ago | (#4186536)

great, now we'll have a culture of marked people and not-marked people. there will be social upheaval, there will be two powers in the world, that composed of only the marked and only of the not-marked. they will fight wars for generations across interstellar space.....

cool, when can I get mine?

Re:the marked (1)

Jack9 (11421) | about 12 years ago | (#4186554)

like the sneeches. except the stars are on the bellies of sneeches.

Royalties (1)

Jack9 (11421) | about 12 years ago | (#4186538)

So according to recent articles regarding anime power armor and military proposals, the script writer for "the invisible man" (or appropriate pre-Scifi channel individual to first think of it), are owed money because it was their idea?

Pain free? (1)

Tigris666 (197729) | about 12 years ago | (#4186543)

The article states that it would be great for diabetics because it makes testing pain free.

I'm thinking that most diabetics are probably used to it? I can't say, as I'm not diabetic, but maybe some diabetics out there can speak of their pain from the needles? Do the finger pricks still hurt or are you immune to the pain after so long now?

It also isn't totally pain free in that you still need a needle for the insulin itself. That and the fact that you have to get the initial tattoo, which is probably going to be a fiar bit of pain compared to a finger prick :)

Re:Pain free? (5, Insightful)

Yorrike (322502) | about 12 years ago | (#4186565)

I've been a type 1 (insulin dependant) diabetic for 19 years (since I was 3) and no matter what anyone tells you, it still hurts. You do get used to it, but it's pain I'd rather avoid, all the same.

Re:Pain free? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186566)

The needles and lancets are pretty small gauge these days, so if you know what you're doing, they generally don't hurt too much... but you do feel them, and you do hit bad spots on occasion. If you test using your fingers often though, they just get completely scarred up. Not the most attractive thing in the world. Plus, it's just a general pain in the ass to have to do it.

Re:Pain free? (2)

jonabbey (2498) | about 12 years ago | (#4186915)

The biggest thing is not being able to have a continuous readout, but the pain and hassle is not to be ignored, either.

And you'd be amazed at how many test strips an insulin dependent diabetic can go through..

What the hell? (1)

Winterblink (575267) | about 12 years ago | (#4186568)

I HIGHLY doubt this will change parents' attitudes towards their children getting a skull or a big frickin dragon wrapped around their arm. I think as a medical tool, a doctor is not going to give some ridiculous design, more like a small shape (dot, square) located somewhere that can be covered easily yet accessible to the patient to view.

It says... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186572)

De diabetes, boss! De diabetes!

a few more benefits (3, Insightful)

exhilaration (587191) | about 12 years ago | (#4186600)

This is cool - I thought of a few more benefits:

1) This would make it far easier for the patient's loved ones to measure their glucose levels. A mother would be able to check a child's glucose level in the middle of the night without waking him/her up. I can also imagine a coworker saying, "Dude, your glucose looks a little low - maybe you should go eat something." :)

2) Even without a bracelet or necklace identifying the patient as a diabetic, emergency personel could quickly see the patient's gluocose levels. If a diabetic is laying on the side of the road about to enter a coma, saving a few seconds could be critical.

Personally, I like (1) - it would be a huge quality of life improvement.

Re:a few more benefits (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186624)

Ugh, I'd hate #1. I don't want anyone else on my case... it's bad enough with dealing with people over it. I realize people mean well, but I'm very well aware of what I'm eating and what I'm not, so they should just leave me the hell alone.

Re:a few more benefits (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4187014)

if your glucose is low, wouldn't you become easily agitated? so them telling you that your glucose is low, wouldn't that just make you more agitated?

Excuse to get tatooed? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186608)

Hey just cure it. Why bother with tatoos. The folks here are University of alberta developed a cell transplant that cures some forms of the condition. Transplanting a few cells easier and rejections not as bad

What I have done. (1)

sbence (105906) | about 12 years ago | (#4186610)

I was on a long flight. Blood sugar was bouncing (high/low), a little sick. Didn't want to burden the people around me with my info and did want to set the stews off. I went to the restroom and wrote with a black bic pen (in the mirror), "Diabetic". Also, the "Hi. Im a diabetic" greeting card you put in your wallet falls apart 6 months after you get it. The medi-necklace breaks easy.

That Tatoo sure is talented (2)

bubblegoose (473320) | about 12 years ago | (#4186615)

De plane, de plane boss!

I thought Tattoo was only good for monitoring incoming planes, now he can track diabetes?

HEY THERE G.I. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186618)

Five dolla me sucky sucky!

Diabetes and American Indian and Alaska Native Wom (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186631)

Diabetes and American Indian and Alaska Native Women

What is diabetes?

Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism---the way our bodies use digested food for growth and energy. Most of the food we eat is broken down by the digestive juices into a
simple sugar called glucose. Glucose is the main source of fuel for the body. After digestion, the glucose passes into our bloodstream where it is available for body cells to use for growth and energy. For the glucose to get into the cells, insulin must be present. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas, a large gland behind the stomach.

When we eat, the pancreas is supposed to automatically produce the right amount of insulin to move the glucose from our blood into our cells. In people with diabetes, however, the pancreas either produces little or no insulin, or the body cells do not respond to the insulin that is produced. As a result, glucose builds up in the blood, overflows into the urine, and passes out of the body. Thus, the body loses its main source of fuel even though the blood contains large amounts of glucose.

Is diabetes a health problem for
American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) women?

Type 2, or Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus, affects roughly 16 million Americans. For American Indians/Alaska Natives (AI/AN), both women and men, the incidence rate of type 2 (or adult) diabetes has reached epidemic proportions. Overall, 12.2 percent of AI/AN women and men over the age of 19 have been diagnosed with diabetes. For AI/AN women, the incidence rate is higher at 12.6 percent, compared with 10.2 percent for men. Specific tribes have much higher rates. For example, 50 percent of Pima Indians in Arizona who are between the ages of 30 and 64 have type 2 diabetes.

The following chart shows the incidence of diabetes by age among AI/AN women compared to non-Hispanic White women.

Prevalence of Diagnosed Diabetes-United States, 1997

20 and older
10.6
4.5

Age-adjusted prevalence
12.6
4.0

Sources: Data on American Indians/Alaska Natives from the 1997 Indian Health Service Patient Care Component file. Data on non-Hispanic Whites from the 1995 National Health Interview Survey.

Are many AI/AN women dying because of diabetes?

The death rate for the AI/AN population due to diabetes is about 2.7 times the rate for the general U.S. population. And researchers have suggested that this rate is actually even higher. At present, only deaths that list diabetes as the underlying cause are included in this mortality rate. This rate does not include the many deaths in which diabetes is a contributing cause. The death rate for AI/AN women has increased 550 percent over a 30-year period, reports a study conducted in New Mexico. This increase in women's mortality rate from diabetes is more than twice that of AI/AN men.

Why are AI/AN women so susceptible to diabetes?

Diabetes has two main causes. One cause is genetics, which means that the disease tends to reoccur in the same population as people marry and have children within that population. Following that logic, full-blooded subpopulations (such as the Choctaw Indians) have the highest incidence rates of diabetes. The exact genetic causes of the disease are not yet known, but insulin resistance, which is common in Pima Indians, seems to play a part. Also, Pima Indian children are more likely to develop diabetes if their parents also developed diabetes at an early age.

The second cause of diabetes is lifestyle patterns. Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes. Obesity has become a problem with the Pima Indians, and obesity rates in AI/ AN populations (as in the general U.S. population) have been rising in recent decades. The lifestyle of the AI/AN population has changed. The common diet is now the Western diet, with high amounts of fat, and many individuals get little physical exercise. These lifestyle patterns contribute to obesity and are a direct risk factor for diabetes. In Pima Indians, who have a 50 percent incidence rate of diabetes, 95 percent of those with diabetes are overweight.

How does diabetes affect AI/AN women during pregnancy?

Pregnant AI/AN women with type 2 diabetes are at an increased risk of having babies born with birth defects. These women are also at risk of developing toxemia, a condition that endangers the lives of both the mother and the infant.

Diabetes that shows up in pregnancy is called gestational diabetes. This form of diabetes is more common among certain AI/AN tribes than in the general population. Gestational diabetes increases the baby's risk for problems such as macrosomia (large body size) and neonatal hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

Although the blood glucose levels of women with gestational diabetes usually return to normal after childbirth, these women have an increased risk of developing gestational diabetes in future pregnancies. In addition, studies show that many women with gestational diabetes will develop type 2 diabetes later in life. Follow-up studies of AI/AN women with gestational diabetes found them to have a high risk of developing subsequent diabetes: 27.5 percent of Pima Indian women developed diabetes within 4 to 8 years after pregnancy, and 30 percent of Zuni Indian women developed diabetes within 6 months to 9 years after pregnancy.

A child with a mother who had diabetes during pregnancy has a very high risk of becoming overweight or obese and developing diabetes at a young age. The exposure to the mother's high blood sugar in the womb contributes to this risk. Longitudinal studies of diabetes in Pima Indians have shown that adult offspring of women with diabetes during pregnancy have significantly higher rates of diabetes than adult offspring of women without diabetes. In fact, 45 percent of the adult offspring of Pima Indian women who were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes prior to their pregnancy developed diabetes by age 20 to 24. In comparison, only 1.4 percent of adult offspring of women without diabetes during their pregnancy went on to develop diabetes by age 24.

The strongest single risk factor for diabetes in Pima children was exposure to diabetes in the womb.

What other complications of diabetes exist in AI/AN women?

Serious complications of diabetes are becoming more prevalent in American Indians and Alaska Natives. The most prominent or concerning are kidney (or renal) failure, amputations, blindness, and heart disease. Ten to twenty percent of all people with diabetes develop kidney disease, and the rate of diabetic end-stage renal failure is six times higher in AI/AN populations. The amputation rates are three to four times higher in AI/AN populations than in the general population. And diabetic retinopathy (which includes all abnormalities of the small blood vessels in the retina of the eye) occurs in 18 percent of Pima Indians and 24.4 percent of Oklahoma Indians.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, and fatal coronary events are often linked to diabetes. However, these deaths would not be included in the mortality rates for diabetes because diabetes would be considered a "contributing" factor.

Infections, including tuberculosis, are of particular concern to both American Indians and Alaska Natives who have diabetes. A study of Sioux Indians showed that their rate of developing tuberculosis was 4.4 times higher if they had diabetes than if they did not.

How can AI/AN women manage diabetes?

Type 2 diabetes is usually treated by controlling diet, increasing physical activity, testing blood glucose levels at home, and, in some cases, taking oral medication or insulin or both. Approximately 40 percent of individuals with type 2 diabetes require insulin injections.

For more information...

You can find out more about diabetes in women by contacting the following organizations:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Indian Health Service

National Women's Health Information Center For Your Heart

National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases

Office on Women's Health : American Indian/Alaska Native http://www.4woman.gov/minority/index.cfm?page=Amer ican_Indian

American Diabetes Association

Source: NWHIC; May 2001

Click to Close Print Version Browser Window

© 2001 Gourmet Connection

Re:Diabetes and American Indian and Alaska Native (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186642)

People of these ethnicities should go back to their more natural, non-western diet. Excess carbs are causing this problem, and going to low-carb helps many people with type 2 diabetes a lot. Many are even able to get completely off medication.

Tips to Control and Maintain Blood Sugar for Life (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186637)

Taking control of diabetes has many benefits. Keeping your blood sugar (also called blood glucose) levels in the normal range can make a big difference now and in the future.

In the short run, you will:

Feel better.
Stay healthy.
Have more energy.
Prevent the signs and symptoms of high blood sugar such as: feeling very thirsty and tired; urinating often; losing a lot of weight; having blurred vision; and having cuts or bruises that are slow to heal.

In the long run, you will:

Lower your chances of having diabetes problems such as eye disease, kidney disease, and nerve damage.
Enjoy a better quality of life.

There are many steps you can take to control your diabetes for life. Follow this three-part action plan to get your blood sugar under control:

Know your blood sugar numbers. Get a complete picture of your blood sugar control with the hemoglobin A1c test and the finger-stick test using a blood glucose meter.
Reach your blood sugar goal. Make healthy lifestyle choices with the help of your health care provider.
Keep your blood sugar under control. Create a plan to stick with your self-care goals and manage setbacks.

Tips to Control Blood Sugar

To Start

Test your blood sugar. Ask your health care provider when and how often.
Keep a record of your blood tests, medicines, and daily events. Review the record with your health care provider.
Take your diabetes medicine as prescribed.
Eat foods to control your blood sugar. See a dietitian to create a meal plan that is right for you.
Get physical activity. If you haven't been active, start slowly. Good activities are walking and swimming.
Check your feet for cuts, blisters, red spots, and swelling. Call your health care provider right away about any sores that won't heal.

To Keep in Mind Along the Way

Stay at a weight that is right for you. Ask your health care provider what you should weigh.
Treat low blood sugar quickly with special tablets or gel made of glucose.
Don't smoke. Talk to your health care provider about ways to quit.
Learn more about diabetes and diabetes self-care. Ask your health care provider to suggest a dietitian and a diabetes educator to help you manage your diabetes.
Seek support from family and friends or join a diabetes support group. Call your local hospital or health department to find a support group.

To Do With Your Health Care Providers

Write down your questions and take them with you to each visit.
Ask for a hemoglobin A1c test at least twice a year and know what your test result means.
Ask for regular blood pressure checks, cholesterol tests, and other blood fat tests.
Have your feet, eyes, and kidneys checked at least once a year or more often if you have problems.
See your dentist at least twice a year. Tell your dentist you have diabetes.

Tips to Maintain Blood Sugar Control

Set Goals You Can Reach

Break a big goal into small steps. If you plan to increase your physical activity, start by taking one 5-minute walk three times a week. Then try walking longer or more often.
Make changes that you can stick with for the rest of your life. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, be active and limit portion sizes. Don't just go on a "diet."

Create a Plan to Deal With Diabetes

Think about all your reasons for staying in control of your blood sugar. Make a list and post it where you see it often.
Figure out what can tempt you to slip up when it comes to blood sugar control. Decide now how you will handle these events next time.
Reward yourself for staying in control. Rent a movie, buy a plant, or spend time with a friend.
Ask for a little help from friends and family when you're down or need someone to talk to.

Manage Setbacks

Admit that you've slipped. Learn what you can from it.
Don't be too hard on yourself. A setback is not the end of the world.

Source: NDEP

Click to Close Print Version Browser Window

© 2001 Gourmet Connection

Tattoo? (1)

goodhell (227411) | about 12 years ago | (#4186645)

I dunno, I saw the title and immeadiately thought of a little guy saying "De blood sugar, de blood sugar!"

Speaking of which .... need to eat.

Heh, (2)

NanoGator (522640) | about 12 years ago | (#4186647)

"Tattoo To Monitor Diabetes"

Look boss! The ... uhh.. Shit. Can anybody think of a diabetes related word that rhymes with 'plane'?

Re:Heh, (1)

orakle (233985) | about 12 years ago | (#4186682)

Pain? Like the pain from a needle?

Re:Heh, (0)

way2trivial (601132) | about 12 years ago | (#4186929)

Look boss! I need sugar cane!

Re:Heh, (1)

bbc22405 (576022) | about 12 years ago | (#4186963)

Re:Heh, (2)

NanoGator (522640) | about 12 years ago | (#4186982)

"I'll come up with a rhyme for "plane", if you can find a way to change "Fantasy Island" to "Islets of Langerhans" without harming the Neilson ratings for it..."

I'm not going to get a +1 Funny with this thread, am I?

Factors That Affect Glucose Meter Performance (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186648)

Factors That Affect Glucose Meter Performance And Making Sure Your Meter Works Properly

The accuracy of your test results depends partly on the quality of your meter and test strips and your training. Other factors can also make a difference in the accuracy of your results.

Hematocrit.

Hematocrit is the amount of red blood cells in the blood. Patients with higher hematocrit values will usually test lower for blood glucose than patients with normal hematocrit. Patients with lower hematocrit values will test higher. If you know that you have abnormal hematocrit values you should discuss its possible effect on glucose testing (and HbA1C testing) with your health care provider. Anemia and Sickle Cell Anemia are two conditions that affect hematocrit values.

Other Substances.

Many other substances may interfere with your testing process. These include uric acid (a natural substance in the body that can be more concentrated in some people with diabetes), glutathione (an "anti-oxidant" also called "GSH"), and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). You should check the package insert for each meter to find what substances might affect its testing accuracy, and discuss your concerns with your health care provider.

Altitude, Temperature and Humidity.

Altitude, room temperature, and humidity can cause unpredictable effects on glucose results. Check the meter and test strip package insert for information on these issues. Store and handle the meter and test strips according to the instructions.

Third-Party Test Strips.

Third-party or "generic glucose reagent strips" are test strips developed as a less expensive option than the strips that the manufacturer intended the meter to be used with. They are typically developed by copying the original strips. Although these strips may work on the meter listed on the package, they could look like strips used for other meters. Be sure the test strip you use is compatible with your glucose meter.

Sometimes manufacturers change their meters and their test strips. These changes are not always communicated to the third-party strip manufacturers. This can make third-party strips incompatible with your meter without your knowledge. Differences can involve the amount, type or concentration of the chemicals (called "reagents") on the test strip, or the actual size and shape of the strip itself. Meters are sensitive to these features of test strips and may not work well or consistently if they are not correct for a meter. If you are unsure whether or not a certain test strip will work with you meter, contact the manufacturer of your glucose meter.

Making Sure Your Meter Works Properly

You should perform quality-control checks to make sure that your home glucose testing is accurate and reliable. Several things can reduce the accuracy of your meter reading even if it appears to still work. For instance, the meter may have been dropped or its electrical components may have worn out. Humidity or heat may damage test strips. It is even possible that your testing technique may have changed slightly. Quality control checks should be done on a regular basis according to the meter manufacturer's instructions. There are two kinds of quality control checks:

Check Using "Test Quality Control Solutions" or "Electronic Controls".

Test quality control solutions and electronic controls are both used to check the operation of your meter. Test quality control solutions check the accuracy of the meter and test strip. They may also give an indication of how well you use your system. Electronic controls only check that the meter is working properly.

Test quality control solutions have known glucose values. Essentially, when you run a quality control test, you substitute the test solution for blood. The difference is that you know what the result should be.

To test your meter with a quality control solution, follow the instructions that accompany the solution. These will guide you to place a certain amount of solution on your test strip and run it through your meter. The meter will give you a reading for the amount of glucose in the sample. Compare this number to the number listed on the test quality control solution. If the results of your test match the values given in the quality control solution labeling, you can be assured the entire system (meter and test strip) is working properly. If results are not correct, the system may not be accurate--contact the manufacturer for advice.

Manufacturers sometimes include quality control solution with their meter. However, most often you must order it separately from a manufacturer or pharmacy.

Some glucose meters also use electronic controls to make sure the meter is working properly. With this method, you place a cartridge or a special "control" test strip in the meter and a signal will appear to indicate if the meter is working.

Take Your Meter with You to The Health Care Provider's Office.

This way you can test your glucose while your health care provider watches your technique to make sure you are using the meter correctly. Your healthcare provider will also take a sample of blood and evaluate it using a routine laboratory method. If values obtained on the glucose meter match the laboratory method, you and your healthcare provider will see that your meter is working well and that you are using good technique. If results do not match the laboratory method results, then results you get from your meter may be inaccurate and you should discuss the issue with your healthcare provider and contact the manufacturer if necessary.

Source: FDA

Click to Close Print Version Browser Window

© 2001 Gourmet Connection

Cosmetic purposes? (1)

Flarelocke (321028) | about 12 years ago | (#4186667)

This sounds like subdermal phosphorescence as discussed in Otherland and other novels as a next generation rebellious self-mutilation.

In other words, like tatoos for the '70's and earrings for the '80's, phosphorescence will be for the future.

Flourescent tattoos (3, Interesting)

FCAdcock (531678) | about 12 years ago | (#4186678)

Flourescent tattoos are not safe

As a professional tattoo artist, and a liscensed one to boot, I am regularly asked if I can/will do the new flourescent tattoos, and I always give the exact same answer. "NO!"

In 20 years, I may, but right now, while there have never been any long term tests to see if these tattoos will cause bodily harm, I refuse to put flourescent ink in anyone. There have been no tests to aprove the flourescent inks for permanent cosmetic use, so no one is certain that these inks are safe. Every bottle of ink in my shop comes with about 20 pages of paperwork documenting that the inks have passed years of medical testing, and have been found safe. The flourescent inks do not come with this paperwork, so I refuse stock those inks.

Think about it, things that glow usualy come with warnings saying not to ingest, that means it's not safe. When you put ink in your skin, it does the same thing as if you swallow it.

Re:Flourescent tattoos (1)

nervous_twitch (579929) | about 12 years ago | (#4186966)

I doubt they would deploy this into regular medical use if it was going to harm the person in any way. I'm sure they have tested (or are going to test) this stuff for toxicity to humans before they start using it. I know you may be a licensed tatoo artist, and know about the dangers of putting something under your skin, but I'm sure these scientists know those things as well.

If I were you, I'd say the same thing to anyone who walks in my shop looking for a "cool new thing" to show off to their friends, but don't scare people from this idea, which could conceivably help many diabetics.

As a side note, I believe (don't quote me, please) that most blacklight fluorescent inks are safer than the "light-charged" type. That might be a solution... the user could just carry one of those handheld mini-blacklights and check the tatoo every once in a while, and the inks would be safer.

Obvious next step... (3, Insightful)

tlambert (566799) | about 12 years ago | (#4186687)

The obvious next step is to vary the type of material being used linearly across the tattoo itself, turning it into a "glucose meter".

As an interesting aside, could this method be used to produce tattoos that were more easily removable as well?

I think I would want this to be removable, particularly when stem cell research finally cures diabetes once and for all, and you are left with a legacy tattoo.

-- Terry

Detecting dangerous glucose levels? (1)

Patik (584959) | about 12 years ago | (#4186740)

"Whoa, the room's spinning and I'm about to faint, but my tattoo is still red so I must be okay."

In Related Developments... (1)

The Beezer (573688) | about 12 years ago | (#4186767)

the same group will also be marketing tongue piercings that double as thermometers and eye piercings that monitor for glaucoma.

Public service anouncment (1)

joew (16307) | about 12 years ago | (#4186802)

I know this is slightly off topic but while we are discussing Diabetes, The symptoms should probably be mentioned.

Ten warning signs which should send you to your doctor:

1. Abnormal, intense thirst
2. Frequent urination.
3. Extreme hunger.
4. Sudden, unexplained weight loss.
5. Slow-healing cuts, bruises or skin infections.
6. Recurrent infections.
7. Blurred vision.
8. Unexplained weakness and extreme exhaustion.
9. Genital itching or impotence.
10. Sweet-smelling breath.

you never know the kidneys you save may be your own.

Re:Public service anouncment (0)

djupedal (584558) | about 12 years ago | (#4186972)

Let's see....I have at least six out of ten and I was just tested and I don't have diabetes.

What does that mean?

Re:Public service anouncment (1)

another_twilight (585366) | about 12 years ago | (#4186981)

Depending on which 6, probably depression or a stress disorder.

Re:Public service anouncment (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 12 years ago | (#4186987)

It means you'll be suing for malpractice in 2 years.

so many diabetics! (1)

neoptik (130091) | about 12 years ago | (#4186855)

Wow, so many type-1 diabetics. Is there a forum somewhere for type-1 diabetics who are interested in /.-y things? I'd be interested in joining one if such a thing existed.

-Thom Covert
thomc@nospam.mit.edu

biopolymers (1)

sstory (538486) | about 12 years ago | (#4186863)

biopolymers like this are really going to be big, have huge applications. soon they will be easy meniscus replacements for knees, and artificial livers built on polymer foams will be awesome.

Better living through chemistry, man.

s/glucose/opiates/ (3, Interesting)

DrVeg (604740) | about 12 years ago | (#4186903)

This really has great medical potential, but I can imagine similar developments of the future used for other purposes. Being able to monitor bodily chemicals could be extremely valuable, but also subject to unexpected uses.
As condition of your employment, you agree to a permanent tattoo that indicates drug use.
Or,
The court orders you to get a drug-monitoring tattoo and scan it by your home internet-connected device every 6 hours.

I'm glad... (1)

PinchDuck (199974) | about 12 years ago | (#4186911)

that the little fella finally got a decent job. He was so crushed when Mr. Raurk gave him the boot.

Tattoo To Monitor Diabetes (1)

Crusty Oldman (249835) | about 12 years ago | (#4186971)

Well, good! I'm happy to see that the little fart is doing something useful with himself, after that failure with his StayFree Mini-Pads.

Anybody remember this? (2)

Our Man In Redmond (63094) | about 12 years ago | (#4186986)

I remember reading a while back about a "needle" that was created using a process similar to etching computer chips. Basically, it consisted of numerous tiny needles in a grid (10,000 to a square inch or something), which reach deep enough into the skin to enter the capillary system, but not deep enough to trigger the nerves and register pain.

I thought this device would have great application in both glucose testing and medication delivery, but haven't heard anything abou it lately. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Re:Anybody remember this? (2)

AnalogBoy (51094) | about 12 years ago | (#4187004)

Apparently pain isn't something researchers are concerned about.

My greatest health fear is becoming a diabetic and having to inject myself, test my blood, etc. Needles and I do NOT mix.